63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Le Samouraï (The Godson) Reviews

September 5, 2014
?????? ???? ?? ????? ??? ??? ?? ?????
September 6, 2006
spartan elegance pervades every frame of melville's signature style, a terse composite of tropes and flourishes develops into a postmodern fount for future crime genre entries, delon is fantastic here, equally serious and playful
August 6, 2014
a masterpiece, a very iconic role indeed for Alain Delon
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 13, 2014
A flawless stroke of filmmaking, Le Samourai is a superbly crafted picture that is captivating from the first frame, and doesn't let up. What stand out about the film are the terrific and superb performances, its striking visual appeal, which enhances the film's melancholic mood and of course the effective direction from filmmaker Jean-Pierre Melville, who crafts something that is quite unique. I heavily recommend the film to any fan of fine cinema, and Le Samourai is such a film, a picture that both brutal and exquisite. The film has film noir styling's which enhances the film significantly. The cast doe a fine job in their respective roles, and the film's story is simple, yet effective enough to keep you involved from start to finish. This is a well crafted picture and one that stands as a classic of cinema. Simple to the point storytelling with a fine cast of talented actors elevate the film significantly, and in turn Le Samourai succeeds at grabbing your attention from start to finish. The film is steadily paced to build up the tension, and it adds much more anxiety in the viewer, therefore you simply cannot tear yourself away because you want to see what will happen next. I heavily recommend the film, and as a fine piece of cinema, Actor Alain Delon brings a cold charisma in the lead performance that resonates throughout the film, and he is perfect for the role he plays. Le Samourai has had a significant impact on other pictures, and it's easy to understand why. The simple story of a hitman who poorly thought out his hit is interesting and there are many other ways to make another film around that idea. This film can easily be summarized as a slow burning dramatic thriller, as every scene increases the tension, and that's what makes this film truly standout, along with brilliant performances and skilled direction from a director who managed to create something so good with a simple concept.
June 15, 2014
rented ( yes in a video store) at Black Dog Video
June 10, 2014
Alain Delon is licensed to thrill!
April 4, 2014
Gripping tale. Jeff's economy of words and sense of style is charming. Every scene/sequence is detailed and easy-paced. Great direction. Must see film.
March 18, 2014
Beloved of "serious" film (as opposed to movie) lovers, Le Samourai fails to reward viewers on an emotional or dramatic level. The major interest here is in the cinematography, style, and imagery, while the main character is without much development and cannot really hold our interest. Alain Delon here is reduced to looking beautiful, wearing a trenchcoat, walking up and down stairs, getting in and out of cars, and smoking. No words are spoken until the first 9 minutes of footage have expired.

I'd have to call this overrated and rather pretentious.
February 15, 2009
Le classique de Melville.
January 23, 2014
Só um realizador com a classe de Jean-Pierre Melville conseguiria transformar um noir francês num filme tão magnificamente nobre como o Samurai do título. Melville nunca precisa de gastar muitas balas para ser um grande senhor dos filmes de acção.
December 10, 2013
It ranks up with Melville's best films.
December 4, 2013
One lonely handsome hitman who has a lonely bird like him in a cage kept in his shabby apartment
November 10, 2013
European Neo Noir at it's finest
October 20, 2013
QUE ESTUPENDA PELICULA FRANCESA Y UN GRAN ACTOR ALAIN DELON
October 3, 2013
great film..the potential of this film lies in its simplicity..it shows passion of a man for his profession..the respect for his principles(which he says it as his 'habits') ..and a man who is so detached from sentiments that he doesn't even give a smile through the whole movie..the only moment we feel he has sentiment's is when he gives a good bye hug to his lover..the movie is completely dependent on the director and his capability and the characters in the film..it does not relay on dialogues...it show how detached this character is from sentiments..he is calm collective and keep's all his thoughts to him self..melville directs the film with such class that it show his control over what he is doing..the 1st long shot of the film is brilliant..its shows the solitude of this character (jeff costello)..he can understand subtle changes in his pet bird , this shows how lonely a man he is..alain delon(jeff) shows his potential as an actor with his masterful control over his emotions..the narrative is well written..the two women in this movie add to the fact of jeff's detachment from his emotion...this movie is a must watch..
ray
August 6, 2013
Ein Abstecher nach Mel-Ville!

Mein erster Eindruck von Melville ist ein guter - so viel sei gesagt.

Und das ist, gelinde gesagt, noch eine Untertreibung. In den Fingerspitzen juckt es mich schon, mehr von diesem tollen französischen Filmemacher zu sehen.

Sein Le Samourai ist eine Art Thriller oder auch Gangsterkrimi über einen stillen Attentäter, einen Meister seines Fachs, der eines Nachts nicht hundertprozentig Heil davonkommt, und schlussendlich seine Konsequenzen daraus zieht.

Alain Delon ist Jef Costello, der zum Vorbild für so viele Silent Heroes" des (amerikanischen) Kinos geworden ist. Wenn immer ein Ryan Gosling als The Driver Fluchtautos fährt ist Delons Geist aus Le Samourai anwesend.

Ganz passend zum Protagonisten, vertraut Melville auf die Magie langer Takes und heruntergeschraubter Action innerhalb des Bildkaders. Es geht um Stimmungsaufbau und Komposition, was zu wunderschönen Kamerafahrten und Tracking Shots führt.

