The Last Tycoon Reviews

June 18, 2010
While itā??s not Elia Kazanā??s usual style, itā??s a very interesting story with a lot to offer. You can instantaneously feel that itā??s incomplete and fragmented, but it works with Robert De Niroā??s performance as Stahr. This has great performances from everyone and itā??s got a nice critique about Hollywood and movie making, but it never really answers any of the questions it asks. This is about as much as you can expect though, considering the circumstances, and nothing to be ashamed of.
jjnxn
June 22, 2008
With a cast like this there is no way this should be the snoozefest it is. Moves at a glacial place to no real resolution.
Harlequin68
½ July 25, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "The Last Tycoon," Monroe Stahr(Robert De Niro) is the head of production at International World Films in the 1930's, making movies to keep people's minds off the Depression. He lives for his work, spending little time outside of it, since the tragic death of his lady love about a decade before. One night, an earthquake strikes the studio while he is sleeping in his office. Out to inspect the damage, he notices two women floating by on a prop; one of whom, Kathleen Moore(Ingrid Boulting), reminds him of his lost love. Now, he is obsessed with finding her again...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"The Last Tycoon" is a detailed and captivating movie with a breezy tone until the final minutes when it begins to drag. The movie takes place when the studio system was at its height in Hollywood.(The casting of Robert Mitchum, Ray Milland, John Carradine and Tony Curtis acknowledges the old studio system while Theresa Russell and Anjelica Huston point towards the future. And Jeanne Moreau represents the revolutionary French New Wave.) This was at a time when for better or worse the studio boss was king and directors, actors and writers were little more than craftsmen making movies on a production line. Thankfully the movie is not nostalgiac, simply showing one way of making films. [/font]
½ July 4, 2006
I've read a lot of reviews that complain about this film's "glacial pace", but if I may be so bold, I think a lot of people are misplacing their criticism. If anything, the film moves forward a little too quickly and sheds some crucial character insight in the process. However, I was pleased with the movie's tonal approach of distance, and the atmosphere of quiet sadness it established. This is a withdrawn piece that speaks very little at times and expects a lot from the audience. The direction, writing and performances all serve towards its languid essence and the result is a respectably executed movie that falls short of the greatness it could have achieved. Robert De Niro's lead performance is exciting to watch - a sketch of a character with a lot of texture that we never quite get a grasp of. His brief moments with Jack Nicholson make this film worth a watch alone. Watching those two screen legends feed off each other made me a happy viewer. This isn't a film I would recommend to many people, but I enjoyed it extensively and I presume it's something I'll revisit at least once.
July 17, 2011
Despite excellent cast and a compelling story, this movie somehow fails to generate much of dramatic tension. Some critic described it as "constipated", and I think the term fits it perfectly.
May 23, 2014
One misguided movie. DeNiro did the best he could, and Theresa Russell stole her scenes, but I felt sorry for the actors. Weak script; mechanical direction.
½ March 21, 2014
You may expect a bit more from a movie starring Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson but this is so slowly moving and at times quite a bore. The scene when Jack and Robert play together is memorable nonetheless.
November 9, 2013
Snooze-A-Palooza, I'm sorry.
½ September 10, 2008
Elia Kazan now admits that he directed this adaptation, his last Hollywood film, for the money. Unfortunately, it looks it.
½ August 17, 2013
I suppose some part of America are gentile

A movie producer that is exceptional at what he does quickly becomes a rising young star as a youth. He obtains the girl of his dreams who stands by his side but they are never married. The producer becomes obsessive compulsive about his projects and his life slowly falls apart despite all of his millions. Can the producer hold onto his true love or will that life fall apart also?

"I do hope we'd meet again."
"I'd be sorry if we didn't."

Elia Kazan, director of On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, Splendor in the Grass, A Face in the Crowd, Baby Doll, and Pinky, delivers The Last Tycoon. The storyline for this film is pretty good but delivered in a methodical manner with a script that is okay but a step down from most of Kazan's work. The cast is brilliant and includes Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Robert Mitchum, Tony Curtis, and John Carradine.

"I think it's great of you to build a house for me without even knowing what I look like."

I DVR'd this picture due to its amazing cast and I looked forward to seeing how Kazan used them. Unfortunately, the film was too slow and I did not find the main character overly compelling. I felt the film was dry and a bit stale and one of my least favorite Kazan works. I'd skip this film.

"I'm dangerous when I am drunk."

Grade: C
½ March 10, 2013
This should have been so good. and it is. its just that; the love story wich takes up most of the middle part of the movie, is of no interest at all, even as its supposed to be the motor of the story, it takes away from it. everything else is terrific, the writers guild storyline is compelling, all the jeanne Moreau scenes are priceless, and Robert Mitchum is just awesome in there... so why did it have to waste 45 minutes having sex on the beach with a cardboard lady caracter that has no appeal apart from prettiness. If i could erase the middle part, id give this movie 4.5. but i cant.
½ July 15, 2011
What a great movie, terrific performances and pretty moving and funny at some times, DeNiro is brilliant!
September 13, 2011
In hindsight this was probably not the appropriate movie to further expand my knowledge of Kazan's infamously strong body of work. While I was very impressed by the likes of East Of Eden and A Streetcar Named Desire, I surprisingly found myself drifting through the movie, unable to really grasp any attachment with the characters involved in the dramatization of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel surrounding a movie producer's spiraling decline due to the intense demands he puts upon himself. Maybe it was intentional for his characters to be so distant, so detached, but it effectively left the movie cold and un-involving. De Niro obviously does his best, and is by far the standout in a sea of acclaimed talents including Robert Mitchum and Jack Nicholson, but with such methodical direction which left the script stiff and awkward, it was never really a movie I could fully immerse myself in, which ultimately ensured it took three attempts to even finish the 2 hour movie. That's not to suggest the film is awful, as there are many ideas which are clever and it is beautifully shot, but unfortunately the film just wasn't that interesting and eventually you just don't care.
April 17, 2011
boring boring boring
June 3, 2009
Kazin's film of F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished final novel doesn't move like it ought to. Consider that Harold Pinter wrote the script, and consider that the movie takes place where Kazin spent most of his career working, and considering the A cast, and you shake your head. WTF? Overlit, undershot, the film is merely pro forma, and the deviations from Fitzgerald's desperate novel make no sense.
Harlequin68