The Lawnmower Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lawnmower Man Reviews

May 11, 2014
Both a cyberpunk retelling of Frankenstein and bastardization of Stephen King's short story of the same name, The Lawnmower Man is made worse by its preposterous plot twists, dated effects, and ham acting.
½ August 21, 2011
Interesting idea for a Sci Fi horror film, but lacks any real sense of wonder. By today's standards the film looks very dated and it plays out like a cheap low budget horror flick. Overall this is a decent affair with nothing really special going for it. The film suffers from an ambitious scope that is limited by a so-so script. I was looking forward to seeing this, but in the end it's nothing too remarkable. Acting wise, the actors are pretty decent, nothing ever good or bad. This film could have been much better and with a concept like this, it's a shame that there was nothing memorable about the film. As a whole, The Lawnmower Man is worth seeing, but is not the type of film that warrants multiple viewings. This is the type of film that may have looked good on paper, but the execution is kind of weak, and you realize that the film doesn't fulfill its full potential. There has been another film that would explore virtual reality as a vehicle for horror and that film is Brainscan, which is a far superior movie than this. Overall, The Lawnmower Man is decent entertainment, but ultimately is forgettable in the long run. I think it's a great shame because I really liked the idea behind the plot, however the execution leaves a lot to be desired, and it could have been done better. There are times where things get silly, especially near the end. Some aspects could also have rewritten and you just end up wanting more out of this film. Throughout the film, you just realize that there's something missing to really make it a worthwhile horror experience.
Directors Cat
½ December 30, 2011
A fairly average thriller that isn't in any way memorable. Dont get me wrong, it's not a bad movie but the brilliantly ingenius premise should have had a much better result. Bits of the movie are good but it's overlong and gives off jiggy legs too much. This was supposed to be a technical breakthrough of cinema but the effects are terribly outdated. 2 years after this was made The Mask was released. I think that would be called the real special effects breakthrough. Lawnmower man on a positive note is absolute fluff that casn be enjoyed on one viewing but you'll never think to watch it again.
½ January 2, 2007
Wow looking so outdated now, and Virtual reality is barely used these days. Didn't take off like it was predicted. This is based on a short story by Stephen King, surprised to see a young Pierce Brosnan in this. The graphics for the virtual reality scenes look like an arcade game from the era. It's not very original, yet some how got a sequel a few years later. For a good film about Virtual reality check out the much better eXistenZ!
½ September 10, 2009
Dr. Angelo (Pierce Brosnan) is a scientist who is studying the effects of virtual reality on the mind of a monkey. The experiments don't go well with the monkey, so now Dr. Angelo wants to try his virtual reality experiments on a retarded man named Jobe (Jeff Fahey). Jobe is known around the area for being able to put stuff together and as being the 'lawnmower man' because he is the best there is at mowing lawns. Dr. Angelo is going to try to make Jobe smarter with these experiments. But if Dr. Angelo doesn't watch out, he might make Jobe too smart to where he'll be able to control just about anything with his mind.
"The Lawnmower Man" is a great movie. I don't see any reason why it isn't averaging 4 or 5 stars. It has spectacular special effects, a good job of acting by Jeff Fahey, and it really is an entertaining movie. The virtual reality effects aren't the only good thing about this movie, it has a good story (which came from Stephen King), and it's just a great movie that anybody should be able to enjoy. If you like movies about virtual reality, or good thrillers with great special effects, I recommend getting "The Lawnmower Man." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. I've always loved this movie and found it to be underrated. Love it!
July 27, 2009
As you've probably seen, a lot of people have have seriously slagged off this film. In most cases, its because of the unusual plot. But I think that this is what makes this movie.

Your also bound to be confused with what the plot is, but its not complicated. Pierce Brosnan (Known as 'Angelo')is a scientist who works for a company that specialise in virtual reality and computer generation. Brosnan has been working on a project which enables people to become smarter, but has had tough luck finding volunteers. However, his luck changes when he realises that his friend 'Jobe', a lawnmower man who is slightly backwards could be the perfect specimen. Angelos tests prove successful, and things go great. But as in all films, there's a downside.. Jobe becomes too smart and takes revenge on people as his life becomes estranged with computer generation.

It would be cruel to tell you any more - the film is marvellous in the directing department. Jobe's frustration is well screened an some of the ideas are great. Even Brosnan plays a great part in this film and makes us forget he is 007 in years to come.

The CGI in this film is what makes it. OK, I have to admit, Terminator 2's special effects are in a different league, but the effects in this film are not supposed to be super realistic. They are supposed to be a vision (in most cases) of virtual reality - how a computer generated world would look. They are engaging, but dated. Still, I think there effective and entertaining. some people say this film is a thriller, an in ways their right. But don't get mis led and think this is a horror film - it isn't, its more psychological.

So, the final verdict. If your into films that are certainly different than the usual s**t we get these days, I would recommend this definitely. However, if you have no idea what virtual reality is or have no patience, then don't bother. Classic stuff!
April 26, 2008
Pretty good movie but these days the tech is a little dated.
½ July 24, 2007
It's like Forrest Gump (with a computer) but where everything becomes more retarded as the main character progresses in life.

