20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Last Unicorn Reviews

Jens S

June 14, 2006
The rare case of an animated childhood classic that looks and feels dated now but still oozes of the feeling you had when you watched it for the first time. Especially America's original songs give the story of the last unicorn facing its biggest threat a very unique atmosphere, giving it all a sweet melancholy that works fantastic together with the nicely animated magic forests and landscapes. Some other scenes are downright spooky for kids, but of course there is humor too. The story starts out strong and atmospheric and then loses a bit of its drive once the characters reach their destination. After that rather slow part, the exciting ending does a lot of things right again and makes it an overall very pleasing and sweet experience, even after all these years.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

August 26, 2010
The Last Unicorn is possibly the best of the Rankin/Bass animated features. It holds up surprisingly well and carries more warmth and weight than most of its counterparts. The superb voice cast is only the tip of the iceberg. There's a great little story here based on a great little book. The film itself was slightly censored for home video releases, but thankfully the new Blu-ray release amends that with two different viewing options. It's a nice little fairy tale that manages to surpass its own source material to become a classic.
Dean !

January 13, 2007
An impressive voice cast with a touching story, although a bit dated now visually. Will mainly appeal to a very young audience.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An interesting story about a unicorn, I didn't get to see the end, though, so I want to see the rest sometime. So far, I thought it was okay.
Kylie B

March 28, 2007
I remember this film upsetting me terribly when I was little. Need to rewatch it at some point to give an 'adult' rating.
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
Great fantasy story with a Unicorn as the main character. It's a distinct style of animation, but a beautiful film to watch.
Dann M

August 5, 2012
Peter S. Beagle's beloved fantasy classic, The Last Unicorn, is brought to life in this Rankin/Bass animated film. When a unicorn learns that she could be the last of her kind, and that the others have been driven into the sea, she sets out on a quest to save them. Starring the voice talents of Mia Farrow, Jeff Bridges, Angela Lansbury, and Christopher Lee, the film has a strong cast. However, the animation is weak and doesn't have much depth or texture to it. And, the soundtrack by America doesn't really work. Yet despite the flaws, The Last Unicorn still carries the enchantment and spirit of Beagle's original tale.
divinetrash
divinetrash

December 25, 2007
The film has deeper themes than its title sugests, such as mortality and existential self-doubt, and it's in part lovely to look at (even though the mouths never even attempt to match the dialogue), but it is never truly exciting or completely engaging.
shanehaley41
shanehaley41

January 19, 2009
I watched it for the first time last night and at 36 its quite a different movie than what it may be when you are young. The butterfly in the beginning was high or drunk, carrying on and singing like a baffoon. And when the magician turns the tree into a woman his head is stuck between two huge tree boobs, the harpy had 3 old saggy breasts and there was alot of morbid and sometimes terrifying death scenes. America was kinda driving me crazy with all the singing. Mia Farrow as the lonely, lost unicorn after awhile got a little tired. This was my girlfriends fav as a kid so we gave it a go, made it about halfway and decided food was much more important and it lost out to the Wii when we got back. It wasn't awful by any means and I may finish it today but as a kids movie i think it should have had a higher parental rating.
Donna D

August 18, 2008
Classic animated movie about the Last unicorn that seeks to find out where the rest of the unicorns have gone. With the help of an estranged magician and a lonely serveant woman, the go on a journey to find the reason for why there are no unicorns. With the voices of Mia Farrow and Alan Arkin to the lead characters, The Last Unicorn is an enchanted movie that is a delight for the Fantasy lovers. :)
Sean S

June 14, 2008
One of the better fantasy book adaptations....I mean when compared to....There is not a lot is there? Still not a bad cartoon.
*Kimberly *

May 20, 2007
This is one of my all time favorite movies from my childhood. a magical and slightly dark tale about the power of perseverance, beauty, love, and the wisdom gained from experience.
Richard F

March 2, 2007
Great score, questionable dialogue. Kids love it though, so thumbs up.
magicstars1
October 2, 2013
The whole thing is pretty sad and somewhat... God-less? The animation is nice and pretty and of course America contributes nice songs, but it's all just a little pointless and depressing. At least the ending is fair enough. Not a healthy choice for children.
April 8, 2012
Honestly is a bit silly and overly dramatic but that's what makes it fun! It feels like a classic fairy tale and is great for kids and the young at heart. The ridiculousness of it just makes it all the more fun to watch. A magical experience!
kenscheck
November 21, 2011
The Last Unicorn is this weird creepy children's movie with weird creepy characters, some of which are hard to even understand. Apparently it was one of the favorites of my fiance when she was a kid...but I only watched it with her once as an adult. Kinda weirded me out.
Sloirishbud
August 12, 2009
When I was a child I loved this movie! When I watched it again in my adult years and I realized that the animation still holds up. In fact the animation is so good that the excruciatingly bad music is worth sitting through because the animation is still breathtakingly good.
August 7, 2007
An under-rated gem that takes itself seriously and does not pander to children, thus making it feel more adult-ish and the animation is quite outstanding. A fun fantasy that should be looked into.
vampirencowboylovnbb
October 7, 2009
i loved this as a child and i still love it, i own this one and also have the music on my ipod, i love the music, america did a good job on that