• PG-13, 1 hr. 54 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Leatherheads Reviews

Jens S

March 31, 2008
What starts out as a sports comedy about the early days of the formation of a professional football league in the US soon turns into a romance slash screwball comedy, mostly thanks to Zellweger's usual "woman ahead of her times" character. While she is trying to uncover the truth about a young player's war hero story, her and Clooney are getting closer. That's sometimes witty, sometimes silly and most of the times a bit too stereotype-laden. The sports aspect gets mostly neglected in the middle section, except for the constant back and forth about the war hero story. In the end we do get a game of underdogs vs. favorites, with the expected outcome, but as someone who considers American football to be the most boring sports on the planet, it's hard to get excited about it.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 28, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by Leatherheads. Directed by George Clooney, this is a well made romantic comedy that I found enjoyable and fun. With some surprisingly good performances, Leatherheads is a different, refreshing romantic comedy. Renee Zellweger is pretty good considering I've never really found her that good to begin with. This is a fine film with a good script, and effective directing from Clooney who also stars in this film. What kept me involved with the film were the well written story, and the cast. Every person here delivered something special to the screen. This is not a film that is for everyone, but if you're interested in watching a different type of romantic comedy, then give this one a shot. The blend of sports film with the romantic comedy elements work well because of a smart script, a great cast and good directing. George Clooney clearly has talent, and he makes this a charming film to watch. I found this film to be a bit underrated, and I don't understand why it has received so much flack. This is much better than the usual Adam Sandler, Jenifer Aniston rom-com. I don't get why the negative reviews. The main actors give great performances and really bring out the best out of the film. This is a different take on the genre, and I very much loved it. Funny, silly and fun, this is a film worth watching. Leatherheads is an underrated film, one that should get more praise as a well written, well acted and actually very smart film in a genre where the films usually fall flat due to its predictability, poor plot and poor cast. This film has none of those, and really should be seen.
Daniel P

March 31, 2012
Three stars might be a little high, but I had heard such bad things about this movie that to end up liking it bumps up its rating. It's another old-timey Clooney joint, which he is perfect for, and Renee Zellweger, whose look is really not for me, plays well as a determined journalist in an age of blatant sexism. Lots of honest laughs and love, but there's a chase scene in the middle that's so campy you might want to turn it off. It's an immature work by an emerging director, but Clooney's going to keep getting better - Good Night and Good Luck showed a ton of promise. As for Leatherheads, though... it's a silly, disposable film, but fun nonetheless; I mean, how many other movies about 1920s professional football have you seen? If nothing else, it's fairly original (for Hollywood), and Rick Reilly's work on the script appears to have helped a lot.
Phil H

April 21, 2008
A lovely and amusing film which really looks the business but is unfortunatley rather dull haha. As said the look of the film is truly brilliant, the costumes and sets all look great and really stand out.
The casting was very good, Clooney shows his quite surprisingly good prat falls and facial humour, his acting isn't topps but for this its sufficent.
Both Krasinski and Zellweger are also good choices for the era, Zellweger has always looked as if she's been kidnapped from the era but her acting is pretty dire. Krasinski is fine but nothing special, alittle too wet really. To look at they fit perfectly yet the acting isn't too good.
One scene where Clooney and Zellweger are escaping from a speakeasy raid by the police is pretty embarrasing really, corny, cheesy and terrible acting, it isn't much better throughout to be honest.
The whole thing is sweet and charming but its just dull and not very entertaining with dodgy acting, the great period looks save it.
Anthony L

October 1, 2009
I actually rather enjoyed this film. It?s been given really bad reviews, which I can't help but feel is a little unfair. The direction is great, the acting is spot on and the script is really, really good! C'mon people, it?s really not that bad!
Tim S

June 8, 2009
It's really too bad that this film falls on it's face as hard as it does. Clooney and, yes, even Krasinski are charming as shit and do what they can with the little material they are given. There is an underlying current in this film that I wish they would have focused more on (the changing of sports when the "rules" got involved) and instead tried to go with a tired love story which allows Zellweger to waste my time yet again playing that way ahead of her time woman role. Either way, Clooney does know how to frame a shot and make it look pretty, with nice cinematography by Thomas Newton Sigel. It's like watching Ladykillers by the Coen Bros., you keep wanting to like it, but then just find yourself scratching your head.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

January 3, 2008
Well, I must admit that George Clooney make a weird movie to me... It can't be called as a drama movie because this movie was very light, but full of long conversation with pretty much difficult words used... While if it's classified as a comedy, it didn't make me laugh at all!! How ridiculous... George Clooney himself just looks very old in this old fashioned movie, while Renee Zellweger gave a performance I've been waiting for since last I saw her in her Oscar winning performance in Cold Mountain... And John Krasinski really shows some potential as a young comedy actor... Overall, the story about football really didn't interest me best because the fact that I watched this movie just not to miss Renee's performance in her every single movie...
Summer W

