Legends of the Fall Reviews

½ March 22, 2009
Not a legendary tale, but pretty absorbing family drama. Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt shine in their role and so do the supporting actors. However, I gotta admit that I didn't like Julia Ormond and Karina Lombard
½ November 19, 2009
A movie that I feel is both good and bad at the same time. While it is a powerful story, the script is so overly corny that it is ruined. The acting is so-so, Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins gave the only decent performances.
September 14, 2009
"Legends of the Fall" is an epic set in the early 1900s about a close-knit family that randomly comes together and breaks apart. Tristan (Brad Pitt), Alfred (Aidan Quinn), and Samuel (Henry Thomas) have always been real close. One thing that all three brothers have in common is that they all go into war together and see how tough it is to experience such a struggle, even though their father, Colonel William Ludlow (Anthony Hopkins) doesn't like the idea. Another thing they have in common is that they all love Susannah (Julia Ormond).
All of the characters in "Legends of the Fall" have their own separate personalities that can clash or come together at the drop of a hat. I could explain each of them, but that would give the movie away. Throughout the film, the different characters provide commentary about different events such as reading letters that are written, or telling personal thoughts.

"Legends of the Fall" won the 1994 Oscar for best cinematography in a motion picture, and it's true, this film does have spectacular scenery and landscapes, but that's the least that "Legends of the Fall" has to offer.

There are both good times and bad times in "Legends of the Fall." Overall, it's a fairly depressing movie, but that's just because it's a realistic film about how jealousy and bad times such as war ruled the world back in the early 1900's, and probably even more these days.

As I mentioned earlier, all of the main cast put out their absolute best effort in "Legends of the Fall." As always, I was the utmost impressed by Anthony Hopkins's performance. Brad Pitt, who was the main star in this film, puts out what is his best effort ever, in my opinion.

I can tell when a movie is one of my favorites of all time by how much I want to see it after I see it for the first time, and especially by how often I watch it after seeing it several times. "Legends of the Fall" is one of those movies that never has and never will get old to me.

No matter what kind of movie you like, even if you're not crazy about epics or dramas, give "Legends of the Fall" a chance. It just might become one of your favorite motion picture legends. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Indeed, Pitt's best, one of Hopkins's best, and one of my favorites.
CloudStrife84
½ April 12, 2007
Dazzling, riveting and amazingly beautiful! There was a lot more to this film than just it's eye-pleasing visuals though, because it's also blessed with a well-written script, and a cast that leaves little to complain about (the most notable actors of which being Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins and Julia Ormond, who all shine in their respective roles). Great music score as well by James Horner. For all it's cinematic beauty, however, you'll not find your usual Hollywood ending here. It's more a tale of loss, revenge and tragedy, than anything else. Perhaps a tad too tragic for my taste, as I would have prefered to see a happier fate for its characters. A good movie either way though, and an emotional journey well worth taking.
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Excellent movie with great cast and plot. Three brothers grow up on a farm and they all fall for the same woman. Over the years she works her way through them. At one point I wondered if she would go for the dad too! The scenery and inter-relationships are very interesting.
November 26, 2007
My new favorite movie! I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago.

A very touching and beautiful story about a family, brothers, and their journey.
February 13, 2007
My favourite tragic romance film, I particularly enjoy the native Indian influence in this film. I can't say any more without giveing the plot away to those who haven't seen this film, but it's a great journey of three brothers, who are each unique.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 18, 2007
an early film for the genius edward zwick, this is a truly beautiful movie with astounding cinematography and amazing locations. the scenery in nearly every shot was absolutely amazing. the acting was also solid, especially hopkins. the only thing holding this film back is the very bizarre story itself. it was difficult to find much of a sense of realism as the film played more like a soap opera than a gripping tale of humanity, but the technical elements of this flick were on point.
½ April 7, 2007
Worth it just to see Brad Pitt scalp a bunch of Germans
SilentWarProductions2009
December 5, 2006
Directed by: Edward Zwick.
Starring: Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins, Aldan Quinn, Julia Ormond, Henry Thomas.

