Critics Consensus: Arnold Makes a Satisfying Return in The Last Stand

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a border skirmish (The Last Stand, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Johnny Knoxville), haunted children (Mama, starring Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), and a shady election (Broken City, starring Mark Wahlberg and Russell Crowe). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

The Orphanage wasn't in the same realm as his personal output?

Jan 17 - 10:55 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

On the subject of horror, what do you guys make of the Evil Dead remake? Think it will be good?

Jan 17 - 10:59 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Good? Maybe. But remaking Evil Dead probably won't ever sit well with me. I grew up on that series and I just don't see a remake doing it justice. W/o an Ash, its going to lose a lot of what made the originals so great.

Jan 18 - 12:09 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Just what we need in a Post-Cabininthewoods world: an inferior remake of the movie that inspired it.

Jan 18 - 09:03 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Sam Raimi doesn't realize his brand is gonna get stale. And I have had a beef with his past films, "Spider-Man 3" included.

Jan 18 - 05:23 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Don't really give a shit, actually care more about the CARRIE remake.

Jan 18 - 10:09 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about that one. That one has potential for sure.

Jan 18 - 12:42 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I have a great amount of respect for the 1976 Brian de Palma version, however it's horribly dated now. Plus, this new one has a fine director and star and, reportedly, it's going to be much more faithful to the Stephen King novel. Then again, MGM pushed it to October dammit lol!

Jan 18 - 02:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That could be a Halloween-minded move.

Jan 18 - 03:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It seems to be missing any sense of humor. I don't mean the balls-out insanity of "II", and I know some fans turned off by the slapstick in "AOD", but even the first film is filled with a very clever approach to the material. Raimi's skill and charm is already evident there. Maybe like George Lucas, I think it's possible that Raimi and Campbell have forgotten why so many fans fell in love with "Evil Dead" in the first place. This remake doesn't seem to reflect any of those qualities. It might be good, but it won't be Deadite-worthy.

Jan 18 - 11:02 AM

Dave J

Dave J

The new generation is probably going to enjoy these remakes than the adults!

Jan 18 - 12:45 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Agreed. And I felt the same way when seeing "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" last weekend at my local theater.

Jan 18 - 05:25 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

They shouldn't have made the remake. They were better off doing a sequel with an older Bruce Campbell and going from there. There is only one king, baby.

Jan 18 - 01:11 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

First you want to watch me, now you want to remake me. Blow.

Jan 18 - 01:33 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I kind of admire the completely balls out approach they are going for with the Evil Dead remake, and the newest trailer was quite intense, but I am keeping my expectations in check because there is a large chance it will completely miss what made the originals special.

Jan 18 - 06:41 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 18 - 12:09 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I must say I was expecting the worst from Mama. Usually a film coming right after an actor/actress has got an oscar nomination is a miss, sometimes so bad that it actually kills their chance of winning the oscar (e.g, Eddie Murphy in Norbit). At least Mama looks only average, so it shouldn't have any impact on Chastain's oscar chances.

Will check out the Stand when it comes out on the home market. I'm glad to see Schwarzenegger returning to the action genre but it doesn't look like something I'd rush out to see.

Jan 18 - 12:53 AM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

I thought it have always been in horror that deaths always have some moral-related reasons. I don't think people dying randomly is all that common even from the times of the Universal monster movies.

Jan 18 - 01:48 AM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

You should add that The Last Stand is from the director of I Saw The Devil and The Good, The Bad and The Weird. I'm sure this alone will be the appeal to many.

Jan 18 - 01:50 AM

Janson Jinnistan

And don't forget his great "Tale of Two Sisters". That does make a difference, despite the poor track record of Asian transplant directors in Hollywood. I'm hoping that the corny trailers are strictly meant to appeal to an "Expendables" audience and fans of Ah-nuld's corny quips , and doesn't reflect the actual quality of the movie. It wouldn't be the first time an awful trailer was masking a much better film behind it.

Jan 18 - 10:51 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Speaking of Asian directors coming to Hollywood, is anybody else really excited for Park Chan Wook's American debut, Stoker? It looks like Wook managed to take the style and mood that was so prominent in his Korean features, and bring it to the states undiluted.

Jan 18 - 06:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Yes I am, and I'm glad I'll only have a couple months wait after the Sundance hype.

Jan 18 - 07:02 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

The car knife fight sequence in I Saw The Devil is incredible, and I am really hoping The Last Stand features complex, expertly shot set-pieces like that.

Jan 18 - 06:43 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

What is going on with the Horror-genre is that people have the wrong view of the genre these days. As in, indeed that it has to all be in this certain typical way as how these movies are these days. Filmmakers (that really want to make horror) should really go back to the idea of what real horror is and come up with something actually original.
People always instantly think of scares, killing and murdering, death, torture, monsters, ghosts and all those typical things. But that's just not the way to approach "horror". FEAR is (only) one of the key things to look at. You have to get under people's skins and into their minds, and that's not done by showing gore, especially not the bodyparts of some people on-screen that you don't care about.

