Laws of Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Laws of Attraction Reviews

½ February 21, 2012
Lonely but charming divorce lawyers on opposite sides of the aisle opt for a longterm contract, no pre-nup, and so a writ of habeas corpus in this predictable bit o'unfortunately unfortunate blarney. The actors work so hard, and I was rooting for 'em, but ... it finally comes off as too forced, too mechanical, too formulaic, like a big song and dance production number to corn flakes.
movieguru12
August 24, 2009
garyX
December 25, 2006
This is the kind of crap I really hate. But I didn't hate this...either because of the hilarious oirish stereotypes, or maybe I've just got a thing for Julianne Moore. You decide.
deano
½ January 31, 2007
Great comedy-romance and hilarious of two best divorce lawyers and their celebrity clients arguing each others in the court.
November 5, 2006
The dialogue is hit-and-miss, and the plot, short on surprises.
½ November 29, 2010
Though it's not good enough to make you forget the Tracy-Hepburn comedies, it is good enough to make you remember them. Brosnan is funnier than I ever imagined.
banzaibrother
October 12, 2009
Critics didn't like this movie...but I believe this is a really smart film. Good writing. Pierce Brosnan and Julianne Moore are perfectly cast as two rival divorce lawyers who...surprise...fall in love. The chemistry between Brosnan and Moore is awesome. Good date movie!
½ August 9, 2007
Nice chemistry and a good mix of cast but it falls apart about halfway through.
November 15, 2012
Now who thought this was a good idea? Lets make a movie about a group of people (lawyers) that most people dont like covering a subject that nobody likes (divorce) whose clients are a couple of elitist, entitled snobs and make that into a love story, can I fire someone now!
Bronson and Moore are great personable actors but even their charm cannot save this dreadful movie. This might of worked with a much better script and recasting Parker Posey for anybody else but it still would have trouble from tripping over it poor concept.
December 4, 2011
Love this movie Julianne Moore is a really good actress & Pierce Brosnan is a good actor & he's adorable. :) Just a really enjoyable movie. :) :)
½ April 2, 2012
Unbeliavably cute romantic comedy with a good message behind it. I really like this film, but overall it fails to be truely memorable, thanks to useless scenes and poor pacing.
April 1, 2012
This is the day every mother dreams of. The day she watches her only daughter put a lock on her bedroom door, to keep her husband out. (That's okay, you don't want in anyway.)

This movie is the reason I don't like chick flicks.

The Story: Two divorce lawyers, one the sexually repressed firebrand that practices with strict organization, and one the charming, outgoing guy that practices law in a slightly different fashion, fall in love with each other through surprising turns of events. I know, I know, that sentence was long, and probably grammatically incorrect in many many ways, but if that bothers you, than by all means stop reading right now...Anyway, onto the review. This film has some pretty funny moments, but the characters are pretty generic, the story is predictable and poorly told, and despite it's two charming and attractive lead characters I didn't feel anything for either of them. There's much better romantic comedies out there.

The Cast: Pierce Brosnan, Julianne Moore...Pierce Brosnan is Daniel Rafferty, the charming lawyer with a somewhat unorthodox way of practicing law. He's pretty generic, all his character really comes down to is the quirky guy trying to get the not so quirky woman. Not an incredible performance, I mean really, this man once plaid one of the greatest James Bonds ever, but put him in the role of a lawyer and suddenly he's not that great of an actor? What up with that? Julianne Moore is Audrey Woods, the more cute than sexy lawyer that's just too business oriented to have a decent relationship. Yet another cliche character for a great player. This woman once plaid great parts in movies like Hannibal and Far From Heaven. This film is far from her finest work. I will never understand just how these two got roped into playing these boring and uninspired parts.

One to Five Scale: 2

This film proves that big names don't make great films. Weak characters, poor story structure, boring story, and little to no character development make this one, one to pass on. Go watch something else, this one isn't worth your time, even if you're a fan of Moore or Brosnan.

Tyler
August 7, 2008
I'm not opposed to to seeing Pierce Brosnan and Julianne Moore aim for the spirit of Kate Hepburn and Spencer Tracy by playing two rival divorce lawyers who fall in love like the aforementioned icons did in Adam's Rib. I just wish the script were the least bit exciting or interesting. It's also a nice touch having Sliding Doors director Peter Howitt at the helm, but like I said--the script blows, and it drowns grade-A talent in a heaping pile of banality.
February 6, 2011
It's unfortunate that the proceedings are so contrived and unbelievable... Brosnan and Moore are fun to watch in the rare moments when the film gets out of their way.
½ July 16, 2010
great lawyer/spouse movie like the old hepburn/tracey movies but alas not quite the same unique chemistry here but still enjoyable
December 31, 2009
The filmed seemed like a great starter on wha is my now journey to find the perfect romantic comedy. Maybe i liked it despite it's many bad reviews because I haven't seen adam's rib or whatever.
August 22, 2009
nicey nice in the legal world of divorce... Julianne Moore & Pierce Brosnan were fantastic together - I felt their chemistry...
July 23, 2009
*1/2 (out of four)

It's interesting when good actors make really bad films. This is one of those that I'm sure Ms. Moore and Mr. Brosnan wish they had passed on.

Brosnan and Moore are both effective divorce attornies. Though they have diferent styles that emerge when they are both pitted against the other.

It's not hard to see where the plot is going as the two become attracted to each other. It tries to remind us of the screwball comedies of the 1930's and 1940's, but the loss of charm is in the writing. The closer the couple get, the more annoying they become.
September 17, 2008
Divorce lawyers in love. I can watch this again and again. I always get teary in the same parts, too.