First lukewarm Hobbit reviews and now Les Mis

The heavens must just be angry at me aren't they? My two most anticipated movies aren't looking so well right now...
All-Knowing Panda
12-10-2012 07:56 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Brendon Porter

Brendon Porter

Easy answer. The powers that be want Lincoln to win. American patriotism trumps all.

Jan 12 - 01:03 AM

Noah Lister-Stevens

Noah Lister-Stevens

Here's the difference: The Hobbit was fun, amusing, gripping and engaging. Peter Jackson made the whole movie an awesome experience that I thoroughly enjoyed sitting through: more so then any of the Lord of the Rings.

This film was a mockery and butchery of the novel. I posted a long list of criticisms in another thread, but the biggest problem is that the music simply does not fit the film. Javert throws himself into the Seine while singing to relatively happy music. Even 'I Dreamed a Dream' is happy-sounding. This whole movie was a total dumpster fire.

Jan 9 - 07:05 PM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Happy-sounding music? You obviously have no clue what you're even talking about.

Jan 10 - 07:53 PM

Tim de Wit

Tim de Wit

Funny, I considered The Hobbit to be an utter butchery of the original story.

I haven't seen this film yet, but isn't it supposed to be a adaptation of the musical, rather than the book (though that obviously means that many of the elements from the book are/should be present).

Jan 11 - 08:13 AM

Jamie White

Jamie White

four out of five from Vancouver Sun http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Review+Miserables+saved+from+sinking+Hugh+Jackman/7728886/story.html Getting really tired of the the negative crap for a wonderful movie.

Dec 20 - 04:37 PM

Jamie White

Jamie White

Another 3 1/2 star review from Mark Keizer at Boxoffice.com Balanced and well written http://www.boxoffice.com/reviews/2012-12-les-miserables-2012

Dec 20 - 05:04 AM

Clinton Umbarger

Clinton Umbarger

have to hate it when critics turn into shock jockeys. we do not want your clever quips about movies we want a critical intelligent point of view. i would watch televised news if i wanted anything else.

Dec 19 - 11:24 PM

Bob Parr

Bob Parr

The problem with the 'top critics' is that they are jaded. Seen too many pictures to understand that all the public want is entertainment.

Dec 15 - 03:54 PM

Dingbat Charlie

Dingbat Charlie

Roeper can usually be included in that and he loves this movie.

Dec 19 - 11:20 PM

Jamie White

Jamie White

The review from IGN is the first review I've read that really gives movie goers a fair and honest view of the film with both pluses and minuses. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/11/les-miserables-review

Dec 13 - 03:33 PM

Collin Moore

Collin Moore

I don't think we should worry too much. The film doesn't get released for another 12 days, so it's still very early to judge. These are just early reviews from private critic screenings; when it actually gets released and more critics see the film, i'm sure the score is going to shoot like a rocket. Besides, critic reviews are just personal opinions from professional writers. Just because some say it's bad, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it on our own level.

Dec 13 - 08:08 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

-- And as Jackson pointed out, no reason why the critics should stop you from going out and enjoying the film yourself. Not every movie needs to be perfect, which I guess is the point (if they all were, then none would be ..... O_o).

Dec 12 - 01:52 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

I guess it's just kind of bad luck Les Mis and The Hobbit didn't show up as people hoped critically. On a brighter note, Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty are getting great reviews (especially the latter).

Dec 12 - 01:50 PM

Jackson H.

Jackson Hoult

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A lot of critics have disliked both of these movies for pretty shallow reasons; i.e run time, and comparing them to other adaptations or related films. It comes down to personal opinion.

Dec 11 - 12:15 AM

Matt Orell

Matt Orell

Yeah, I mean the Time Magazine review, which just came in, is clearly written from a bias.

Dec 11 - 12:09 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Are you guys trolling? The point of a critical review is to have a bias on the movie. lol.

Dec 12 - 01:48 PM

Vincent Cariello

Vincent Cariello

Actually no. A review for anything, whether game, movie or TV show, needs to be from an UNBIASED stand point. Or we are getting a review from what the person thinks the movie should be, or his personal opinion on how he/she wants a movie to be. If that was the case, I would never put me merit in reviews.

Dec 13 - 11:27 AM

Matt Orell

Matt Orell

I assure you, I am not trolling.

Dec 12 - 03:11 PM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

Didn't critics dislike the musical when it first appeared?

Dec 14 - 08:16 AM

Matt Orell

Matt Orell

Indeed they did Katie. In fact, Cameron Mackintosh, who produced the show as well as the film, was considering closing the show once its initial engagement at the Barbican was up because of the bad reviews. And so he called up the box office the next day to find out how badly the reviews had affected ticket sales. The guy asked him, "How did you get through? The phone hasn't stopped ringing." And the rest is history.

Dec 14 - 08:27 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile