RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects

Summary

This week on home video, we've got an Arnold Schwarzenegger actioner, Steven Soderbergh's psychological thriller, and the latest Young Adult novel adaptation. Then, we've also got a comedy featuring some screen legends and a crime thriller starring Jason Statham, as well as some reissues that include a couple of Hayao Miyazaki films, an American comedy classic, and a couple of gangster flick collections. Click through for the full list! Back to Article

Comments

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

As much as I loved Arny, Last Stand sucked. Side Effects was a typical Soderbergh movie, and Beautiful Creatures looks like a Twilight rip off.

May 20 - 04:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Still have to see "Side Effects".

VERY intrigued by the extras on the Miyazaki and Warner Gangsters releases. "Medium Cool" is a classic, but damn you Criterion. You can't get blood from a stone.

May 20 - 06:09 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Last Stand is already out on video? When the hell was it in theaters? Must not have been more than a microsecond, because I remember those trailers being shoved in our face before every movie pretty recently.

May 20 - 06:09 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

What a coincidence! I'm planning on seeing SIDE EFFECTS at the cinema (I'm Chilean) tomorrow. I hope I like it.

If it hadn't been for some minor details that grew into big flaws, THE LAST STAND would've been a cool throwback, but it's just a mediocre movie. I disagree about STAND UP GUYS. No, it DOES have a plot with no direction (and a lot of heart), but I also didn't like the performances. BEAUTIFUL CREATURES is worse than all of the TWILIGHT movies combined. Except for Thompson and Rossum (and MAYBE Irons), the acting is bad, and the chemistry isn't special enough for the plot to be LESS boring, clichéd and repetitive.

May 20 - 06:14 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Last Stand may be worth renting.

May 20 - 07:16 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

I'm only gonna buy 'Beautiful Creatures' on Blu-Ray and True Blood Season 5
skipping everything else

May 21 - 12:27 AM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Beautiful Creatures have some of the most realistic portrayal of teenagers in recent films other than 21 Jump Street and The Amazing Spider-Man. The plot kinda meanders but ends with a very mature take on the fight between good and evil. I kinda wish Star Wars could learn from it when doing that whole Light vs Dark thing (the game Knights of The Old Republic 2 actually handled this maturely too).

May 21 - 01:40 AM

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

I'm awful at detecting sarcasm, but I'm guessing this is it.

May 21 - 01:18 PM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

I have had my fill with Steven Soderbergh. Every movie he puts out add to little more than overrated, poorly scripted big names ensemble. I have not seen Side Effects but I am fairly certain that will be yet another faulty movie with a plot whose holes you could drive a truck through riddled with poorly constructed dialogues. I'll pass on that and every other movie listed here.

May 21 - 04:57 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I've heard Side Effects is a real fun Thriller that will keep you guessing. I saw 20 seconds of the preview and have a general idea of exactly where it's going but hey I could be wrong. Looking forward to that one.

May 21 - 06:06 AM

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

I will have to rent Side Effects, the Contemporary collection ispretty amazing (but I already own most of them) , and the Miyazaki films would be a great addition to my own personal collection.

May 21 - 01:16 PM

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

I'm awful at detecting sarcasm, but I'm guessing this is it.

May 21 - 01:18 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"The Last Stand" for it's action scenes without CGI, and "Side Effects" for it's mystery concept!

May 21 - 01:37 PM

Nick Ackernecht

Nick Ackernecht

I loved The Last Stand, and I want to see Stand Up Guys

May 21 - 05:31 PM

Ralph Pleczkowski Jr.

Ralph Pleczkowski Jr.

I read a news article parody, possibly from The Onion, that read "Kristen Stewart was originally interested in joining Steven Soderbergh for his new movie 'Side Effects'. She was immediately denied the role when producers realized they didn't have to pay her to act as a rock when they could just find one laying on the ground and use that one instead."

Quite hilarious.

May 21 - 05:55 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Side Effects is another great Channing Tatum movie and a big one for Steven Soderbergh. The movie was well done, gotta rent it this week.

Iknow both Parker and The Last Stand were big flops last January, but that doesn't mean we still love action movies. I gotta rent them also.

Beautiful Creatures, on the other hand, just not gonna cut it for me. Just like The Host, it's a Twilight rip-off. I'll pass.

May 21 - 06:40 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Some good releases this week: I'll rent Last Stand(WHOOO! Ji-Woon Kim!) and Side Effects(WHOOO! Rooney Mara!). I might buy Howl's Moving Castle and Totoro. That contemporary gangster collection sounds nice too.

May 21 - 10:21 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Just bought Last Stand on DVD. I loved the humor and action and how well it was balanced in this film.

May 22 - 12:11 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel