A League of Their Own Reviews

April 12, 2014
So glad to finally see such an iconic piece of Evansville history! Bosse Field, America's third oldest ballpark, plays the home of the Racine Belles, and boy does she nail it!
May 24, 2013
A light-hearted story with a marginally-talented cast (e.g., Madonna, Rosie O'Donnell, Jon Lovitz, Lori Petty, Geena Davis -- not real powerhouse actors). Tom Hanks seems to be the center of gravity in this film -- but then again, he's the only one who's really pulling off the whole "acting" thing. Despite its flaws, it's a thoroughly enjoyable film with a great soundtrack.
CloudStrife84
½ April 16, 2007
You know you're watching something special when even Madonna does a good acting job. A highly enjoyable drama-comedy, that not only strikes a blow for gender equality and women in sports, but is also incredibly funny. I've never had much interest in baseball (watching it that is, because I do love playing it) and yet this movie had me very entertained. And if that doesn't say something about how fun it is, I don't know what will.
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
Wow probably the longest urinating scene in movie history from Tom Hanks which is just funny! :)
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, its a unique and funny, sweet comedy that i enjoyed greatly! A great cast and well acted! Im not a huge fan of sprt related movies but this is clearly in 'a league of its own!' A Remarkably entertaining movie to enjoy !
MANUGINO
April 16, 2008
There's no crying in baseball!

Saw it again! What a masterpiece! Probably Penny Marshall's best film ever. Amazing story, terrific acting, great music, and superb cinematography. Indeed one of my favorite sports films ever. This movie brings me so much memories of my childhood, it feels so damn good to see this film, I will never grow tired of it. I can truly watch this movie over and over again and still be inspired by it. I think it shows just what women are capable of. It will make u cry and the best part is that there are some true facts. There's romance, fighting, comedy, and some dancing. I mean it has everything a movie needs to be enjoyable. Believe me it wont be a waste of time. You can watch this movie with family and friends. If u haven't seen it i strongly recommend it.

In a small town in Oregon, farm girls Dottie Hinson (Geena Davis) and Kit Keller (Lori Petty) are sisters who compete with each other, even over the little things. Older, prettier, more settled and married Dottie is the catcher for the local softball team sponsored by Lukash Dairy. Kit is her younger sister, and pitcher on the same team, who feels that she can't measure up to Dottie in her own eyes, or in the eyes of others. With so many young men overseas fighting the Axis, there is a danger that professional baseball will be shut down for the duration of the war. A well-known candy manufacturer, Walter Harvey (Gary Marshall), contrives the idea to create a professional baseball league for women; both the keep the sport alive and to make a buck or two. Dottie is recruited by a scout (John Lovitz) for this new league but refuses to go unless her sister is allowed on the team. On the way to Chicago they also intervene to get an outstanding batter, Marla Hooch (Megan Cavanaugh) a try-out as well. Once in Chicago, they are introduced to the other girls who will be on one of the four teams: May and Doris (Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell) are close friends from New York; Shirley Baker (Anne Cusack) is an illiterate farm-girl. These women, along with their team-mates, begin a journey that opens up a whole new world, far beyond that of the baseball diamond, lead by team manager, Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), a washed-up star ruined by alcohol and angered and embarrassed to be the coach of a girl's team.
cosmo313
June 9, 2006
For the longest time, I plead ignorance and never realized that this was based on a true story. It takes liberties with the story, but it hits all the major notes and gets it mostly right.

This is an inspiring and heartwarming tale of the first major lbseball league for women, set during World war II when women were needed to fill the vacant spots left by the men who went overseas to fight the war.

The cast is good. This is back when Rosie O'Donnell still appeared to have talent and actually be pretty attractive (yes, I just said that). Madonna is also great as the bozy partner in crime who pals around with O'Donnell. Geena Davis is terrific as the smart and sassy catcher, and Lori Petty is not bad as her jealous younger sister. I'm hoping that her annoyingness is part of the character, and not how she is in general. John Lovitz is good as the sleazy and obnoxious talent scout, but, for me, the real scene stealer is Tom Hanks. He's an asshole in this, but he's also stll likeable and enjoyable to watch. I wish he would go back to making movies like this, and playing these types of characters.

This is fun and etertaining, and males you feel good afterwards. Don't hesitate to see it.
July 30, 2010
Not at all a well-made film in the traditional sense, but it still passes with me thanks to my weak-spot of sentimentality in films.
½ September 25, 2009
Sentimental rubbish but altogether not too bad! Geena Davis in Baseball get up is quite easy on the eye ;o)
FilmFanatik
March 25, 2007
Penelope Spheris' greatest work, IMO.
½ March 24, 2007
What ever happened to Lori Petty?
thmtsang
August 11, 2007
Great cast. Movie about a female baseball team. Tom Hanks really filled out for this role. Madonna puts in a great performance.
June 23, 2007
A great heart warming film as the women set up their own baseball league. Two sisters who join from the beginning end up becoming rivals on and off the pitch. A well made film with the 3 main leads making the film what it is. Think it is loosely based on true events as well.
June 20, 2007
Tom Hanks caught up running the first professional women's baseball team. There's a lot of female humour here. I couldn't get too interested in it.
½ May 14, 2007
well the movie is good, the story is interesting, very well adapted to the year its supposed to be. The cast is saved by Tom Hanks and Geena Davis, Rosie O'Donnell is quite funny, but please somebody tell Madonna that she is no actress at all
puffchunk
May 6, 2007
blah blah girls are good at sports blah blah
½ April 12, 2007
I really liked Jon Lovitz in this.
garyX
½ March 17, 2007
Feeble soap opera cum sports movie complete with all the appropriate cliches. Madonna actually isn't too bad in this (she's practically playing herself) but Tom Hanks' over-rated performance is just one of many 2 dimensional stereotypes on display.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 9, 2007
i dont like most of the people in this flick and i still thought it was good
½ December 28, 2006