This film frustrates me. The fact that it is this preachy melodrama wrapped up with some unnecessary cheese for the characters, but the fact that the film is also so gripping and thoughtful. I think the latter has made me a sucker.

The story follows Colonel Ludlow, who's wife moved apart from him, was left to raise his three sons away from the government, due to the disrespect of Native Indians that he had come to love. The brothers are like glue, until a young woman named Susanna enters their lives. Its sounds like a classic love story from a book...you could say that, seeing as it is based of a novel, but what is more gripping in the film is character. The screenplay has a sweeping epic feel, with some unnecessary cheese and plot points for characters that add a melodramatic feel to it all, but you can't help but me engrossed. Its a tale of brotherhood, betrayal, love and loss...and all the grief in between. The focus is more of Brad Pitt's character Tristan, who goes through the most changes throughout the film and its an interesting and sad journey through madness and sorrow. The acting is spectacular, as you would hope.

Brad Pitt's performance is purely emotional and deep, ranging through his different levels with skill. Aidan Quinn is not someone I really look forward to in films but he surprised me with his gripping performance, much like Brad Pitt, his range is stunning. Anthony Hopkins falls into his melodramatic character a bit too much and although his strong presence and performance is great for the first half, his change in character halfway through is...hammy.

Edward Zwicks direction is spectacular as always. Shared with some gorgeous cinematography along a brilliant and beautiful backdrop, his sweeping epic style gives the film more life.

I can't finish without mentioning James Horner's score. The fact that the Academy overlooked a nomination is appalling, especially when 3 of 5 that year deserved a spot. So rich is delivery and layered nicely, it's worth watching film for that alone.

Legends of the Fall is a frustrating, cheesy melodrama that works, thanks to some strong performances and an interesting character tale. A love/hate film that has won me over.
½ May 15, 2007
Though some of the performances were good I cannot help but think that people were fooled into thinking this was an amazing or fantastic film. I would merely describe it good or maybe say it was a good effort. The plot at times seems too unbelievable and at times silly and Pitt's performance unfortunately was not believable either. It's entertaining nonetheless. Aidan Quinn's performance was basically the only one I could bear to watch and that I found to be good along with some other minor supporting characters so unimportant that I barely remember their names. I cannot deny that the film made me shed a tear or two because frankly it's hard not to when so many tragedies befall this family but the typical stereotyped behavior of men portrayed in this film when in mourning or when they fall in love with a woman, etc. etc. just didn't cut it out for me. Rent it if there's nothing better around the store.
May 14, 2007
Didn't like this. Hated Brad Pitt's character. Hated Julia Ormond for loving Brad when she had Aidan Quinn right there. She throws herself at this useless pile of hair and blows off a man who is handsome, successful, loving and good to her. She deserved what she got.
Beefy
April 25, 2007
I enjoy watching it, but it nearly redefines "melodramatic".
puffchunk
½ April 23, 2007
Brad pitt fights a bear, and anthony hopkins goes craze. You win twince!
jjnxn
½ April 7, 2007
a bit overwrought and operatic but compelling with some breath taking cinematography.
deano
½ February 11, 2007
Great epic adventure and powerful story of brotherhood and betrayal.
sainttom93
January 14, 2007
too long
½ December 28, 2006
Good. The one that made Pitt a star.
½ November 23, 2006
Decent but not essential.
½ April 11, 2006
Legends of the fall has to be one of the most frustrating films I have ever seen. What could have been an excellent film ended up being a vehicle for promotion of Brad Pitt. It should have been called the legend of Tristian (Brad Pitt), because the story isn't about the three brothers nor is it about a woman who changes their lives, the entire ridiculous story is just interested in the character of Tristian, a character that finds it difficult loving anyone as much as he loves himself. Brad Pitt is a very handsome actor but that's it, he is not a great actor, his performance was no exception, wooden and lackluster. This frustrates me because everything else should have lead it to be more than what it is, the casting of the formidable Sir Anthony Hopkins, the breathtaking epic scenery and the period design. In my opinion a utter diaster.