The Legend of the Swordsman (Xiao ao jiang hu zhi: Dong Fang Bu Bai) (Swordsman II) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of the Swordsman (Xiao ao jiang hu zhi: Dong Fang Bu Bai) (Swordsman II) Reviews

½ March 29, 2007
This HK movie gleefully pours a twisty plot into a sprawling, brawling spectacle of swordplay.
½ April 18, 2007
Skip the first movie and go directly for Kung Fu gold. One of Jet Li's best. Brigitte Lin steals the movie as a man transforming into a woman to gain martial arts power.
August 15, 2007
I happen to think Jet Li has too much of an ego to make anything truly special. He turned down roles in both The Matrix and Crouching Tiger. He HAS to be in control of everything and that comes at a price. The price is he will never make anything relevant. This was a so-so martial arts movie. But it was his same tired forumla. C'mon dude, swallow your pride, find John Woo and send a script to the Wachowski Brothers or George Lucas and make something awesome.
½ August 19, 2008
This film predates the high budget, clean film stock, Crouching Tiger. But the narrative and the action are really spectacular. It's like watching feudal Chinese superheroes.
½ August 19, 2008
A bizarre fantasy movie , loosely picking up where Swordsman II left off. a Supernatural kung-fu love story centered around a character named "Asia the invincible".
½ March 2, 2008
Sorry, Jet Li. I sill love you but I think this was literally the worst movie I've ever seen. I didn't know what the hell was going on, and the whole thing just seemed way too schizophrenic and random.
½ August 19, 2008
The original with Sam Hui is actually better, but i once read it described as "a physics experiment gone terribly wrong!"
May 14, 2015
Lunchtime for me these days is often surprise time because the classic films are often showed within this very awkward time frame. And yesterday was "Swordsman II" with my ever-favourite Brigitte Lin (and Rosamund Kwan, and Jet Li, and Michelle Reis). Still love every single frame of this film.
½ July 19, 2014
This is probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
March 13, 2014
Great Jet Li movie with some incredible fight scenes. It is however extremely violent and bloody for a Jet film, so beware!
May 2, 2013
A gender-flipping warlord (Brigitte Lin) has allied with some Japanese exiles in the hopes of toppling the Ming dynasty. The only obstacle in the path of their scheme is Ling (Jet Li), a drunken swordsman who was planning to give up martial arts. Swordsman II is a ridiculously campy mess with queer dialogue, goofball performances, and a willfully bizarre love story at the heart of things. Its maniacally brisk pace is helped along by a string of sharp, hyper-kinetic stunts and fight sequences. While hardly a masterpiece, it should provide some entertainment for those who like their kung-fu with a massive dose of cheese (It should be noted that a heavily altered version of this film was released in the U.S. as Legend of the Swordsman. Anyone interested in this movie should seek out the uncut version released in Taiwan).
½ January 25, 2013
This is one of my favorite Jet Li movies beyond his Wong Fei-hung & Fong Sai-yuk series. It has great action, a good story line, and even romance. Plus you have Brigitte Lin as Asia the Invincible and Rosamund Kwan. This is a classic among the Hong Kong martial arts films of the 90's.
June 29, 2012
Note to self. pole kuskil
½ January 25, 2012
Wednesday, January 25, 2012

(1992) Swordsman II
(In Chinese with English subtitles)

Full of big name Chinese stars from the likes of Jet Li, Rosamond Kwan, Jacky Cheung and Hong Kong actress veteran Brigitte Lin follows a mythical tale about ruling powers within' China. Full of wire- fu effects, and not so much a fan of those either but plenty of sword fights and beheadings(looks fake, of course), back stabbers and betrayls and some comedy relief. Similar to what one can find on one of those long Chinese soap opera films except that it's all crammed into a film. The other thing I like about this film is that it's not all serious as say "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" or even "Hero"! Jet Li's boyish persona was still in tacted here before his movies went all serious and the subtitled version is better than seeing it dubbed.

3 out of 4
June 4, 2011
A great early Jet Li low budget, kung-fu film. A horse gets cut in half the long way. A man turns into a woman. People are killed from needle and thread. See it.
½ February 12, 2011
I liked it, but the fighting scenes are a little confusing...