21% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Last Starfighter Reviews

March 28, 2014
The special effects are very dated, but given how old this movie is it is forgivable. It's not the greatest movie, but it is so easily identified with the time period it was released. It may be nostalgia, but it's still fun movie that can be watched by the whole family. Add in some of the legit funny moments and charm, and well, it's a solid movie to watch.
October 13, 2012
An underrated movie that is great fun
lshigdon
March 16, 2014
One of the good ones from the 80s.
June 16, 2013
Classic cheezy sci-fi fun. Kind of a knockoff of Star Wars, but not in a bad way. 6.5/10
January 10, 2014
Interesting little plot, though it's nothing we haven't seen before. Fun characters, aged effects, and entertaining action. One of the better Star Wars predecessors.
January 8, 2014
En ganska tam, Star Wars-influerad åttiotalsscifi. Några figurer är småkul och konceptet är smart, men resten är inte mycket att skriva hem om. Intressant nog är alla rymdeffekter datoranimerade, vilket förstås var en sensation när filmen kom. Effekterna har dock åldrats sämre än de praktiska som vanligen användes på den här tiden. Slutet lägger upp för en uppföljare som aldrig blev av. Man förstår varför.
December 16, 2013
It feels like movies have an expiry date like food that gets rotten. In fact I'm not sure that the average rating of 87% that users have given was appropriate even when this move was fresh. The actors cannot act! The story is pathetic. The logic is flawed. I am a sci-fi lover but this one was just a terrible movie, and a painful waste of my time...
witster18
January 22, 2007
Great movie. The first thing that stands out is the music(score) - awesome. The second is the blend of comedy, sci-fi, and even a few horror notes. On one hand, the film has some visual pitfalls, but on the other it's one of the first films to incorporate this much CGI since 1982's "Tron". The CGI was coming along, but it still wasn't close to where it is today. The acting, the script, and the overall direction are above average - especially for an under-funded 80's sleeper sci-fi. Under-appreciated. Works more often than not.
November 13, 2013
The story isn't not fun, but it's all just too cheesy for me to get into. The cheese is part of the package, but there's cheese and then there's cheese. I kinda feel the same way about Galaxy Quest.
April 12, 2013
I saw this movie in the 80's when it came out, and absolutely loved it then, and still have it as one of my all time favorites. This is also the movie that started it all, as far as CGI and computer generated special effects. The special effects may seem a little "cheesy" now, but for back then it was cutting edge. In fact, to do the special effects needed, the movie studio had to get permission for and use the governments CRAY computers of the time, and it took all they had, pushed to the limit to get what they achieved in this film. It's a "dare to live the dream" type film, with comedy, heartstrings, and lots of adventure!! Robert Preston was fighting cancer during this film, but you would never know it, he was superb and to me was the heart of the fim. Lance guest was perfect for the part and played his role to the nines. And Cathererine Mary Stewart, who was so big in many of the 80's teenage movies, (and yes, I like many other young men at the time, had a movie crush on her to be sure), played Maggie like it was her real everyday character. All I can say is give yourself a treat, and watch this film, for it's good family fun. And if like me, you went and seen it when it came out way back when, view it again and travel back in time for a couple of hours, and let those old memories flood back in, as it fills you with inner smileys!!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 13, 2013
The Last Star Fighter is an entertaining Sci Fi action adventure that I quite enjoyed. Although not perfect, the film is very entertaining from start to finish. Many critics have said that this is similar to Star Wars, and I can see why, but there is still plenty of originality to the film to make it a memorable viewing experience. Though not perfect, The Last Star Fighter is still a film with plenty of charm, and nostalgia value, and for that it works very well. Director Nick Castle crafts a Sci Fi adventure with heart, and the cast do a great job in their performances to really make this an amusing ride. Although not as great as others in the genre, this is a film worth seeing if you're a fan of Sci Fi. The film's flaws are that it does look a bit dated by today's standards, but if you grew up watching it, you won't mind that much. Some areas could have been improved upon as well, and I felt that this film could have been great, instead it's a film that's good, but never realizes its potential. Overall, the film is entertaining and it is a film that manages to work around its shortcomings to create something memorable. The cast keep you engaged and there are some impressive effects that are a highlight of the picture. I found this one to be much better than what I thought it was going to be. If you're looking for a good Sci Fi film, then give this one a shot, you may be surprised by how good this one is.
October 6, 2013
fluffy bit of 80s nostalgia, but definitely above average for it's clever scripting, a fun cameo by Robert Preston, and a terrifically spirited performance by Dan O'Herlihy in heavy makeup.
October 5, 2013
This movie had a neat idea, but the execution of it was a bit too silly. The special effects are almost humorous and most of the acting is bad. This could have been so much better if they dared to take the material a bit more seriously.
vegeland2001
August 24, 2013
Excellent fun movie. Great on a boring Sunday afternoon.
August 10, 2013
I had low expectations for this movie and it surprised me. It is clearly trying to capture some of the momentum and popularity of star wars. Catherine Mary Stewart is a fox. The first movie to use CGI instead of models for the space battles, its bad but not as bad as it could be. The angle they should have taken with this movie is "playing that video game is a waste of time you will never amount to anything get a job" angle.
cvbrian33
August 2, 2013
It was a 80's movie. A good one in comparison to what was out there. And a extremely fond memory for me. I read the book first and was not disappointed with movie. I think the animation and effects were great for the time. Please do not "re-imagine" this movie.
July 14, 2013
One of my favorite movies. :)
July 10, 2013
classic. brings back memories watching it again
June 27, 2013
REVISITADA: Hermosamente Mediocre! =)