The Legend of Zorro Reviews

June 13, 2006
review coming
Clintus M.
August 24, 2012
This sequel should never have been made. You know, there are film series in which subsequent films get better (Godfather II may be best example), and there are others that completely fall flat. In the tradition of Caddyshack 2, Staying Alive, and Jaw: The Revenge, here comes The Legend of Zorro. Come to think of it, Oceans Twelve, which also stars Catherine Zeta-Jones, was pretty awful too. The Mask of Zorro was excellent; Banderas does Jackie Chan, Anthony Hopkins was suave and somewhat menacing, and CZJ was stunning as always- exotic as well as an outstanding actress. This attempt to update the story, with the addition of their young son (kind of an Anakin Skywalker), fails to recapture the boisterous spirit of the original. Zorro figuratively flies in on a chandelier and lands flat on his back.

Why make Elena (CZJ) a shrewish wife? Why have a cartoonish villain out to spoil the party and rule the world? It's all too formulaic and thus disappointing. I suppose other action oriented series like Indiana Jones or Back to the Future could be likewise criticized, but they never failed to entertain. One thing a Zorro movie should never be is boring; this one comes close.
deano
½ December 28, 2005
Great to see Antonio Banderas (as the swashbuckling hero) and Catherine Zeta-Jones (as the daughter of the original Zorro) return to this action-adventure sequel of 1998's The Mask of Zorro. Banderas brings out with great comic sense and Zeta-Jones' role is enhanced and she gets to be more than a pretty face.
There are plenty of funny scenes with the family (including the son) of the swashbuckling hero. And awesome action sequences of what Zorro comes to fight and rescue against the new villains - the best sequence is the train at the end.
½ January 24, 2011
Here is the perfect example of having a big budget, a big studio, and big actors, but it just doesn't work. I would like to say that I enjoyed 'The Legend of Zorro' on at least some level, but I really didn't. I appreciate the director attempting to input a unique, generic tone in this, when it turns out to be a mess. The action sequences were poor too, especially the opening scene (if you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about). I don't know what to say, this movie is an abomination.
½ January 11, 2010
Certainly a lot better than I remember, but that's mainly due to the fact that Antonio Banderas does such a great job with the character. While this was certainly a lot more kid friendly and less dynamic, it does retain the fun entertainment value. There's just a few too many goofy moments that take away from letting this truly live up to the quality of the first. Luckily, we are introduced to an even more sinister villain in the form of Rufus Sewell. I'm pretty sure he should have a monopoly on evil characters. His utter joy over seeing another fail is like watching a mad scientist at work. Theoretically, this entry should have been more dark, but it just refuses to emerge from its family oriented message. That being said, I still really like it and it fits alright into the overall story. It has its moments of greatness for sure, just not anything close to its predecessor.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ April 28, 2011
Considering that the first one was absolutely terrific in delivering top notch action and delivering a solid story, this sequel is surprisingly average. The film has the feel and good ideas of the first, but the film mostly feels strained and forced. The film is still an entertaining film but its also disappointing in the fact that the first one was so good. I thought The Legend Of Zorro delivered average action and an average plot, I felt that there was nothing special about the film. The film feels like they're trying to outdo the first one which of course was great. This sequel is at times silly and really doesn't live up to the original. Overall the film is bordeline good fun, it's nothing truly excellent or good. The film is average. I found the acting to be quite sloppy too. The kid annoyed me and he was probably written into the script to give the film a "needed" edge that almost every sequel needs, a kid that gets himself into a shitload of trouble for the sake of putting the main characters at risk. This is too bad, because The Legend Of Zorro could have been something truly terrific, but the end results is that of a strained sequel that tries to overdue it's predecessor. The Legend Of Zorro will disappoint fans of the first, and some will think that this is an average or mediocre film with a watered down plot. Borderline decent, but not good or great at all. I was disappointed.
YodaMasterJedi
September 8, 2010
4 stars
January 29, 2010
It was fun, and I haven't seen the first one. However I am going to stop here! This is my one and only Zorro route!
TomBowler
½ August 1, 2009
not as good as the first one, whilst zeta-jones is still hot as ever
August 2, 2006
Catherine Zeta Jones looks so right in these period costumes and this is certainly a part of the film that worked well. There are some comical moments throughout the film (albeit some very corny moments) but unfortunately this seqel amounted to very little as at almost 2 hours long, it was a real struggle not to turn this off most of the way through. Finally a plus point was the young little Actor Adrian Alonso, who played the role of their son, adorable and talented.
thmtsang
½ July 13, 2007
Who cares about Zorro? Boring movie.
December 27, 2006
This one was cool for seeing what happened to the characters after the first movie but the story wasn't as fun as the last one.
September 15, 2006
It's Spectacular action-packed entertainment. Faster, funnier and more furious than the first. Full-throttle fun from start to finish. Dazzeling, stunning and exhilerating throughout. Romance, hilarious comedy, kinetic thrills and incrediable action make this film pure spun entertainment gold. Antonio Banderas returns in his classic supergero role and never misses a note in his teriffic performance. A wonderful piece of popcorn movie fun.
July 30, 2007
Nostalgia.
September 23, 2007
eh, if you've seen one Zorro, you've seen them all. Other than looking at a sexy woman swordfighting (or a sexy man I guess), this movie is no great shakes.
½ June 12, 2007
Doesn't live up to the first film at all...Maybe they should have waited so long to make this one.
puffchunk
May 6, 2007
Trouble. I tell you we got Trouble. With a capital T and rhymes with T and that stands for TERRIBLE. The first one was awesome, but man did they go wrong with this one. I'd rather watch star wars prequels than this garbage.
April 29, 2007
A top quality film, great swashbuckling fun for all!
½ March 26, 2007
Could've been better.
February 13, 2007
This is a fun movie. It recaptures everything that made Mask of Zorro fun: great fight scenes, funny dialogue and silly near-miss dupes. I really like the scenes where Antonio Banderas acts drunk. This movie is fun for when you watch it, but I don't think I'd be able to tell you what happened in it. It's pretty forgettable.