17% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Last Picture Show Reviews

February 8, 2014
The film's period and setting are terrific featuring impressive performances but a little bit sad themes.
February 5, 2014
Bleak but brilliant. Small town life made to show how desperate it can make everybody. Amazing film.
August 21, 2013
So many live in purgatory. Every one a victim of time and place. Utterly heartbreaking. A time machine, A hypnotic experience, A masterpiece.
August 24, 2011
One of the best (and one of my personal favorite) slice-of-life tales. Through perfect use of subtlety, this movie captures the sense of aimlessness felt from locales that don't have any direction or opportunity with a wide range of characters clearly illustrating everything. Grim, gritty, and sad, this movie is expertly avoids melodrama, actively searching for hope in a place that offers none.
Matty Stanfield
December 27, 2013
Film art doesn't and can't get more potent that it does here.
December 27, 2013
The coming-of-age tale about a small fading town inhabited by fading characters is a tragic, poignant film that is marvelously evocative in its atmosphere, its '50s period detail, and its remarkable performances.
December 18, 2013
This movie seems to want to make you feel sad for what's lost, but the vitality that throbs through it transcends this. Bogdanovich knew how to cast actors and highlight character turns. There are great actors like Ben Johnson, Timothy Bottoms and Ellen Burstyn. Cybill Shepard owns the screen as the manipulative temptress. This movie paved the way for some of the great realistic movies of the 70s (the golden, pre Star Wars era). Last Picture Show is a must see for any enthusiastic movie fan.
December 17, 2013
a movie about pool(s).
December 13, 2013
Really liked this one. Kept my attention, unique storytelling style, and oh Cybill Shepherd.
filmfanatic
January 9, 2011
A coming of age saga set in a small town, rural environment that has rightfully earned its title as an American classic. The story tells of three friends growing up in a small Texas town who all fear the monotony of adulthood and an eternally boring life in a dull, windswept town.The story emphasizes the unnecessary changes that occur as we grow into adulthood, and the titular picture show's closing is a prime example of that. Overall, a quality film that is not talked about as much as it should be. Bridges, Bottoms, Leachman, and Shepherd all give impeccable performances. Last Picture Show is a must-see for people of all ages.
John B

November 20, 2013
I'm obviously reviewing all the "lasts". The Last Picture Show is a tremendous look at nostalgia and how it is lost due to inevitable rot and change in general. How do we hang on to what we have left when time moves so quickly?
filmlover1994
November 10, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 2, 2013
manages to be both fresh and old-no easy feat
October 30, 2013
There are some great performances and some great scenes, however, I am not sure if this classic has really endured the test of time. Those dry, vacant, dust towns of post Dust Bowl America seems so far removed now, and do not carry the nostalgia quality that is seen in more vibrant period pieces of the same era.
October 26, 2013
Ruth Popper: "Never you mind, honey. Never you mind."
October 1, 2013
An outstanding look at the good old days.
November 7, 2012
Good film, like American grafiti but with atmospherics. Full of recognisable faces and some very good performances. A charming film.
Dave J
September 12, 2013
Thursday, September 12, 2013

(1971) The Last Picture Show
DRAMA

The story of a deterioration of a small town based on a book written by Larry McMurtry which in actuality is not a true variation in terms of real life. It is a pessimistic point of view whereas it centers on a couple of teenagers coming back from war doing what regular teenagers do. The only purpose for the town to exist is so that truckers using it as a passersby upon carrying goods to another town- for none of the truckers stop for coffee. We're then introduced to some teenage characters as they're going to the one theatre to watch movies and eating in the one diner, much of the original residents had already left. No mention of policing or hospitals nearby we're not given the whole picture which limits viewers to this kind of format leaving us with nothing except the atmosphere, and that can sometimes not efficient to hold the movie. Winner of two acting Oscars for Ben Johnson and Cloris Leachman out of 8 nominations.

2.5 out of 4 stars
Andy G
September 10, 2013
I'd like to think that there is a truly American film. And if there is, it is The Last Picture Show, Peter Bogdanovich's national epic. Based on Larry McMurtry's novel, and adapted to screen by the author, The Last Picture Show succeeds in capturing both a time of change, its agents, and the characters that we find ourselves caring so much about.
This film is unmistakably Western, grand as it is. Even with its most serious moments the movie's characters try to crack a smile under their warm tears. It is important, and sad, and moving, and oh my god, you'll be close to tears when Billy dies. He was just trying to sweep the street, goddamit. Really, this movie is so American.
November 28, 2012
With overly sexual intentions, unrealistic story and overly dramatic ending, The Last Picture Show is, as most of the films from this era, a failure. It is a film which relies completely on sexuality and naked shots which is extremely annoying. and there is, of course, no need to mention how utterly overrated this film is.