Last Days Here - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Days Here Reviews

October 15, 2013
Last Days here is a great music documentary Singer Bobby Liebling and his band Pentagram, one of the pioneers of Doom Metal, and a very talented band that never got a contract. Liebling began using drugs and faded into obscurity even before he hit it big. The film takes a look at how one fan tries to help Bobby kick his drug habit and record a new record, which may be his comeback record in doing what he was supposed to do. This is a great music documentary very similar to Anvil! The Story of Anvil. This is a must watch for metalheads and anyone that enjoys this type of music. The film takes an unflinching look at the struggles of Liebling and how he tries to get his life together. In terms of a documentary, this is a well crafted movie that is sad, disturbing and uplifting at times. As a diehard metal fan, I really enjoyed the film despite the fact that it was hard to watch at times. The high point of the documentary was seeing the guys from Down, Phil Anselmo and Jimmy Bower meeting Bobby and Anselmo who owns Housecore Records and encouraged Bobby to keep making music. This ranks among the best music documentaries that I have seen and the film does have a similar ending to the Anvil documentary. Pentagram are a brilliant band, and they deserve plenty of exposure. In the end, the film is about a musician getting a second chance and when you see Bobby Liebling on that stage, he really is in his environment. His band shaped a metal subgenre, and has influenced many bands. If you're into the music, give it a shot.
Bill D 2007
½ March 7, 2012
"Last Days Here" is a fairly engaging documentary about the supremely wacky leader of Pentagram, the talented heavy metal band that never got a record contract. Everyone in the metal scene, myself included, has always wondered why a band as good as Pentagram never "made it." After seeing this film, we see why.

Bobby Liebling, the founder and leader of the band, is a complete wacko and a crack and heroin addict. What a shock that they blew every opportunity they ever had. Drugs have a way of doing that.
½ October 30, 2012
Fascinating and tragic doc on the strung out singer of Pentagram. If you're a fan of rock docs like 'Lemmy' and 'Dig', you shouldn't miss this one.
September 20, 2012
A story of addiction and redemption that is unlike anything you have ever seen! Bobby Liebling and his band Pentagram, should have been America's answer to Black Sabbath. But, a series of missed opportunities and a horrifyingly bad drug habit. Kept this very talented musician and his music from the limelight. This gripping documentary focuses on Liebling and the few people in his life, that have not given up hope. That he will kick his habit, face his demons, and make a triumphant return to the stage. This shouldn't be missed!
½ April 19, 2013
A powerfully moving tale of addiction. Bobby Liebling, singer of a long since forgotten but recently revived rock band battles his outrageous drug addiction to try and make a comeback and save his life. It's a truly wonderful piece of work and on several occasions I could feel tears streaming down my face. I really want to recommend this to anyone and everyone, give it a chance. It's hard to watch but its incredibly rewarding on many different levels. A truly wonderful movie.

Final Verdict: A
January 6, 2015
This blew my mind. Bobby's story stirred me up and made me feel like I have my one life to live. Bobby is a lovable person with some incredible demons. He is also quite talented as an entertainer and performer. I'd love to find that original pentagram vinyl. I felt riveted through this wanting Bobby to get his stuff together and succeed. He made me feel like amazing things are possible, especially for people who might think all their hope is lost. This was very worth my time and very inspirational. There's a great story here. It makes me wish that none of the nice people would get old. I could see myself watching this again some day. GO BOBBY!!!!!
½ June 1, 2014
This was a doc on one of the great early metal bands that really showed the downfall of the band due to the singers multiple drug habits that spanded decades. It was honestly sad to see how paranoid and in rough shape Bobby was in for most of the movie. It was still great to see his story told and Pentagram to get some redemption with a tour decades after they formed. A decent flick overall, but still hard to watch someone who self destructed to the point of living in his parents basement for decades.
March 18, 2014
I wasn't expecting much from this because it seemed oddly familiar to another rock doc I watched concerning the band Anvil, given, both Pentagram and Anvil share a similar type of history; which are both bands that never got the recognition they deserved, but what separates this from the fray is that it focused on the struggles of one man, Bobby Liebling, front man for the doom metal legend known as Pentagram. Most documentaries I've seen dealing with this subject have a subtle element of indifference when it comes to the things that break bands apart. It's usually handled as just another egotistical outburst and does little to understand why its happening, only how it is affecting everyone else. The latter happens to be this movie's central focus. Like many other rock docs you'll see interviews from ex-members of Pentagram as well as a few well known faces in the metal world proclaiming their love and support for the band, but what you get here is a front row seat to the troubled psyche of Liebling; which is nothing short of chilling, heart-breaking, and in the end, inspiring.

This movie shows how far the love and devotion of a fan can go and the true impact it can have on the life of an artist. If I took anything from watching this it is that even in your lowest point where it seems that all is lost but the heartbeat in your chest it is never too late to shine through and live life to it's absolute potential. Even if you are not too keen on the heavy metal genre or even dislike the music of Pentagram, I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a hard hitting true story that one can be related to anyone's life that has been in dire straits. That and the music of Pentagram just fucking rules!! \m/
January 21, 2014
Last Days Here (Don Argott and Demian Fenton, 2011)

In the early seventies, Bobby Liebling was the lead vocalist for a band called Pentagram that you've probably never heard of. Pentagram were on the verge of stardom when, according to interview in the documentary Last Days Here, two incidents-one of them caused by Liebling, the other caused by two other band members-basically derailed their entire career, dooming them to lives of obscurity. Fast-forward to 2004. Bobby Liebling is a meth addict living in his parents' basement in suburban Baltimore. In his late forties, Liebling looks at least thirty years older. He would probably have never been captured on film; indeed, he might well have died in obscurity were it not for Sean Pelletier, a record collector and Pentagram fan so obsessed with the band he contacted Liebling and offered to act as the band's manager if Liebling could pull together members from some of the band's classic lineups for a reunion, and as long as Liebling vowed to quit meth, as well as most of the other drugs he was using. Liebling agreed and started making calls, and Pelletier recruited Don Argott and Demian Fenton to film what Pelletier saw as Pentagram's inevitable comeback and world domination. The result is the documentary you see before you.

As they say, the best-laid plans of mice and men, etc. Saying you're going to kick drugs and actually doing it are two entirely different things (says this former smoker). Liebling has moral support from his bandmates, his manager, the filmmakers, and new girlfriend Hallie, another longtime Pentagram fan who got in touch with Liebling (old enough to be her father); the two of them begin a relationship, but if you've ever done that dance with an addict, you know how rocky it is. Indirectly, as well, Liebling has the support of thousands of Pentagram fans who are pulling for the band, some of whom are bigger than Pentagram ever were; Phil Anselmo books Pentagram to open for Down at a show in New York, for example, and there's some pre-show backstage footage of Down members telling Liebling how much his music meant to them as they were growing up, etc. Still, Liebling has a history of-to be generous-flaking out. Is a comeback possible when your lead singer is a nutcase?

I've seen a lot of rock docs over the past few years, and even more per year since subscribing to Netflix again. The best of them all share certain qualities. They illuminate something that isn't entirely obscure, but has traditionally stayed out of the limelight for some reason or other. The filmmakers stay out of the way and let the subjects stand or fall on their own. Performance footage is included, but it feels natural rather than exploitative (or, worse, just there in order to attract fans of whatever it is the documentary is covering). The story itself is inherently interesting, not just to fans, but to a more general audience. Last Days Here qualifies in every regard. (I should point out, for trivia purposes if nothing else, that this was recommended to me by someone who directed another rock doc that fits, Stephen Petrus of City/Ruins: Art in the Face of Industrial Decay.) This is fine filmmaking indeed; well worth your time whether you're a longtime fan or you've never heard of them. ****
January 18, 2014
To understand where Bobby is coming from is to truly fall into madness but you root for him as he throws every break away but still manages to,if not land on his feet atleast land upright.
½ May 24, 2013
Sad and fascinating look at a man whose demons are drugs and self-loathing. His musical talents move a lot of others, but cannot move himself.
April 20, 2013
It is the most intense documentary I have ever watched, and I'm a documentary buff. I held my breath, I prayed for bobby, I felt so anxious half way through the movie I thought I was gonna throw up, it was a rollercoaster ride, and that's what Bobby's life is all about. It reminded me of so many of my favorite rockstars who have/had a drug problem and reminded me how easily one's glamouros life could turn into a complete rubbish pile and that horrifying fact, was insane. I saw on Wikipedia critics thought it was unfinished, well, that's the thing you learn through out the movie. With bobby you can never tell. Amazing, must see movie of the year for me
April 10, 2013
I'm a sucker for redemption stories done well. This movie has it all. It'll make you laugh, cry and genuinely leave you with the notion that it's never too late to accomplish something. Loved it.
March 1, 2013
"Last Days Here" shows the seemingly-hopeless life of a hardcore drug addict through the life of doom metal legend Bobby Liebling of Pentagram. Being a massive fan of Pentagram, I had heard about Bobby Liebling's troubles and I knew that the band had been through a lot of members, but this movie REALLY opened my eyes. It was heartbreaking to see him looking so gaunt, disheveled, and, frankly, like a homeless person who happened to be crashed in someone's basement. This was Bobby Liebling, the singer of one of my favorite doom metal bands!

God, Satan, Krishna, or whomever, bless "Pellet" for befriending Bobby and sticking with him through so much in order to help him get his soul back. When Pentagram actually finally takes the stage, it is like a revival!

The real story here is not about one of the greatest doom metal bands ever, drug addiction, or a band that failed to make it big. In the end, this is a story about a man who is in pain and desperately needs someone to love him. The loneliness he must have felt in the "sub-basement" for decades is unimaginable.

I cannot recommend this movie highly enough for anyone who loves Pentagram.

January 17, 2013
Rarely do you see a documentary where you are puling so hard for someone like Bobby Liebling. We shouldn't care about this worn out rock star who's pissed away every opportunity that's ever been handed to him. This is a man who has bitten the hand of every poor sucker who's tried to feed him, so why should we care? Something strange happens during this film, however. We start to believe in him.

We find ourselves thinking, "Yeah, he may have fucked up in the past, but he seems like a good enough dude." Even when he's seemingly taking advantage of one of his few supporters, his manager Pellet, you still want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Life and his own demons kick this guy in the nuts on a consistent basis, but he still seems genuinely relatable somehow. He's like he's an old bandmate of ours. You know, that righteous son-of-a-bitch that we can never kick out of the group.

Not many films have you rooting for such a slacker anti-hero, but Bobby is the ultimate crack smoking, heroin shooting, pill popping underdog. Just when you think he'll never recover, he comes storming back. If not for the persistence of friend and manager Pellet, this rebirth never happens. This film truly shows you the power of friendship.

Absolutely brilliantly paced, this doc is Film Editing 101. I could only imagine what went into putting this thing together. All those years of footage, Bobby's transformation, jumping from city to city, these filmmakers deserve all the credit they receive for this venture. Not only that, this film has what may be the most shocking ending we've seen in a long time. I did NOT see that coming...
½ November 19, 2012
Unlike some documentaries in the same vein, I was actually in suspense of whether or not things would work out or not; in fact I thought they wouldn't. It was a pleasant surprise when they did.
September 20, 2012
August 26, 2012
Saw on Netflix. Great movie!
August 22, 2012
A score from Stars of the Lid!