April 25, 2009
A fun little football farce with a good cast.
Michael G

March 25, 2008
I'm a big fan of George Clooney's other directorial outings but Leatherheads just didn't cut it. I applaud him for trying to make not only another period piece but a movie that echoed the classic screwball comedies of the 30s and 40s. Leatherheads has its amusing moments (the speakeasy fight is the only one that sticks out right now) and I didn't hate Renee Zellweger as much as I thought I would or normally do. Clooney's Clooney but John Krasinski was pretty dull. I'm not a fan of sports or sports movies but I don't think my lack of enthusiasm for this movie had anything to do with that.
Jose Z

April 4, 2008
Leatherheads is a romantic comedy set in the world of 1920s football, where the owner of a professional team drafts a strait-laced college sensation, only to watch his new coach fall for his fiancée. George Clooney directs his second movie and sincerely after his multi-nominated Good Night and Good Luck, I think he came up short with this one. The story is interesting but the plot is kinda predictable and not very well developed, some situations in the movie are simply ridiculous. The cast is really good but the performances wasn't that good. George Clooney and Renee Zellweger make a very good couple. In conclusion, Leatherheads is an enjoyable movie but worth to see only on DvD.
deano
deano

January 3, 2008
Good and enjoyable romantic comedy set in the world of 1920s American football. I can see the elements of the classic comedy style where the leads are tetchy adversaries until that sudden snap realisation that golly-gee, they actually kind of like each other, this movie is ace from start to finish.
Julie B

March 31, 2008
Bad plane movie #1. Oh George, what got into you?
Mark H

July 18, 2008
Romantic comedy set in the 1920s about the early days of the NFL. Film desperately wants to be one of those screwball comedies Hollywood did to perfection in the 30s and 40s. Unfortunately, the story lacks any kind of focus or excitement. Furthermore, the narrative is such a labored exercise in capturing nostalgic details, it all becomes a tedious bore. In a word, it's joyless.
Al S

January 9, 2008
An fantastic and brilliant comedy. A field goal of gut-busting laughs that you will love from begining to end. Pure fun and enjoyment that will have you falling over in laughter. Sensational and hilarious. A classy, well-written and terifficly performed movie. Director and star, George Clooney shows more great star power and outragious comic ability. Renee Zellweger, John Krasinski and George Clooney are irrisistable together, they have such, witty wonderful and magnificent chemistry. This sports flick delivers it all, action, romance and comedy that scores.
MovieMaster12
MovieMaster12

October 3, 2008
Clooney and Zellweger are certainly charming. There sharp dialogue bounced back and forth had a bit of the old fashioned spark of Gable and Colbert in It Happened One Night. In fact the whole film has a very old fashioned feel and accomodates it's 1920's setting comfortably. If director Clooney was going for that he hit the mark, but unfortunately he misses his reciever on many other essential levels. The film suffers tremendously from the lack of a strong central focus. Is it a football movie, or a romance, or about a scandel, or a screwball comedy, or a period piece, or all of those things? Most accurately, it's none of those things leaving an unengaging dog pile of dissatisfying pieces that don't add up to anything. Despite it's charms Leatherheads' offensive line crumbles due to a flimsy plot structure that can't stay out of the mud.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 2, 2008
I really liked this movie. So witty and stylish I just loved the 20's, that era was so fun and decent. A romantic comedy set in the world of 1920s football, where the owner of a professional team drafts a strait-laced college sensation, only to watch his new coach fall for his fiancée.
Luke B

July 20, 2008
Clooney takes on the screwball comedy genre with much success. The laughs are plentiful but perhaps too much like their old counterparts. Some is dated and not as funny as it once was. Luckily Clooney is a truly great actor and one who has a classic movie star of old feel and style. Like Intolerable Cruelty the film makes the most of its charmin lead though other relationships aren't properly extended upon. After Goodnight and Goodluck this film may seem like a disspointment, but it is a wonderful tribute to films of old even if it doesn't quite match up to them. It doesn't help I'm not really a fan of American football but still the final game isn't exactly exhilerating but maybe that's the point.
thmtsang
thmtsang

April 5, 2008
Set in the 1920s before American football went professional. George's character Dodge is getting old and his team sucks, so he attracts an American football college star to play on his team. They fight on the field and over Renee who plays a journalist out to dish the dirt. I love the one on one fighting scene. The pace of the movie is a little slow but George is a great comic actor with slapstick humour.
Apeneck F

April 11, 2008
george clooney does some job here impersonating cary grant and his performance is the center of a film that's more than a smile and a nod dedication to the screwball comedies of those halycon golden days of hollywood. everyone else in the film deliberates on the subject of resurrecting that genre, but that's about all that they do, not having clooney's familial background and heritage with the same. maybe yah gotta be bred for it. ms. zellweger gives an admirable attempt to capture the zeighest, but it eludes her slippery grasp, just as it does the rest of the cast. a great might have been here.