Les Miz movie, 2012

BREATHLESSLY AWAITING "LES MIZ" at the movies this Christmas. I've seen 2 road shows and have 2 different anniversary videos. But I think its success comes down to one song: "I Dreamed a Dream." If Anne Hathaway (who has a great voice) doesn't nail that song with the high points of the stage versions and Susan Boyle, I predict the movie will flop, regardless of its other fine points. Same for some very tough songs for Hugh Jackman. Not encouraged by the trailers.

"I Dreamed a Dream" is a showstopper that makes theater audiences rise to their feet for a standing ovation, and can do the same in a movie theater. The trailers don't show the soaring power of the song, but it's not too late for the producers to amp it up. Does Hugh Jackman have the octaves for "One Day More?" We'll see.
Skip Jordan
11-9-2012 02:53 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Observation 99

Observation 99

No matter how the movie turns out, I will always have zero respect for the type of summary line Todd McCarthy's review.

"Yes people LIKE it, but that doesn't mean it's GOOD... because I don't like it!"

Dec 6 - 07:38 PM

Austin Winkler

Austin Winkler

This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. One thing I've been curious about is if the movie will be any different from the stage production. Well, from the clips I've seen, the only real difference is the actor's and actress's voices aren't beautifully polished like they are in the stage production. It has some sort of downside, but I love it because it adds a sense of realism and a ton of emotion to the movie. Anne Hathaway is actually crying while singing "I Dreamed a Dream" and honestly, it made me want to cry along with her. I absolutely can't wait to see this movie!

Dec 6 - 12:32 PM

Peter Borg

Peter Borg

I saw a screening last night. I thought Ann Hathaway nailed it. You know they entire cast sang live on the set, and you can feel and hear her hurt.

Nov 28 - 04:55 PM

Ellison Horne

Ellison Horne

Yes indeed, in fact, Oscars to all! Such an amazing film experience of the human soul! ~ e

Dec 2 - 12:16 AM

dirtiusmaximus

Brent Webster

With all due respect to those who have played the part of Fantine on the stage and those who are disappointed that Hathaway's voice isn't as professional or refined, film and stage acting are different animals. Maybe Hathaway wouldn't be able to project the kind of volume to be impressive in a broadway theater where the voice is all-important. You don't get close-ups and you can't hear whispers from the stage. It makes for an interesting dynamic where even the scoundrels, the aged, the children, and even the down-on-their-luck whores with nothing left to give need to have great voices just to be heard and understood.

As much as I love the stage production (I've seen it numerous times), I don't want a movie Fantine to sound refined and perfect when she's despairing over her shattered life. I want to feel the despair and the longing for a life long gone being squeezed from every frame. I want it to sound raw. I want it to sound like she's hurting. Judging from the teaser trailer, that's exactly what Hathaway delivers.

Nov 28 - 02:03 PM

Ellison Horne

Ellison Horne

Indeed, Hathaway delivers in spades: Oscar! Hugh Jackmon: Oscar! Truly an astounding achievement in film! ~ e

Dec 2 - 12:14 AM

Diana Cox

Diana Cox

I agree with you - I don't want a pretty, polished, powerful Broadway experience. I want a raw, vulnerable Fantine who is emotionally drained and inconsolable. There is beauty in that, too.

Dec 2 - 02:53 PM

Jimmy Mura

Jimmy Mura

I absolutely love the way I've been hearing Anne Hathaway perform in this. However, I would like to say that she is able to fill and impress a large room with her vocal ability.

Dec 8 - 12:40 PM

Karen Fein

Karen Fein

My only hope is that this film version of a hit show will rise above the film version of Phantom.

Nov 27 - 07:55 PM

Ellison Horne

Ellison Horne

Yes indeed, this is WAY above what was done to Phantom! This is an amazing film experience! Hugh Jackmon is astounding as the lead in this masterpiece! I believe he tops the list of contenders for the Oscar...by far! ~ e

Dec 1 - 11:51 PM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

For anyone who's a fan of the musical, this will be something truly special. Am I the only one worried about Russel Crowe, though? I don't think he has a very 'Javert' voice. Not stately or intimidating enough in his delivery. Maybe it's just me, but he sounds like no Javert I've heard perform the part in the musical (and I've heard some pretty phenomenal renditions), nor does he sound like most people would agree Javert should sound. Thoughts?

Nov 26 - 11:56 AM

dirtiusmaximus

Brent Webster

I agree. I'm nervous about Crowe. Javert needs to be as strong as a character as Valjean himself.

Nov 28 - 01:50 PM

Ellison Horne

Ellison Horne

Being my introduction to Les Miserables, this film was astounding, and Russell Crowe was utterly amazing and powerful--having no other comparison. I feel he is most certainly in the running for an Oscar! In fact, Ocars for all the categories! Truly a monumental film experience! ~ e

Dec 1 - 11:57 PM

Amber O'Reilly

Amber O'Reilly

Predicting it's going to be extremely underwhelming for viewers. I've heard so many of my friends talking about how badly they want to see it, but as soon as I tell them that it is 100% singing, they say they want to pass. It's being too hyped up.

I'm probably going to cop a lot of flack for this, but everytime I hear people go on about Anne Hathaway's "incredible voice" and "Amazing Rendition", I just want to slap them in the face with a copy of one of the anniversary DVD's. Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean? He can't live up to someone like Alfie Boe.

Poor casting for what could have been an Oscar contender.

Nov 11 - 01:58 AM

Jamie White

Jamie White

Everybody on set indicates Hugh absolutely nailed the performance and Hooper himself has said if Jackman wasn't available, he wouldn't have made the movie. Boe is a great singer but he is not a film actor. This motion picture needed someone who could handle both stage and screen.

Nov 16 - 02:37 PM

Kent Straith

Kent Straith

Due respect to your friends, but if they've somehow made it this far in life without knowing that Les Miserables is 100% singing, they're not really the audience this production was hoping to attract. There's not a single night this show hasn't been in production somewhere for twenty seven years, and it's kinda famous.

Nov 25 - 06:56 AM

Ellison Horne

Ellison Horne

Yes indeed, Kent, Jackmon is headed for Oscar! It's truly one of the best, most powerful performances I've ever seen on film! ~ e

Dec 2 - 12:11 AM

Ellison Horne

Ellison Horne

Amber, good points and you might be right. However tonight was my introduction to Les Miserables, and I must say this film, even with all the singing, went far beyond any musical I've ever seen! Even for people who don't care for musicals, this is the one to see! I spoke with two teens who were at the screening and they both said they can't wait to tell their friends to see it. I believe the acting alone is so powerful, by all, it overrides any preconceptions and will bring people, from teens on up, back to see it again. And I'm a hard sell on musicals! ~ e

Dec 2 - 12:06 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile