The Last King of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last King of Scotland Reviews

½ November 17, 2015
I was watching this on TV and I figured it would be interesting. My eyes were closing and I was sure I'd fall asleep. Idi Amin--I mean--Forest Whitaker marches on stage for his first scene and it was, like, whoa, this dude is incredible. Every scene, every shot, every frame that involves Idi Amin is jaw-dropping; there's a sense of "yeah, he seems al'ight.....but I'm staying 50 yards away from the man." Whitaker captures the Ugandan dictator's erratic behavior so well that it seems natural. That's a very tricky thing to do, acting wise, to have to shift gears like that without being over-the-top and it pays off. Idi comes off as a charming, caring people's man one second and in the next he's ordering someone's death. It feels more like a documentary than a fictional story but I really do gotta shower Mr. Forest with praise because his performance kept me wide awake--he really did deserve that Best Actor award. I wouldn't rewatch "The Last King of Scotland" for anything else but for the portrayal of Idi Amin.
½ February 22, 2012
Forest Whitaker's performance is a real show-stopper.
½ October 10, 2015
Watched this on 10/10/15
Tightly directed by Kevin Macdonald, this haunting fictionalized biopic has an award winning performance from Forest Whitaker. The film keeps on building tension and it just never stops until it reaches the end. Moreover, it does not have the boring nature of many political thrillers.
½ September 29, 2015
What a powerhouse performance by Whitaker that everything else is moot....very well done moot but moot never the less.
May 13, 2012
A topic close of the heart of every Indian who lived in Africa, a tale of greed and wanting, a tale of melancholy and infamouness at the very benign, The last king tales a tale of power and of love which is deeply entrancing to say the least.
March 18, 2012
Forest Whitaker's performance is one that actors and film buffs will be talking about for all time, but the fact that they have to have a Magical Mystical Caucasian (and an idiotic, unsympathetic one at that) kind of hinders the film. I don't need a fictional avatar to see the story. I want the story itself, as it really was, without the various myths shown in this film. Other than that, a very good film and by far Forest Whitaker's greatest performance.
½ July 9, 2007
Despite highly fictionalized, it's a vivid portrait of Idi Amin for layman like me.
½ August 28, 2015
An amazing story which depicts Amin's changing nature but focuses more so on the young Scottish doctor and how he gets tangled in the web. The final section is quite intense. 1001
July 25, 2015
A informative and interesting movie about the kick-start of the fall of one of History's most infamous regimes.
June 20, 2015
Great to watch Whitaker's Academy Award performance, well earned as it was. A fascinating movie with a great script from a great book, and James McAvoy did a nice job, too.
June 7, 2015
Worthy piece of film making, just for the performance themselves. But the subject matter and how it's told is interesting as well
May 22, 2015
Solid film from Kevin Macdonald. Forest Whitaker delivers an unforgettable performance as Idi Amin. The problematic element in the film is James McAvoy's character. We see the brutality and guilt of Amin and the film feels restricted by this limitation. It is an odd choice from the storytelling perspective as this is a fictional character. It would have been more interesting to examine Amin through another and preferably Ugandan perspective.
½ May 16, 2015
Brutal thriller with a great performance by Forest Whitaker.
½ April 22, 2015
A really powerful movie. Forest Whitaker is amazing in this, as is James McAvoy. Even more powerful to know that the story is based on true events.
April 22, 2015
Good movie and excellent gripping story about the corruptness of the Uganda government during the 70's
½ April 1, 2015
It's true that Forest Whitaker does a good job notwithstanding what pushes him over the edge is he looks exactly like Idi Amin but The Last King of Scotland's bold capture of Uganda poverty and desperation is what deserves the most praise.
½ March 24, 2015
Gongs do not sound as it's said to be.
November 23, 2007
February 20, 2015
This is the first and only movie that I have watched with Forest Whitaker in it. I also had no previous knowledge about Idi Amin, the Ugandan dictator in the 70's who is responsible for the deaths of 300,000 people. I can tell you however that Forest Whitaker, who portrays Amin in the film, is simply phenomenal. He appears likable and charismatic, only showing glimpses of his brutality until towards the end of the movie. This is a very typical characteristic of past dictators. It is important to note that the protagonist of this movie is Amin's Scottish physician, who is a fictional character. Thus, it would have been preferable if there was more emphasis on Amin but Whitaker's superb performance alone is a good reason to watch this movie.
½ February 1, 2015