Critics Consensus: Lawless Is Violent and Atmospheric
Plus, The Possession is mostly scare-free, and The Oogieloves in The Big Balloon Adventure is more weird than enchanting.
Also opening this week in limited release:
- The Bullet Vanishes, a period mystery about a murder investigation in 1930s China, is at 100 percent.
- The Ambassador, a gonzo documentary about a man who impersonates a diplomat with the expressed intention of smuggling blood diamonds out of the Central African Republic, is at 74 percent.
- For a Good Time, Call..., starring Seth Rogen and Ari Graynor in a comedy about a pair of cash-strapped roommates who work as phone-sex operators, is at 66 percent.
- The Good Doctor, starring Orlando Bloom as a young resident who becomes obsessed with a beautiful patient, is at 60 percent.
- Tsui Hark's The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, starring Jet Li as the leader of a group of fighters defending the people from a tyrannical leader, is at 56 percent.
- Little Birds, starring Juno Temple and Leslie Mann in a drama about two teenage girls who leave their depressed small town for a turbulent big city experience, is at 50 percent.
- The Tall Man, starring Jessica Biel in a horror film about a woman who searches frantically for her missing son, is at 44 percent.
- One Day On Earth, a documentary that chronicles a single day from every country on the planet, is at 43 percent.
- The Day, starring Shawn Ashmore and Ashley Bell in a post-apocalyptic thriller about a group of friends attempting to fend off cannibals, is at 29 percent.
- Irvine Welsh's Ecstasy, a drama about a young man who has to decide between clubbing and love, is at six percent.
Finally, props to Richard Dempsy for coming the closest to guessing The Apparition's two percent Tomatometer.