Les Diables

86% The Knick: Season 1

Les Diables Reviews

Vampire Reilly
August 4, 2010
This is French coming-of-age cinema at it's best!

This is a greatly emotional psychological drama about a two fraternal twins, Joseph and Chloe, who were abandon by their mother as babies. Chloe is autistic and cannot talk, freaks out when anyone, including Joseph, touches her and collects broken shards in a bag, but Joseph loves her a lot and he ran from various foster homes until they found one to take them both. He dreams of finding his parents again, all he has is a photo of the house and she makes mosaics of the house he speaks of. He believes that if she returns home she will be cured of her autism. So they run away together but are caught and sent to another home in which she is evaluated by a professional psychologist. Joseph slowly falls into mental decline after he is confronted with the truth not only of his parents and the house he dreams of but the truth of his sister's emotional complex.

After a few horrifyingly bad French art house movies, pointing the finger at Baise-moi and Anatomy of Hell this one proved to be a really good one. It's emotionally rich, intense, a great character study and a sweet coming-of-age story.

The acting is pretty good especially from the two kids in the leads, Adele Haene plays a convincing autistic girl and Vincent Rottiers plays a good angsty 12 year old boy.

It starts well and ends well and it engages you the whole way through, I was tired when watched it (it was like 12:30 at night) and I didn't even doze off.

I'm annoyed that this is so obscure, I'm giving it 4.5 stars and I recommend you try and find it