Leaving Las Vegas Reviews

½ October 1, 2014
Cage is great but Shue gives her best performance[and years best performance]in one of the most disturbingly brilliant movies of the 90's.
April 22, 2015
Why do so many people like this movie? It's awful! To be fair to Nic Cage, his acting isn't bad, but he sure as hell didn't deserve to win an Oscar for his performance. And the ending is probably one of the worst I've ever seen in a film. Do not see this piece of shit.
April 17, 2015
An awfully bleak and depressing drama that doesn't offer us any door or way in to connect to a deplorable alcoholic who only wants to die and a pitiable prostitute in need of his love - and her interview scenes are just intrusive, unnecessary and heavy-handed like most of the script.
April 12, 2015
Cage is culminating in what I consider to be one of the greatest films of the past 20 years. "Vegas" goes where few films haves gone before and seems to make sense of a senseless story. Shoes are not often filled with this much effect of depressed and torn individuals with so much disconnect to life. In the midstt, Ben and Sera find an ironic love affair that inevitably has no future. That's the heart of "Vegas". As much as we would love to see them overcome the overwhelming boundaries of their lives, the intense affection for each other is what makes every moment as heartbreaking and fitting as it is. They should both be "leaving las Vegas". The bitter fruit is that one is leaving everything, and hopefully the other leaves it for something better.
April 24, 2011
Sera: Don't you like me, Ben?
Ben Sanderson: Sera... what you don't understand is - no, see, no. You can never, never ask me to stop drinking. Do you understand?
Sera: I do. I really do.

