Legends of the Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legends of the Fall Reviews

April 22, 2016
An enjoyable movie despite its flaws.
March 27, 2016
sweeping sappy hollywoodyish maudlin beautiful enjoyable washing away epic if you let it ..so deal with it or dont
and rip to the author
½ January 19, 2016
There has never been a better example of a movie that desperately wants to be good, but gets so lost in trying its viewers stop caring half way through.
½ January 16, 2016
good meldrama family saga
December 18, 2015
Love this family complexity. One of my all time favorite!
½ December 17, 2015
Melodramatic and overwrought. Even the (nice) score was sometimes not proper for the film in some places. I found it sometimes quite amusing for probably not-intended reasons. With that said, it keeps itself going along at a nice pace and the cinematography is spectacular. Some parts work better than others, but it never truly descends into cringe. Between 3 and 3.5. Sort of occupies the same territory as Coppola's 'Dracula' but is a bit better than that film. As with that film, it looks great, and this film has such a tremendous eye that I bump it to 3.5.
December 8, 2015
amazing movie , great story i cry every time in one of the scenes
½ November 24, 2015
Really enjoyed it, but everybody dies. And I mean everybody. Hopkins was great, and so was Pitt (as always).
November 15, 2015
Sure it's melodramatic and a little bloated, but Edward Zwick is an amazing director and the cinematography is stunning.
October 25, 2015
Instant movie classic
October 23, 2015
This film was just TRAGIC. Oh, I'm sure it was meant to be a 'tragedy'... But really, it should have been titled simply, "The Consequence of Sin". That's all it was; the story of a family torn apart by idiotic sinful choices. She went absolutely bonkers over a guy and gave herself to him repeatedly without making him marry her, and then wondered what went wrong when he left and would not return. And then he rejects her, but then later they realize they should've been together, and she cracks even further... Just awful. Cinematicly, it was fantastic, and the acting (with all that unnecessary drama due to their poor decisions) was superb. But I'm left with no desire to ever see this again, so three stars is as high as it can earn. So little redemptive about this movie. And that line towards the end about him being a stone people dashed themselves against... stolen right out of the bible when it was about Christ... Gross.
September 17, 2015
I believe this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have seen thousands. I never get tired watching it.
September 7, 2015
Given this is the movie that I got my name from, it gets a good review from me, but it is of course still a great film. It has a bit of everything, from war, to western, to romance, to bootlegging. It has some of the days popular actors, some of who are so today, who but up good performances overall. The script is good, the soundtrack is catchy and sorta like the Titanic theme, and cinematography is good also, which won an award. The story makes this movie above all else, it's deverse, sad, and interesting, and always is catching us off guard. Something new is always happening, and more often than not, it's not to the benefit to the characters. The whole movie is one of tragety, death, and just overall bad things happening to more character than one. The World War One part is good, the loneliness at home is showed often, and the changing of hands with the seemingly love curse their family has is the main focus. The ending where they hunt down those responsible was good, although I was disappointed that they didn't kill more, until the ending where they finished off the bad cops at their house in a great final scene. Overall is a good movie, a sad one for sure, as nothing seems to go right the whole time, but it's defiantly a good watch.
September 5, 2015
Excellent film with a great cast
May 22, 2015
While this movie has a powerful story, it has flaws which bring it down but it's still a great movie nonetheless.

This tale follows a family growing up in the early 1900's in the country. It details how they go through many different obstacles and how their lives are effected.

This movie won an Oscar for "Best Cinematography" in 1994. This movie does impress you with spectacular scenery and landscapes but that's the least this movie has to offer.

Firstly, I do feel that this is a powerful story. It has a moving plot, several moving and emotional scenes, and great narration. It has the ability to move you. Although I feel that some scenes dragged on a bit too long, the movie was able to keep my attention for the most part. There were just a few scenes I grew bored in.

The acting is really hit or miss. I didn't think it was absolutely terrible but it didn't impress me all too much either. Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins were the only 2 actors who gave good performances in my opinion. The rest were either mediocre or bad performances. They weren't completely terrible like some low-budget movies but they just didn't impress me.

I mentioned that the movie has great narration. But while it does, it still has the tendency to get a little cheesy at times. It doesn't happen too often but when it does, I can't help but cringe.

So in conclusion, this is a pretty great movie. I appreciate it for what it is but like most movies, it's not without its flaws and it can get on your nerves too. However, I for one enjoyed this film. It was well-done and I felt a lot of emotions while watching it. I recommend it to other fans of the genre.
June 30, 2015
A realistic love story, about how life can make things very complicated.
June 15, 2015
Emotionally very powerful, mature film about relationships, love, loyalty and all the range of other things in the thing called life.
May 28, 2015
Impossibly Awrful! But, Great Cinematography and Film Score

This movie is so amazingly, impossibly melodramatic! It's just so over the top that you can't help yourself from laughing at a certain point. And, what is that point?

(SPOILERS) At this point, every tragedy imaginable has befallen this family. One after another, people die for the sake of dying, to create "drama!" But, when Anthony Hopkins emerges from his homestead, having had a stroke, with a Popeye-type squinched-down eye, and a small blackboard strung around his neck so he can communicate, I just laughed. I know that wasn't the intention of the filmmakers, but, how could you not? Add to that, the "Trials of Tristan," the Godlike son who endlessly goes through one soul-stirring crisis of the soul after another! Way, WAY too much! (END SPOILERS)

Basically, the whole movie is like "A River Runs Through It" - The Telenovela Version! All the great cinematography and setting, but impossibly heavy-handed "storytelling" in place of the great story of Redford's film.

And yet, I keep watching this stupid thing time and again for John Toll's gorgeous cinematography, and James Horner's great film score.

But, as a film, it's howlingly awful!
½ April 19, 2015
Tried for a sweeping epic family drama and got a watchable then forgettable family feud..
April 12, 2015
What an amazing movie! Every kind of emotion you can think of you will experience!