Sister

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Sister Reviews

Nicki M

November 10, 2013
Really well done movie. I wanted to feel sorry for the pair of them, but I just couldn't, they were too unlikeable with their actions. But then part of me understood why they were both like that.
Very subtle film that does challenge you a little.
Gillian Anderson is barely in it. Not sure why she has top billing. Her character is really nothing here and could easily have been omitted.
Very
Carlos M

April 19, 2012
Meier shows she can manage a sad subject with sensitivity, but it is Klein who completely shines as the adorable, charismatic young protagonist. However, the film doesn't seem to know how to end, and the two only English-speaking characters added to the story are superfluous.

June 29, 2014
At the tender age of 12, Simon(Kacey Mottet Klein) is the man of the house and has all the responsibilities that go along with it. That has a lot to do with his older sister Louise(Lea Seydoux) not being to hold down either a job or a boyfriend. So, Simon travels up to a nearby ski resort where he steals anything that is not nailed down which he sells later to support them. While there, he finds an unlikely business partner(Martin Compston) and meets a friendly tourist(Gillian Anderson).

Even without much of a story to speak of, "Sister" is still a harrowing tale of survival on the edge. As such, sometimes it is a little hard to watch but in the end is quite worthwhile. That is set around a classic separation of the classes who only rarely meet on personal terms. But in this fictional world, things are rather topsy turvy, encapsulated in the enigmatic final shot and symbolized by a huge plot twist 2/3 of the way through that while maybe a shock is actually not all that surprising.
Byron B

January 12, 2013
This was Switzerland's official submission for foreign language film at the 2013 Oscars. I saw it at our local Cinematheque prior to attending an Oscars party. Simon and Louise are trying to get by as best they can in their low rent apartment at the base of a mountain ski resort. It is hard to turn your eyes away from the acts of really desperate people, and they are surely not very virtuous. Still it is difficult to root for these two young antiheroes. The title is misleading and the incestuous moments will probably make many audience members squirm.
January 14, 2014
A haunting portrait of desperate souls that takes its ques from the French New Waves and lives up to its influences. Netflix streaming now.
January 5, 2013
Switzerland's entry for Best Foreign Language film (it will or won't be nominated come Thursday morning although it has already been announced as one of the Top 9 contenders by that organization) is about young Simon and his older sister who live in a housing complex at the base of a mountain housing a luxury ski resort/chalet. Simon (Kacey Mottet Klein) steals from the rich customers who have so much they are none the wiser and his sister Louise (Lea Seydoux) wanders aimlessly from man to man looking for a possible guy to take them both into his life. It is an honest, unflinching composite of poverty and survival and Mottet Klein does an outstanding job in his role as someone who takes chances because he has nothing (or everything) to lose. Seydoux again impresses (this time in an un-likeable role) as her Louise is one who needs to grow-up and learn a thing or two; but without knowing much of where these two came from we cannot fault either of them too much. Gillian Anderson (The X-Files, The House of Mirth) shows up in a few scenes as an English tourist Simon wishes to impress. We are all so quick to judge but oftentimes we know nothing of what we are talking about. Sister asks us to take a glimpse.
September 14, 2014
Excelente, un drama duro y muy bien logrado. La actuación de Kacey Mottet Klein es excelente logra transmitir la falta de cariño y el deseo de una familia de manera espectacular. Un guión muy bien estructurado y una fotografía de calidad.
Nathan S.
June 12, 2013
In the vein of Pialat, Malle, and the Dardenne brothers--Ursula Meier beautifully perfects the domestic drama, creating a high standard for future filmmakers as well as the current giants of cinematic realism.