Una de las historias de amor más trágicas en la historia del cine y también más realistas. Acá no existen los personajes que mágicamente se transforman por estar enamorados. Personas profundamente rotas que pueden -aunque sea por un instante- encontrar confort en la compañía del otro y acompañarse en sus miserias. Ben es un alcohólico que ya está al fin del camino, y decide irse a Las Vegas a dejarse morir a menos del alcohol. Conoce a Sera, una prostituta y se enamora, pero desde el principio le deja en claro que la bebida es su prioridad y que sus planes no van a cambiar solo por haberla conocido. Honrando su palabra, ambos tratan de mantenerse a flote, pero a la final sus demonios son más fuertes que ellos. La química entre Cage y Shue es uno de los aspectos más resaltantes porque hacen de esta película una de las experiencias más dolorosas que he visto en la pantalla, sobretodo porque se sabe que no habrá final feliz. Probablemente esta sea la actuación más poderosa en la carrera de Nicolas Cage. Su retrato como alcohólico te deja frío, especialmente sabiendo que esta es la realidad de millones de personas actualmente. Pero a pesar de que es la persona más egoísta, deja dicho que es la botella que lo somete y sólo de vez en cuando podemos ver su verdadero carácter detrás de la tragedia de su alcoholismo y es suficiente para sentir empatía y lograr ver lo que Sera vio en él. Esta película se mantiene sincera a su premisa de principio a fin, y aunque no sea una experiencia agradable, el director Mike Figgis estuvo dispuesto a contar esta historia que se aleja totalmente de cualquier estereotipo hollywoodense y se agradece. Una película brutal.
February 23, 2015
Nicholas Cage is a gem when it comes to overacting, but in this film his overstated performance feels exactly in place and surprisingly enhances perfectly the noir styled depravity on exhibition in this dark and intense romantic drama which itself is a pinnacle of downbeat cinema.
March 10, 2015
A very evocative movie for me. It captures the darkness and nihilism of Vegas that is hidden in plain site. I lived nine years in Las Vegas and partied with whores many times, smoking crack, not one of them ever looked remotely like Sera though. I've watched this film many times. It's difficult to watch, however.
½ March 2, 2015
I had known this as the movie Cage won best actor for so i checked it out, damn its a frustrating experience, there's a great film buried in here, the relationship between the alcoholic and a prostitute has a lot of potential as theyre both broken lonely sad people, and they do have some nice scenes together, but the director ruins it with so many awful music choices that break the mood, cage has some very good scenes showing the real ugly side of alcoholism but other times hes just so over the top and silly that it loses credibility, and normally i love julian sands, but hes over the top here as well, and they just abandon his character halfway through, just a shame cuz this could have been so much better with a better director
½ February 28, 2015
A great love story, without any shame of who these characters are. Mike Figgis takes a great novel, and turns it into a immensely fascinating film, shot expertly in Super 16mm. Nicholas Cage is the main reason to see this. Not necessarily a good actor by reputation, but his turn here is outstanding. He perfectly captures the hopeless alcoholic in love. Elizabeth Shue is just as good.
½ February 25, 2015
dark, dull, depressing but very well acted
½ December 19, 2014
Leaving Las Vegan is probably the most depressing movie ever made after Breaking the waves. Storytelling in this was exquisite. Never imagined Nicolas Cage being so good, he was that good that he won an oscar for it. He drinks himself to death to achieve that, Exceptional performance.
February 14, 2015
Just goes to show: if you're an alcoholic or a prostitute and expect to have a non-dysfunctional (and non-judgmental) relationship with someone, you're going to have a bad time...
½ February 12, 2015
Leaving Las Vegas is one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. A drunk who goes to Las Vegas, falls in love with a hooker and... that's about it. Nicholas Cage won the oscar for this movie and honestly, I don't know why. I know he acts drunk the whole movie but... I don't know, it didn't really impress me that much. There's really not much to say about this movie. Just kinda dull.
February 6, 2015
I have to say this is my all-time favorite film-noir tragedy...back when Nicholas Cage was on a roll, moving from one cheap, tired Christ to the next...the compleat antithesis of the kind of shite we are seeing from him now in 2015. Elizabeth Shue is smokin' hot and portrays a compassionate whore. Your heart would have to be made of stone not to fall in love with her.
½ January 31, 2015
74%
Saw this on 31/1/15
It's nothing that I haven't seen before, but at times it can work off as a strong anti-alcohol piece. The film has got mostly fine performances from Cage( this guy got an Oscar! WTF?) and Elizabeth Shue. Anyway, it's disappointing that the film has nothing more in it than what any other average critically acclaimed dark romantic drama can give.
½ January 30, 2015
Nicolas Cage won his Oscar for this and I do not support it. Although he was good, better than he is in some of his modern slop, it wasn't a very award winning performance. I do support Elisabeth Shue's nomination I thought she was great.
July 25, 2014
For anyone who thinks Nicholas Cage is a lousy actor, I challenge you to watch this; his performance is nothing short of legendary.
½ January 11, 2015
Unflinchingly sincere tale of an alcoholic's selfishness and a hooker's desperation forging an unlikely relationship founded on acceptance. Includes surely the most bizarrely transcendent sex scene in cinema. A brutal tale brilliantly depicted.
January 5, 2015
The Lost Weekend for Generation X. Nicholas Cage and Elisabeth Shue give the performances of their lives as two lost souls. Searing, unforgettable and essential. Cage deserved the Oscar.
½ December 28, 2014
The dark romance drama 'Leaving Las Vegas' earned a lot of buzz back in 1995. The Mike Figgis-directed film nabbed four Academy Award nominations, including a best actor in a leading role win for Nicolas Cage. On the surface, 'Vegas' is about an out-of-work alcoholic who tries to find himself by drinking himself to death in the city of sin. Shortly after arriving, Ben Sanderson (Cage) crosses paths with a young, unhappy hooker named Sera (Elisabeth Shue), and the two become inseparable. This performance really was Shue's breakout role, as she was able to reach across all aspects of the acting spectrum to make her character believable.

There are few things to complain about with 'Vegas,' besides the fact that it's more depressing than not. The dialogue is pretty solid overall, which is important for a film that boasts little action or excitement. As you can imagine, the bulk of the story revolves around the relationship between Ben and Sera, which has its highs and lows during the short time they have together. Both people are in serious need of a friend and are trying to find themselves in their own ways, so their friendship definitely serves a purpose as they both continue their self-destructive behavior. The film uses a brass instrumentation-heavy soundtrack to break up the flow between some of the more dramatic scenes, which helps 'Vegas' retain somewhat light undertones throughout some heavy subject matter.

'Leaving Las Vegas' is definitely not a perfect movie, and it's more well remembered for individual acting performances than it is for being a particularly good film. But it is without a doubt an example of some of the better serious dramas of the '90s.