Le Mystère Koumiko (The Koumiko Mystery) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Mystère Koumiko (The Koumiko Mystery) Reviews

December 6, 2008
This was Marker's first film about Japan, made during the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, a modernized city undergoing globalization. It focuses on a young woman named Koumiko, who describes herself as Japanese in looks, but mixed up in spirit due to being born in Manchuria and having studied French. There are a lot of images of Tokyo that are reminiscent of Sans Soleil, but the two films are quite different. The narration here consists of various French news broadcasts and conversations between Marker and Koumiko where Marker asks her many sociological questions as well as more more personal ones. We hear her thoughts about what she wants from life and reminisces about her childhood, which are often quite poetic in their own way. I wish the video and sound quality was better, Icarus needs to release more of Marker's films.
December 6, 2008