Layer Cake (2005)
Average Rating: 7.1/10
Reviews Counted: 135
Fresh: 109 | Rotten: 26
A stylized, electric British crime thriller.
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Critic Reviews: 34
Fresh: 28 | Rotten: 6
A stylized, electric British crime thriller.
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 146,011
Just as a successful cocaine dealer, who has earned a respected place among England's Mafia elite, eyes an early retirement from the business, big boss Jimmy Price hands down a tough assignment: find Charlotte Ryder, the missing rich princess daughter of Jimmy's old pal Edward, a powerful construction business player and gossip papers socialite. Complicating matters are two million pounds' worth of Grade A ecstasy, a brutal neo-Nazi sect and a whole series of double crossings.
May 13, 2005 Limited
Aug 23, 2005
Sony Classics - Official Site
Paul the Boatman
Steve John Shepherd
Latest News on Layer Cake
December 17, 2007:RT on DVD: The Simpsons, Stardust, and More!
This week the shelves are packed, and just in time for the holidays! Check out the long-awaited...
August 8, 2007:Matthew Vaughn To Helm Thor
Ain't It Cool News recently caught up with director Matthew Vaughn for a chat about projects past...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The intricate thing dodges and feints and twists this way and turns that way until, by the time of the alleged resolution, we've lost our bearings completely.
It's almost too much to follow, but the style, proven by Ritchie time and again, is irresistible.
A heavyweight gangster picture worthy of being included in with the greats.
Only the accents are thicker than double-crosses in a thriller that's stylish and sleek - note lyrically appropriate use of Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" in one sequence - but also assuredly delirious, ethically hefty and unpredictably treacherous.
"Layer Cake" is a stylized British noir full of clever twists, biting dialogue, and plenty of ironic violence.
A história bem amarrada é beneficiada ainda pelo senso de humor seco e eficaz, ao passo que o elenco confere charme a um bando de personagens inescrupulosos e a direção de Vaughn, associada à inventiva montagem, torna o filme sempre instigante.
[A] fun, snappy crime caper that begins with a wryly understated take on the "one-last-job-and-I'm-out" subgenre.
Intense story about low-level organized crime figures embroiled in a deadly conspiracy.
protagonist's narration puts the film's complex plot into much broader economic, political and cultural context.
A smart thrill ride with one magnificent finish.
Fun stuff indeed, even if you might need the subtitles to help decipher all the Britspeak.
It does nothing revolutionary, but it handles the basics with entertaining aplomb.
Just following what is going on is a big job, but the film has its rewards.
Clean, crisp and gratifying, you'd be hard pressed to find a better British film this year.
Layer Cake is not the most original or memorable picture in the world, but it's a great calling card for Vaughn.
This is one of the few movies for which I can't tell you the name of the "hero."
It's nothing we haven't seen before, but Vaughn invests it with enough style and energy to make it worth the trip.
...a delicious crime melodrama, with colorful characters, lots of action and violence, double and triple crosses, and a few fresh surprises of its own.
...Michael Vaughn, has cooked up a tasty treat in his directorial debut, somewhere between Mike Hodges' cool and Guy Ritchie's out-of-control Smoking Barrels.
Audience Reviews for Layer Cake
Movies Like Layer Cake
- Morty: [XXXX is beaten and bloodied on the ground] You killed crazy Larry?
- Gene: So? This fucker killed Jimmy! [kicks XXXX in the chest]
- XXXX: Oh. Jesus Christ!
- Morty: [grabs XXXX by his shirt] Why did you do it?
- XXXX: He was an informer! He was a police informer!
- Gene: Jimmy, a grass? Are you fucking mad? You'll have to do better than that.
- XXXX: I've got a recording at home, of Jimmy and a cozzer called Albie Carter.
- Morty: Gene, let's listen to this shit. If he's lying, we'll both fucking kill him.
- XXXX: [answering his phone] Who is this?
- Dragan: My name is Dragan.
- XXXX: How did you get this number?
- Dragan: Boatman Paul gave me your number, in the end.I believe you have some property that belongs to my employer and you're the person I should talk to about the return of this cargo stolen by your associate, the Duke.
- XXXX: Dragan, the Duke is nothing to do with me.
- Dragan: Mr. Duke came to Amsterdam, used your name, said he worked for you. Are you listening?
- XXXX: Dragan... I've got an idea. Why don't you come round for breakfast, I'll squeeze some orange juice and grind some coffee and we'll talk about this like adults, how does that sound?
- Dragan: Sounds very hospitable.
- XXXX: Do you know where I live?
- Dragan: No.
- XXXX: Well fuck off then. [hangs up]
- Morty: Why did you keep the gun?
- Gene: Silly as sounds, but it was me favorite.
- Morty: I hope you don't tell your other guns that you have a favorite. [Gene and XXXX laugh]
- Cody: [impersonating a police captain] Is the area now secure?
- Tiptoes: Yes sir.
- Cody: Well you can fuck off then, can't you?
- XXXX: Hey Gene, I've got some good news.
- Gene: Oh yeah? Whats that? [punches XXXX in the face] You murdering bastard!
- Clarkie: Where are we going Morty?
- Morty: Back to that boatyard. Someone is about to get a fucking slap.
- Terry: Yes Morty, about fucking time. [pats him on the back]
Discuss Layer Cake on our Movie forum!