67% The Equalizer Sep 26

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return Reviews

Bradley T. Johnson
Bradley T. Johnson

July 13, 2014
Legends Of Oz is miraculously creepy for a kids film. The design is utterly lifeless and the villain is terrifying. Easily the worst animated film of the last three years, Legends of Oz is stuffed with stock characters, ugly animation and a boring plot that is sure to have one running to the better animated films of the year, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, and The Lego Movie to wash the stink. Rating: 26
August 17, 2014
Super bitchy china doll...yeah whatever. The songs are kinda dumb and I was left wondering how the hell Dorothy came up with her idea to save everyone at the end of the movie.
ajusog
April 30, 2014
Only michelle's singing kept our kids in their seats, every other part, the kids were begging to leave the theater
timoncjm
April 19, 2014
It was a great, very fun and very entertaining animated family film. It had very beautiful animation, really great voice cast, great songs, very artistic visuals, very lovable characters, very exciting adventure, and a great story. It's one of the finest animated films of the year. I strongly recommend this movie to kids and adults alike.
weissdesigngroup
April 3, 2014
Great upcoming film for all families! Who wouldn't want to see this film....looks like a gem to me!
April 7, 2014
This is a really fun movie for all ages! It picks up where the Wizard of Oz left off. The music is beautiful and has a great plot.
September 1, 2014
Decent story...but it ground to a halt every time they inserted a poorly written song.
August 30, 2014
AWESOME I loved this.
August 28, 2014
NOTHING can top the 1939 classic.
August 28, 2014
Dorothy is back! Bigger and better in this musical adventure where very interesting, new and hilarious characters are introduced. Dorothy finds herself back in the land of Oz where a new evil villain is taking over. The Jester, brother of the previous witch and Dorothy have to fight for Oz with the help of her three new and very different friends - Marsh Mallow, a very kind marsh mellow soldier, a wise, very large and brave owl, and the China princess, a little dainty princess with a big heart.
This movie introduces very catchy and fun songs that make you want to get up dance, sing along or something like that. These songs just put you in a good mood. Some of my favorite songs are the ones sung by legendary Lea Michele (Glee) who voices the role of Dorothy. My favorite song is one called "One Day" which is the song at the end - the big finale.
Legends of Oz is different because this isn't just a remake of the original Oz movie. It is an animated sequel to the movie with a a whole bunch of different things that you would NEVER think of happening at the end of the first movie. For example, they've added a new evil villain - The Jester, Dorothy's three hilarious new friends and they took the classic "no place like home" shoe-click out of the movie and replaced it with a rainbow that swoops Dorothy up to Oz and then takes her back to Kansas.
My two favorite things about the movie are the music and Dorothy's three new friends. I cannot stop obsessing over the music. It is fantastic! I have every single song from the movie stuck in my head and for once, it's a not a bad thing. Marsh Mallow, the soldier, is such a kind and obedient character throughout the whole movie and I really liked that. I also think that without Wiser The Owl, the story would be missing something. He is very funny and unpredictable and was, by far, my favorite character. Last, but not least, is the little China princess who is a tiny, dainty princess with a HUGE voice.
I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 4 to 12 because this movie is for anybody.

Reviewed by Samantha A., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.
August 28, 2014
Poorly animated take on the classic tale stays boring throughout. Why? It's soooo bad.
August 27, 2014
This Movie is Amazing Movie, At lest to me. But Its Just my opinon
August 25, 2014
This is less popular than The Wizard of Oz, despite the critical reception being "lame".
August 12, 2014
You'd be better off watching the classic 1939 film
August 11, 2014
Nothing really special about it. You'd think an animated Wizard of Oz film would show something rather impressive but... nope. One time I'm going to say that the animated version is inferior to the live action. Now I feel dirty.
August 10, 2014
No, Toto ... you're not in Kansas anymore and this is NOT a trip worth taking over the rainbow. This animated migraine of a motion picture is so chaotic and filled with annoyances that one should avoid it to keep from marring one's ideal of Oz. Even last year's Oz and the 80's (underrated yet creepy) fable Return to Oz are (a lot) better than this one. Much time has passed in Oz since Dorothy melted the Wicked Witch, and it finds itself in peril once again at the hands of the Witch's brother, a cursed being known as the Jester. Merely a day has passed for Dorothy in Kansas (sporting some wickedly awful cowboy boots here) but she is summoned by the Scarecrow to return to save Oz once again. We meet a group of new friends this time -- including the China Princess who is much different than the delicate and sweet China Girl from last year's film -- and there are several new (terrible) songs. Who made this thing?!? Adapted from a book by Roger S. Baum ... a grandson of L. Frank Baum who isn't nearly as talented, the entire movie comes across as a cruel joke played on all of us by the Jester. Kids might enjoy it but why subject them to such drivel? Pull out the original, magical classic instead.
Andrew
August 10, 2014
Legends of Oz is a really dull movie. The story is boring and uninteresting, while the characters are unfunny. Also, the animation looks pretty bad, comparing to other animated films. This flick can only be enjoyed by very young audiences. For average moviegoers, watching this entire thing without cringing is a pretty hard job.
May 2, 2014
Total letdown after following it through it's multi-year production with high hopes. The visuals are pleasing and Lea Michele's songs were great, but the story just wasn't up to snuff. Plus, it muddies the waters of whether the original film happened or not!
August 2, 2014
Has some cute metaphors and all, but otherwise is a movie full of fairy dust vs evil.