9.1/10

June 29, 2014

March 18, 2014
muyyyy buena! gracias isat
February 15, 2014
This film executes a high performances and extreme replica of reality. A big round of applause.
March 31, 2013
L'enfant d'en haut is a desperately powerful film.With an amazing performance from young Kacey Mottet Klein,and an acute,realistic portraying of a tough role by Léa Seydoux.
October 9, 2012
An intense film about a young boy becoming the bread-winner of his family by stealing equipment at a ski resort.
January 25, 2013
A Dardenne-esque kind of movie, the leads are convincing unlike the English speaking actors, so unfortunate to see the waste of Gillian Anderson talent
January 7, 2013
Definitely one of the best foreign films of 2012, if not THE best. A pleasant surprise.
Michael H.
January 7, 2013
Ursula Meier's "Sister" fits neatly into the trend of grimly realistic social dramas coming out of the continent in the last 3 or 4 years. Telling the story of Simon, the intelligent, grew-up-too-fast, young thief and his irresponsible, easy, older sister Louise scraping through life in a miserable town at the foot of a Swiss ski resort it bears all the hallmarks of the modern, socially aware movie revealing the difficulties of the ignored and disenfranchised.

And it's not bad. The leading pair are engaging to watch and the script, while minamalist, does the job (though a few laughs here and there wouldn't have hurt). Some of the imagery works well - the lonely, silent cable car rides up and down the mountain really emphasising the gap that exists between the rich skiers and outcasts below.

The film does, however, fail to carve a unique space for itself among it's peers. The themes of a socially destructive, abandoned young boy and outcast pregnant teen were aptly covered by Luc and Jean Pierre Dardenne's "The Child" and "The Kid With A Bike" fairly recently, both better, more emotionally resonant films than this one. We are introduced to Simon in his thievery, any attempt at justification that he is stealing from rich people so it's ok failing to sink in my mind, leaving me to conclude that he's just a little shit to begin with. While I did eventually sympathise with him, it simply wasn't as powerfully as I was able to connect with the main characters from the Dardenne's films, though the crimes of their protagonists are often less forgiveable. Ultimately, this meant that the later scenes in "Sister" failed to have the punch required to serve as a climax.

The supporting cast is poorly utilised as well. The adoptive mother character (Gillian Anderson looking in her element) and the Scottish restaurant worker could both have been allowed greater impact but are instead left well on the periphery.

All in all, where this film could have succeeded, I feel others have already triumphed and this effort does too little to recommend itself to the memory.
vh
January 5, 2013
Twelve-year-old Simon and his big sister Louise live in an ugly apartment block near the base of a fancy Swiss ski resort. Each day, Simon heads up the mountain to steal everything he can get his little mitts on: skis, goggles, sunglasses, helmets, sandwiches, and yes, even mitts. Once he's lugged his loot back home, he sells it to the other kids in the neighborhood who all seem to have plenty of pocket cash despite lacking basic winter accessories like gloves.

Simon uses the money he makes to support himself and Louise. When he's not out hustling, he's home doing laundry or waxing the stolen skis. Louise, meanwhile, spends her time running off with a series of ne'er-do-well boyfriends and blowing through Simon's earnings. Still, Simon clearly loves her and appears both hurt and concerned each time she ends their brief interludes of family togetherness to take up with yet another creep.

"Sister" is not an easy film to watch. Despite his worldliness, Simon is a sad and lonely kid. During a couple of chance encounters with an attractive English woman (Gillian Anderson of the X-Files) who's there on a ski vacation with her two kids, Simon's longing to be part of her family is palpable.

It's also one of those movies with an abrupt, ambiguous ending, though I had actually thought it was about to end a few minutes earlier, so was thankful for at least a tiny bit more closure. I suppose after recently complaining that the apparently mandatory nature of happy endings in Hollywood movies removes any doubt as to where a story is headed, I should find it refreshing to be unclear on where a story is headed even after the movie is over, but I guess some people are just never happy.
December 31, 2012
Films of 2012: Sleep Tight, Sister, Pieta, End Of Watch, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spiderman, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Pitch Perfect, The Watch, Ruby Sparks, Your Sister's Sister, Django Unchained, Flight
December 3, 2012
Esto si que es una genialidad. De las mejores del año sin duda. Mi recimendacion del año se la doy a esta maravilla.