Und umso stiller der Film wird, umso spannender wird es dann auch. Die Showdowns werden durch Melvilles spartanischen Stil nur umso intensiver, und somit gehört Le Samourai zu den fesselndsten Filmen der Filmgeschichte (das äußerte sich auch darin, dass ich obwohl ich todmüde war, einfach nicht fähig und willig war, den Fernseher abzudrehen).

Es sind altbekannte Motive und Formeln, die uns Melville hier auftischt. Alles haben wir schon durch die Mühle des amerikanischen Films gehen sehen. Melville wendete hier eine effektive Entschlackungstherapie an, und präsentiert uns einen schönen und erfolgreichen Film.
July 31, 2013
Trying to revisit some of Jean-Pierre Melville noir films, yeah I still have a hangover from the "Le Cercle Rouge". It's got an odd title but at the end of the film, it does make sense. Now I understand more of noir, it's not just the theme and cinematography, it's also about the loneliness behind all the deviant story. Le Samorai is such a tragedy and proves to be an excellent example of that idea. In terms of story telling, it's all visual, it's very rare than the characters spoke a line and that's what I love about Jean-Pierre Melville. Though some of the scenes are longer than it should be, he could have make it shorter.
Cael M.
June 1, 2013
Le Samourai is nothing short of a masterpiece. I can't believe that it took me this long to actually get around seeing this movie- and when it began, I couldn't take my eyes off of it. This is certainly one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. The director, Jean-Pierre Melville, executes every little detail perfectly and so intricately that it hurts. Every little frame adds up to something significant in the movie, and without the intricate framing, the movie wouldn't have quite nearly the same atmosphere. Everything is so perfectly executed, that it demands several viewings, and even then, Melville's amazing direction would still be able to sustain suspense, even though you would know how everything would play out. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an inspiration (in fact, I'm almost certain it is) to many future noir films, with its cold, mostly silent main character, its intricate, cool atmosphere and visuals, and its thoughtful, tense plot. One thing's for sure, however, that this movie is a lot better than many of the noir films of our time.

Le Samourai has an interesting concept. It's about a professional assassin named Jef Costello (Alain Delon) who's hired to kill a nightclub owner by the orders of his boss. As Jef carries out the killing of the nightclub owner successfully, the police begin to investigate the case and rounds up suspects to figure out who the killer was, with Jef being one of them. That's the basic premise, and that's all I'll say because this is a film that's better not knowing much about to enjoy it. The strongest aspect behind the magic of this film is Alain Delon's character as Jef Costello, and he is incredibly cool. Jef is a lone wolf, and is a man of few words. He takes his job professionally and seriously, constantly attempting to conceal himself from the public, and using meticulous methods to carry out his job. He's expressionless and lonely, and always wears a fedora and a coat around. Alain Delon portrays him beautifully and perfectly, and he is a man of solitude here. Although some of his motivations are not revealed to the audience, as well as other plot elements, it's really up to the audience to figure out a few things and tie a few ends. Perhaps he chooses to be alone, or his nature leads to his loneliness- it's unclear, but we know that he's a self-sufficient man that knows how to almost never get caught. Alain Delon is probably the most important part of this film, and without his screen presence, the film would be nowhere near as remarkable, even with all the superb technical aspects and extraordinary narrative.

Beyond Alain Delon, Le Samourai still has tons of depth. The story is very thoughtful and extremely tense and suspenseful, making full use of its concept. Some parts of it are rather ambiguous, which was something I wasn't quite expecting, but I was fine with. In fact, I thought it made the film a little more interesting and showed that the audience doesn't need every detail to have a reasoning behind it. When it comes to the detailing of the film, it is perfect. There are lots of quiet scenes with perfect framing, such as smoke blowing out of a cigarette or Jef Costello slightly turning his hat as he leaves his apartment, and it results in odd, yet incredible interest in the film. There are even some subtle details that don't really add up to anything, but they're fascinating to notice and show Melville's attention to detail clearly. There's minimal dialogue, and it's only spoken when it's necessary, adding an interesting sense of melancholy. The atmosphere is perfect, and it's so good that it's hard to explain it. Aside from the atmosphere and detailing, the supporting cast is great, and two people that come to mind are Cathy Rosier and Francois Perier. I found the relationship between Cathy's character, Valerie, and Jeff Costello to be an interesting and mysterious one, and Francois's role as a police inspector added lots of tensity to the film. I can't forget the soundtrack by Francois de Roubaix either, and it's very memorable, especially the title theme.

Le Samourai is simply an experience that must be seen to be believed. It's an extraordinary film that I probably won't see anything similar to for a while. Everything is so perfectly executed that it hurts. Despite its incredible style and atmosphere that drags you into the film and doesn't let go, Le Samourai manages to go beyond the fedoras and coats and manages to create a thoughtful, very suspenseful story. It's odd to think that Alain Delon's role as a heartless assassin is awesome to watch, but he was such a fascinating character with such style that it's hard not to think he is. I loved every second of this movie, whether it's the opening that sets up the somber tone of the film from the beginning, or if it's the perfect framing of subtle details. Le Samourai is a brilliant noir that begs to be seen again, and I surely will, because personally, I think this is one of those rare films that is so different and brilliant from lots of the others of its genre, that it deserves a lot more attention. Le Samourai is so perfectly made that it's hard not to appreciate it.
July 18, 2013
A stylish, powerful film noir that stands with the best of the American genre. Sparse in its use of dialogue, it follows an assassin setting up an alibi, planning and performing the hit before being betrayed himself. Chases on the Paris Metro, complex police schemes to trap the villain, and above all Delon looking as cool as he ever did.