Lawless Reviews

July 23, 2015
"When The Law Became Corrupt, Outlaws Became Heroes."

Lawless is a much better film than I thought it would be before watching it, and much worse than I thought it would be after 25 minutes. This movies looks perfect. The cinematography, costumes, atmosphere, setting, characters are all great. The problem arises with the weak writing. The acting almost patched up the holes in the movie, but even with power performances, the flaws are just too noticeable.

The Bondurant Brothers make their living bootlegging. It's pretty easy for them in Franklin County, until Charley Rakes shows up and starts creating problems for their profession. In between, we see a few love stories progressing and the inner tension between the brothers. Mostly the youngest, Jack and Forrest- the boss.

Lawless is well paced and entertaining. Shia LaBeouf, even though he was playing a mentally flawed character, gave a great performance, as did the whole cast from Tom Hardy to Jessica Chastain to Guy Pearce. This is cool little prohibition period piece, but could have been much better.
June 30, 2015
A very gritty and solid crime movie great cast.
½ July 2, 2015
Predictable, mess, based on a true story about apparently really dumb people. Great cast, dumb screenplay.
June 15, 2015
Anchored by an excellent performance by Tom Hardy as the hero and Guy Pearce, this prohibition "epic" is ultimately pretty forgettable.
½ May 24, 2015
While the film is well made and features some strong performances, it just seems like it should be far better than it is considering the talent involved.
May 16, 2015
Sometimes I really get ticked off at Hollywood. This could've been an outstanding film, but alas, artistry was snuffed for formula. But, hark, there is hope! Three key artistic elements came together to save this film from formulaic obscurity. (1) The intense polarization of Tom Hardy's protagonist/hero character and Guy Pearce's antagonist/villain character. Hardy is gravitas incarnate on screen. His backwoods protagonist Forrest is understandably at odds with Pearce's sociopathic city-slicker Charley Rakes. We see Rakes from the Bondurants perspective: a very real danger from the outside who threatens their livelihood. There is absolutely zero compromise between these two characters. (2) The film should have been longer in order to accommodate richer romantic subplots between the Jessica Chastain/Tom Hardy characters and LaBeouf/Wasikowska characters. Surface criticism says these characters are forced, but they really add depth and humanism to the brutal world in which they exist. (3) The soundtrack fits in wonderfully and feels authentic to the period. This film didn't blow me away, but it should have.
½ May 10, 2015
It's the best bootlegger movie I have ever seen
½ November 14, 2012
Great movie but sad underrated. Great cast and their work is magnificent. What a disparity no nod for any Oscars.
April 23, 2015
In this film, John Hillcoat takes us back to a time before the law ruled the land. This film tracks the story of three outlaw bootlegging, brothers hidden in the back hills of Kentucky during prohibition. It is beautifully written, and the acting is top notch. A long time fan of Shia Labouf, I thought he delivered very well in this role. New comers Tom Hardy and Jessica Chastain also portrayed their respective parts wonderfully. I think that we will see much more of them in the future. The story pulls on your heartstrings and will leave you satisfied.
April 19, 2015
Avenge and revenge was the order of the day. Horrible character by Guy Pearce although was disappointed by his finale. had similar vibe and feel about it as the excellent 'Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'
August 28, 2012
I rather enjoyed this one! Some parts are predictable, but still, pretty good overall.
March 28, 2015
Excellently acted and a plot that is well played out with a little too much romantic side-plot for my taste, but I got over it. Locations and clothing represented the timeframe really well and the story was a good example of little people standing up against corruption and senseless laws.
½ March 22, 2015
Watched this a while ago, but haven't rated it yet.
March 20, 2015
To be honest, the story wasn't very interesting for me, but all the actors were great and Tom Hardy was simply brilliant! :) He really makes even the not-so-positive characters likeable! :) Can't wait to see more of him! :)
February 21, 2015
"Lawless" is the true story of bootlegging brothers who can't seem to stay out of trouble. I think this is a great picture with great acting performances by the entire cast, which isn't seen a lot in cinema. For what this film is trying to be, I think it pulls it off nicely. While some of the scenes are dull and drag, I do think any viewer can watch this film and have no regrets of seeing it after watching it all the way through. 7.6/10
February 17, 2015
Esperaba mas de esta pelicula,igual esta buena 6/10
February 15, 2015
Sharply-made with a terrific cast, this one packs a satisfying, if imperfect, punch!
½ August 30, 2012
Definitely an interesting ride with some truly BRUTAL violence, but nowhere near perfect with some slower parts and a truly bizarre climactic shoot-out. The plot is pretty thin and lots of subplots seem irrelevant but you're honestly never bored watching it, largely due to the great cast. Guy Pearce has never been more intense, and his imposing physical performance is truly memorable with shaved-off eyebrows, a gaunt appearance, and slicked-back hair with a wide part in the middle. The three brothers were cast well with Shia LaBeouf stepping into his big-boy pants, Jason Clarke as the constantly drunk muscle of the family and Tom Hardy playing a very restrained, soft-spoken bad-ass who won't take any shit from anyone. The period drama is great to look at and features some harsh violence that you feel in your gut, but it is a bit unexceptional and the ending shoot-out really let me down where almost no one is dying though the characters are no more than 20 feet apart. Definitely watch it for Guy Pearce's performance though, he will stick with you and get under your skin!
September 1, 2012
I liked it back when I saw it
October 20, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.