Plus, everyone knows you cant have a flying lawn mower death scene without the gore.
½ October 23, 2007
I think this movie is very under-rated. Strange how Virtual Reality headsets never really took off. If you like computers then you should probably see this.
½ July 26, 2007
A successful military scientist (Pierce Brosnan) experiments on the low-IQ groundskeeper Jobe, and ends up opening his mind to wonderous new possibilities. But his brain evolves into something dangerous, and Jobe "The Lawnmower Man" takes over the whole computer network and gains god-like powers. Watch out! There's some ground-breaking computer animation (for the time) once Jobe for things inside the computer world. It's eye candy. Check out the Mind's Eyes series of movies if you want to see some more CGI goodness.
½ January 22, 2007
Jeff Fahey should've been a huge star..
December 30, 2006
Dated sci fi that attracted interest at the time for it's advanced visuals. Which inevitably look rather rubbish now.
October 8, 2006
Although this sci-fic thriller claims to be the first ever Virtual Reality movie.
May 11, 2014
A film ahead of its time, The Lawnmower Man explores the dangers of unchecked technological evolution. Starring Jeff Fahey and Pierce Brosnan, a scientist's experiments with virtual reality and the mind have unexpected effects on a mentally handicapped landscaper named Jobe whose mental powers begin to escalate, giving him telepathic abilities and the power to merge the virtual and physical worlds. The writing's not very good, and is full of cliches and stereotypes. The development of Jobe is especially weak, and offers little explanation for what he does...besides general craziness. And the special effects are awful (even for 1992). The virtual reality in particular is more bizarre and distracting than intriguing. Unfortunately, the poor filmmaking in The Lawnmower Man overwhelms the ideas that it's trying to explore.
½ January 20, 2013
For me The Lawnmower Man is a modern-day retelling of the classic Frankenstein story. A Scientist is attempting to reach new ground for the interest of science and the good of mankind. In the process he creates a monster who runs amuck and he is left wishing he'd left well alone, although totally fascinated with the results at the same time.
Dr. Lawrence Angelo (Pierce Brosnan) is one such scientist. He is employed by Cybertech to work with chimpanzees to increase their mental capacity and to train them in war tactics via the use of virtual reality and drugs. He disagrees where his research is leading and leaves the company. Unable to let his research go he begins experimenting again, this time with a human subject. He chooses a local Lawnmower Man who is a little simple and attempts to increase his intellect with dire consequences.

The main talking point with The Lawnmower Man is the special effects. It says on the front of the DVD that I watched something along the lines of; stunning visuals, better than Terminator 2. This is simply not the case, but the graphics were ground-breaking at the time. Not because they were that advanced, but because these were the first virtual reality graphics in a movie. The Lawnmower Man is the first movie to cover this topic (as far as I am aware). Audiences seem to be divided on whether they are very good or not. I feel that they could have been a lot better if the technology was used in a better way. In the hands of a different director perhaps. I can't image what Stanley Kubrick could have done with this movie. For example, the scene of the lawnmower man running over Jakes Brain and the scene where Father Francis McKeen is set on fire.

I feel that Jeff Fahey (who played Jobe) gave a good performance. I don't think he did anything that amazing but he delivered the role well. Since Lawnmower man he has gone on the do many other roles, one of my favourites is as J.T. in Planet Terror. He has become quite the cult icon nowadays.
I'm afraid the same can't be said for Pierce Brosnan, oh dear Pierce ... oh dear. In the early 90's big things were in the pipeline for Mr. Brosnan, but unfortunately The Lawnmower Man wasn't one of them.

Having said all this I do enjoy watching The Lawnmower Man. It's one of those films where you can just "switch your brain off". You can sit back, relax and be mildly entertained by this weird yet satisfying story, and they don't get much weirder than this. Having cyber sex, becoming joined together in the form of a butterfly before turning into a monster and firing red spit at your partner. I wouldn't recommend The Lawnmower Man, but if you enjoy weird SCI-FI thrillers then feel free to give it as go.

Coming back to what I was saying at the start, as with Frankenstein, The Lawnmower Man is a movie with a message too. That some things are better left alone than meddled with, and that Technological advancement can be dangerous..."Lawnmower Man's in your head now Jake".
March 20, 2011
Jeff Fahey stars as Jobe, a man who is mentally challenged who is given super intelligence when a brilliant scientist (Pierce Brosnan) uses his experiments to increase his brain capacity. Dr. Angelo does the tests on Jobe who becomes much smarter. This is all fine and good until the government steps in and tries to find a way to turn Job into a weapon. Because that's what the government does, you know. Jobe becomes a threat when he uses his new found powers for revenge and then his psychic abilities to manipulate anything to his will. Dr. Angelo battles to bottle up his creation as Jobe strives to escape into the nascent World Wide Web to begin his campaign of world domination.

*Warning Spoiler*

The title "Lawnmower Man" indicates he kills people with lawn mowers, and he does, but just one man: a drunk who abuses his wife and son, so I'll say he deserved it!
February 14, 2006
One of my friends told me that this was renouned as a cult sci-fi classic, trying to guilt me into giving it a higher rating or a second chance. No dice!
April 17, 2008
A freaky yet entertaining movie, I'll have to admit. The visuals and special effects were weak. But given the decade this movie was done in, I guess I'll have to go easy on it.
March 3, 2008
leave this one alone piss poor adaptation of the stephen king novel
½ December 23, 2007