• PG, 2 hr. 3 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Last Tycoon Reviews

May 23, 2014
One misguided movie. DeNiro did the best he could, and Theresa Russell stole her scenes, but I felt sorry for the actors. Weak script; mechanical direction.
Cle S.
March 21, 2014
You may expect a bit more from a movie starring Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson but this is so slowly moving and at times quite a bore. The scene when Jack and Robert play together is memorable nonetheless.
November 9, 2013
Snooze-A-Palooza, I'm sorry.
September 29, 2013
Great cast can't save boring story!
July 11, 2013
I thought this movie moved along at a glacial pace and ultimately suffered for it. There were some nice moments though.
September 10, 2008
Elia Kazan now admits that he directed this adaptation, his last Hollywood film, for the money. Unfortunately, it looks it.
KevinRobbins
August 17, 2013
I suppose some part of America are gentile

A movie producer that is exceptional at what he does quickly becomes a rising young star as a youth. He obtains the girl of his dreams who stands by his side but they are never married. The producer becomes obsessive compulsive about his projects and his life slowly falls apart despite all of his millions. Can the producer hold onto his true love or will that life fall apart also?

"I do hope we'd meet again."
"I'd be sorry if we didn't."

Elia Kazan, director of On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, Splendor in the Grass, A Face in the Crowd, Baby Doll, and Pinky, delivers The Last Tycoon. The storyline for this film is pretty good but delivered in a methodical manner with a script that is okay but a step down from most of Kazan's work. The cast is brilliant and includes Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Robert Mitchum, Tony Curtis, and John Carradine.

"I think it's great of you to build a house for me without even knowing what I look like."

I DVR'd this picture due to its amazing cast and I looked forward to seeing how Kazan used them. Unfortunately, the film was too slow and I did not find the main character overly compelling. I felt the film was dry and a bit stale and one of my least favorite Kazan works. I'd skip this film.

"I'm dangerous when I am drunk."

Grade: C
March 10, 2013
This should have been so good. and it is. its just that; the love story wich takes up most of the middle part of the movie, is of no interest at all, even as its supposed to be the motor of the story, it takes away from it. everything else is terrific, the writers guild storyline is compelling, all the jeanne Moreau scenes are priceless, and Robert Mitchum is just awesome in there... so why did it have to waste 45 minutes having sex on the beach with a cardboard lady caracter that has no appeal apart from prettiness. If i could erase the middle part, id give this movie 4.5. but i cant.
September 29, 2012
The Film of Tycoons; Kazan, Pinter, De Niro, Curtis and Nicholson.
June 4, 2012
??????? ???? ?????? ??
disappointed in love
or
i don't want to lose you.
PoofyPuff1000
December 20, 2011
Good, but improvements were needed.
December 15, 2011
There's a scene in a movie directed by Elia Kazan that stars Deniro and Nicholson in their respective primes playing a heated game of ping pong. The movie is an adaptation of an F. Scott Fitzgerald book. It's not a very good movie. Go figure.
john o.
July 15, 2011
What a great movie, terrific performances and pretty moving and funny at some times, DeNiro is brilliant!
terris85017
terris85017

October 16, 2011
76 remake by Elia Kazan...
September 13, 2011
In hindsight this was probably not the appropriate movie to further expand my knowledge of Kazan's infamously strong body of work. While I was very impressed by the likes of East Of Eden and A Streetcar Named Desire, I surprisingly found myself drifting through the movie, unable to really grasp any attachment with the characters involved in the dramatization of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel surrounding a movie producer's spiraling decline due to the intense demands he puts upon himself. Maybe it was intentional for his characters to be so distant, so detached, but it effectively left the movie cold and un-involving. De Niro obviously does his best, and is by far the standout in a sea of acclaimed talents including Robert Mitchum and Jack Nicholson, but with such methodical direction which left the script stiff and awkward, it was never really a movie I could fully immerse myself in, which ultimately ensured it took three attempts to even finish the 2 hour movie. That's not to suggest the film is awful, as there are many ideas which are clever and it is beautifully shot, but unfortunately the film just wasn't that interesting and eventually you just don't care.
Lady D

April 3, 2007
Bought but not yet watched
GabrielKnight
July 17, 2011
Despite excellent cast and a compelling story, this movie somehow fails to generate much of dramatic tension. Some critic described it as "constipated", and I think the term fits it perfectly.
April 17, 2011
boring boring boring
Burksta
October 28, 2010
This is an interesting character study because it never really delves into the mind of the character, and instead leaves the audience with mystery throughout. Elia Kazan is a director that has long been recognised for creating honest and unbiased films. His 1954 masterpiece; On The Waterfront is one of the most sacred and honest depictions of life I have ever seen. The Last Tycoon comes very, very close to that and it's probably Robert De Niro's heart-wrenching portrayal of a man we appear to know nothing about, except his area of work. The film features several astounding moments. The most notable being the showdown between De Niro and another movie legend Jack Nicholson. Just watching that scene gives me more than enough reason to watch it. Kazan's writing is also pitch-perfect and the apparent slow pace of the film is non-existent. A very, very good film.