The Horror-genre as it stands now is in a very deep rut and barely anybody knows how to really use it, so studios keep on hammering out the same type of "horror"-flick multiple times a year.
In fact, even recently there have been more shocking and horrific scenes and images in good movies that aren't made as a Horror-movie, than the actual so called "Horror-movies" themselves are.
So they should really just lay off trying to force "horror" and trying to make "horror movies" specifically, and just make good movies. That's also the mistake, deciding on a genre before you made your creation, because in fact it should be placed in a genre only when it's done.
But you can't just decide to make a Horror-movie and then only throw together clichés, mix things up a little, shoot it, and expect it to be a good and scary movie per definition. That's just not how creating ANYTHING works.

Jan 18 - 03:18 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Janson, thanks for ckearing the RT's confusion about Hors Satan. It does read that it is about Mumia Abu-Jamal, but when I looked at the stills it didn't seem to be about it at all. And then I forgot to search the web to double-check.

Jan 18 - 03:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't like to get thorny at RT for technical mistakes, but I should also mention that the "Last Stand" directer's name is misspelled on that page, and that his full profile is listed as "Ji-woon Kim" (not JEE-woon), and that's why it slipped my mind when I was going over the new releases yesterday.

Jan 18 - 10:56 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Actually I noticed the spelling mistake, but only because I already knew who the director was. If I didn't, I would probably assume it was some other director with a slightly similar name.

Jan 20 - 06:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Obviously you're right, Hugo. It was my oversight. But it added to the slight confusion because we haven't yet decided on proper order of Korean names. So you have the more definite page on the director as "Ji-woon Kim" while "Last Stand" is listed under "Kim Jee-woon". I should have made the connection, but it slipped by me.

Jan 20 - 01:57 PM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

I'm sure I probably shouldn't spend a buck on "Mama". It will certainly dissapoint me. But i'm still eager to see it. It's just that there are barely any good new horror movies being released that a horror fan such as myself gets really desperate. Seeing as I hate the "torture-horror" that has been dominating the genre from some time now (seems to be dying out, one can only hope that is so), I've been satisfying my horror-pangs through books and altough they most definatly due the trick(those who claim that books can never be scary obviously suffer from a severe lack of imagination and possibly ODD) I miss watching a new good horror movie. So "Mama" is in my "to-watch" list. Might also check out "Hors Satan" now that I know that it's not about Mumia Abu-Jamal (thanks to Janson for clearing that up for me). I couldn't care less about all the other movies here listed.

Jan 18 - 03:42 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Jan 18 - 09:03 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Jan 18 - 05:23 PM

Shane Sturgeon

Shane Sturgeon

The Last Stand looks pretty good. I did like Arnold movies in the 80s.

Jan 18 - 10:06 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Loved it when she finally showed her titties in LAWLESS.

Jan 18 - 10:08 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Don't really give a shit, actually care more about the CARRIE remake.

Jan 18 - 10:09 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about that one. That one has potential for sure.

Jan 18 - 12:42 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Jan 18 - 02:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That could be a Halloween-minded move.

Jan 18 - 03:24 PM

Jan 18 - 10:51 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Jan 18 - 06:45 PM

Jan 18 - 07:02 PM

Jan 18 - 10:56 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Jan 20 - 06:16 AM

Jan 20 - 01:57 PM

Jan 18 - 11:02 AM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

Horror is in the eye of the beholder. The genre is fine for those that it really matters. To see who those folks are you just have to visit any of the annual conventions, as I do, and you will see smiling faces lining up to chat with icons from the good, bad and the ugly form the genre. the majority of mainstream critics have never been big supporters of the genre, and in all honestly from what iv'e read in these comments sections neither are a majority of folks that post here. I've been a fan of the genre since i saw NOTLD when i 13 and will always show my support by going to see the films in theaters. Not all of them, but the ones that appeal to my tastes. As will all the true horror fans.

Jan 18 - 12:35 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah I like the classics a lot Colson. Hope your right about the Torture stuff running it's course. Possessions are so dull to me. I don't know if it's because I just never believed in it or if its how slowly a lot of them move a long but it's never been my thing. I think Session 9 is on Netflix. I'll put it in the queue. Thanks for the rec. Infernal dude. You make a good point Mohd. It's probably because classic moral problems seemed more innocent. I want to sleep with my girlfriend being a moral outrage still seems more rational than Lets break into an abandoned ware house for a sex orgy or lets say Who the F- are you! to the 7 foot tall zombie monster.

Jan 19 - 12:04 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about that one. That one has potential for sure.

Jan 18 - 12:42 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Jan 18 - 02:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That could be a Halloween-minded move.

Jan 18 - 03:24 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I'm a huge fan of action films that devoids the use of CGI so it's "The Last Stand" for me as well!

Jan 18 - 12:43 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup