Russell Crowe

Ok, I KNOW I haven't seen the movie yet, and the only examples I've seen are from short clips, but... am I the only one who thinks Crowe's singing is unforgivably bad? At least from what we've seen? And while it's true that the singing IS different from what we're used to, I don't mind Hugh Jackman or Anne Hathaway in their clips. It actually kind of seems like Russell Crowe is singing like he's on stage (lyrically, focusing more on the melody and line than the others) and he's just not doing it right. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me he just seems terrible in the part.
Noah Abraham G.
12-15-2012 11:41 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Karen Triezenberg

Karen Triezenberg

Just saw this one on HBO. Thought that singing was, in general, weak EXCEPT for Aaron Tveit as Enjolras. WHY wasn't this guy cast in the larger role as Marius? He's a far better actor and singer than that other guy (and is much better looking and less annoying).

Sep 6 - 08:21 AM

Erin Lindsay

Erin Lindsay

I completely agree but he was excellent as Enjolras. Samantha Barks was spot on as Eponine though. I guess it helps she's played her on stage too.

Sep 8 - 07:30 PM

Arthur Roth

Arthur Roth

After hearing the bad reviews of Crowe, I think he was one of the best of the cast once I saw it.

Jun 22 - 03:05 AM

Maria Carrera

Maria Carrera

Just saw it and i am a renewed fan of Russell Crowe

Sep 1 - 07:47 PM

Danny Peltier

Danny Peltier

When the academy said Gladiator was a great movie I said "What that's crazy." When I heard Crowe sing I said the same.

Apr 21 - 04:58 PM

Karen Cullen

Karen Cullen

Yes he's truly awful, but so is the rest of the cast. Jackman's voice starts grating on the ears after the first ten minutes, which is really unfortunate, since he literally sings almost CONSTANTLY through the long, LONG movie. Amanda Sayfried sounds like Alvin of Chipmunk fame.

Mar 30 - 02:38 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

You shitting me, Seyfried's voice was the most majestic and exquisite out of all of them, Chipmunk voice? You're kidding...

Jul 28 - 06:30 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

I suppose since I started all of this, I should say what I thought of him- I saw this film opening day. Russell Crowe was awful. I honestly have no idea how anyone can think his performance is good unless they want to love the movie SO MUCH that they can't bear to find anything bad with it.

Also, if anyone says "Crowe is brilliant because he makes us hate Javert", you clearly don't understand Les Mis. We're not SUPPOSED to hate Javert. He's a heroic antagonist, not a villain. We're supposed to sympathize with Javert and feel bad when he dies, not cheer because the performance is over.

Also- his back cracking is without a doubt the worst thing ever.

Mar 24 - 10:53 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

LMAO his performance was quite solid, perhaps you were watching him in Body of Lies or Broken City, he's not quite good in THOSE films.

Jul 28 - 06:31 PM

Jared Armijo

Jared Armijo

This is just my opinion, but I felt like Russel Crowe was seriously miscast as Javert. Not only is his singing not up to par, but he didn't seem to have the effort, passion, or desire to play a complex role like Javert. This is one of those roles where I can see more someone like Gerard Butler playing him (granted his signing isn't perfect either, but I feel like Butler would've at least given more visible effort).

Mar 20 - 05:03 PM

Stephanie Michaud

Stephanie Michaud

I agree. I loved Butler as the Phantom, Crowe I just couldn't stomach.at. all. In fact, that was just one of the reasons I didn't like the film.

Mar 30 - 03:07 AM

Nikki Szweras

Nikki Szweras

Hey, you can't blame them for casting him in the movie. He certainly is a likeable actor! Don't get me wrong tough; he was pretty bad-- not just bad... brutal.

Mar 13 - 02:58 PM

Maria Yovita

Maria Yovita

I've seen the movie. The movie is awful and Russell Crowe too.

Feb 25 - 10:40 AM

Art Salmons

Art Salmons

Sorry. We can't all make 5 star classics like "Sister Act".

Mar 22 - 01:53 AM

Danny Peltier

Danny Peltier

I'd rather watch paint dry than this garbage!

Apr 21 - 04:55 PM

Catherine Campbell

Catherine Campbell

I agree that Crowe's singing was not the best, but I liked it that way. As an avid lover of music, if someone has an amazing voice, I automatically have a connection with them. Since Crowe's voice was mediocre at best, I had no connection with his character and, dare I say it, kind of happy when he went over the bridge.
This is also kind of bad, but as soon as I saw him I automatically thought South Park and Fightin' Round the World.

Feb 22 - 08:16 PM

Peter Salzer

Peter Salzer

Russell Crowe was no worse than the rest in singing and wooden acting, the awful script, lyrics (dreadful rhymes) in this syrupy sentimental mangling of Victor Hugo's great novel. Helen Bohnam Carter was the acting exception (and Sacha Cohen) - oh why did she debase herself to become a part of this mess of potage?

Jan 29 - 03:18 PM

Jessica Giordano

Jessica Giordano

I personally didn't like Russell Crowe, and I don't think his singing was awful. It was the acting that I really couldn't stand. I felt like he was barely giving any effort. I almost always cry when Javert dies in the stage version, but when Russell Crowe died I felt nothing.

Jan 29 - 09:42 AM

Chris King

Chris King

Russell played Javert as a man risen out of tormented oppression by his sense of duty to the law. Jean Valjean flaws Javerts character by his experience of injustice and the size of Jeans compassion and rise to nobility.The flawed, submissive character of Javert divided between his previous tormented life and current duty is the acting we suppose to be watching and I think russell did this superbly. I wasnt expecting a operatic performnce, and I loved this film.

Jan 29 - 04:39 AM

Declan K.

Declan Keane

I think Crowe is brilliant in the film, my favorite actor by far and also the most interesting character in Les Miserables. He's singing was perfect?? I cant pick out one example where his singing isnt up to scratch. Here's my question though, for all you haters, who would you cast in the film version instead of him???

Jan 27 - 08:35 AM

Tim de Wit

Tim de Wit

Crowe was definitely not the best choice for Javert. Far from it. However, I didn't think he was that horrible, to be honest. He did an okay job in portraying a character whom he doesn't even resemble in the slightest, and his singing voice was actually not as bad as most people here seem to think (he didn't 'murder' Stars, in my opinion). And besides, I didn't go to this film to hear pretty voices. I came for the performances and the cinematography supporting those performances. As far as I'm concerned, these aspects of the film were excellently handled, including Crowe's scenes.

Jan 27 - 01:26 AM

Sebastian Cruz

Sebastian Cruz

Javert and Jean Valjean keep the story rolling. Sorry but Hugh and Russel weren't at the same level on this one.

And yes, he murdered Stars - that's unforgivable.

Jan 18 - 09:56 PM

cherie t.

cherie tree

yup your wrong, russell crowe has a very different voice from the others, and if im honest that is the reason he became my favourite character. i started thinking his voice was slightly weaker than the others but by the end he became my favourite singer because it was so different from what i expected. trust me once you see the movie you'll change your mind :)

Jan 16 - 04:21 AM

Sandra Williams

Sandra Williams

Noah - you're wrong. Go and see it!

Jan 16 - 02:39 AM

David Bevan

David Bevan

He's awful - just awful. What a shame! How can anyone sing Stars so badly? And the lack of any display of the internal conflict in the suicide sequence coupled with the really odd direction (and his inability to hold a note) was criminal. Loved the rest of the film except for Baron Cohen and Bonham Carter who were also plain poor.

Jan 14 - 04:10 AM

cherie t.

cherie tree

i disagree, i was laughing mu butt off at baron cohen and bonham carter they gave it some amusment

Jan 16 - 04:24 AM

Rafael Mendoza Saguilan

Rafael Mendoza Saguilan

It is the weak link... but is not so bad...

Jan 14 - 01:50 AM

Gibberish

Henry Dewar

I'm trying to work out how the actor who gave us The Insider and A Beautiful Mind could deliver one of the most wooden performances I can remember. I can only think that Russell and Tom Hooper thought of Javert as a man of absolute rigidity which translated into an absence of facial expression and a vocal presentation totally devoid of any dynamics. Truly horrible...

Jan 13 - 09:52 PM

April Fennimore Capozzoli

oh god he cant sing to save his life. the movie and everyone in it was spectacular but russell, ugh, so miscast not even funny

Jan 12 - 04:16 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

the man is good, no hate

Jan 12 - 02:06 PM

Mark Knapper

Mark Knapper

I actually thought that, overall, Russell Crowe was good BUT he ruined Stars - one of the great songs of musical theatre - and I think probably lacked some of the menace of Philip Quast on stage.

Jan 12 - 05:42 AM

David Bevan

David Bevan

Hi Mark -long time no see - hate to disagree but he was terrible. Sounded like he had severe asthma and failed at every point o assert the seemingly unbreakable authority of the law he sought to embody. Mind you, directing him to place his medal on Gavroche's chest was inexplicable given the film's laudable adherence to detail from the novel (which is just brilliant!!! You must read it if you haven't already).

Jan 14 - 04:08 AM

MasonandHelena Mortimer

MasonandHelena Mortimer

Man, I TOTALLY agree about the asthma. I was like "Breathe, man, BREATHE!!!"

Jan 14 - 09:23 PM

Gilbert Martinelli

Gilbert Martinelli

He was not directed to do that, that was an ad-lib the director decided to keep.

Mar 5 - 10:11 AM

Matt Easom

Matt Easom

Ah, after reading through more of the comments, I understand. Only the truly, truly hardcore seem to comment on stuff like this, similar to the gentleman who really and truly is driven insane by watching what should be a 720P film material on a 1080i T.V. set. For you people, I have absolutely no doubt that this movie was an affront to God. And there's nothing wrong with that opinion. For the average guy on the street(at least the type inclined to enjoy a musical film), it was outstanding. Carry on.

Jan 9 - 05:25 AM

Matt Easom

Matt Easom

I enjoyed Crowe's singing. People are such critics.

Jan 9 - 05:19 AM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

On a site dedicated to film criticism? Shocking.

Mar 24 - 10:49 AM

Mecker Möller

Mecker Möller

you are right. Crowe's singing made me wish Javert will jump off the bridge in the opening of the movie, instead of enduring such pain to my ears for almost two hours

Jan 8 - 09:43 AM

Elyse Logan

Elyse Logan

When he actually did jump I was like "THANK GOD!" It was topped off by just how gruesome the death was. BAM!

Jan 12 - 09:15 AM

im right there with ya, i was the only one in the theater that clapped with that nose dive. whoooo!

Jan 12 - 04:17 PM

Sandy Wolf

Sandy Wolf

I think the reason Crowe provokes such dislike in the film is that Javert is the villain--a self righteous prig. Crowe makes us hate him, which works.

Jan 5 - 07:38 PM

dramasills

Jackie Wolter

WHAT!!! - Javert is one of my favorite characters in all musical theatre - Russel Crowe is terrible - In the musical you feel bad for Javert because he is so relentless in his pursuit of "the law" that you feel for him. If you listen to any real broadway version of stars and can still say the same I will be amazed. Watch Phillip Quast and then you will know a real Javert -

Jan 7 - 09:14 PM

cherie t.

cherie tree

actually i have seen les miz in broadway and i have to say, russell crowe wasnt that bad, he was different from the other javerts and he tried to do it in his own way, if im honest i quiet enjoyed his version

Jan 16 - 04:27 AM

David Sieczkowski

David Sieczkowski

When Russel comes in at 1:50 minutes or so during "One Day More" it actually makes the song great.. Takes a bit to get used to but honestly his presence as an actor is quite frankly what makes people see movies he's in (notice how everyone seems to be talking about him on every forum discussion)

Feb 24 - 02:25 AM

Caroline Bell

Caroline Bell

Russell Crowe would have been a better Jean Valjean, while Hugh Jackman would have been a better Javert. Neither of them are perfect for any role in this film (or in the stage production). This movie would have been a lot better with different casting, and not as much messing around with the lyrics of the song. Maybe I'm just a Les Mis purist, but the changes in the lyrics were pointless and unnecessary. The only people who really did a great job in this movie were Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried, and Samantha Barks.

Jan 5 - 06:16 PM

Bobby Luke

Bobby Luke

I actually really liked Crowe in this movie, which is strange because I usually do not. No he wasn't a screaming Adolf Hitler, soaked from head to toe with rage. He was a flawed individual clinging to all that he knew - justice. I thought the way he acted and portrayed Javert brought new DEPTH to the character that I had never seen before. If you wanted someone who would get up there and scream and shout and bump his chest - I am sure someone like VIN Diesel would have been up to the task. So give the guy a break, his role could have been MUCH worse.

Jan 5 - 12:43 AM

Marilyn Arabella

Marilyn Arabella

Crowe would be a welcome member of any local church choir.

Jan 4 - 07:35 PM

Gailann Chadwick

Gailann Chadwick

I just saw the movie, I have seen the stage production at least Five times. I actually enjoyed Russell Crowe as Javert. While not a perfect voice, I did find him moving. Especially in his last song before killing himself. In other productions I had not understood that Javert had been born in a jail. No wonder he was so tormented and black and white in his thinking.

Jan 4 - 02:39 PM

Laurie Klemme

Laurie Klemme

Crowe is a leading man, the gladiator, the brilliant (if crazy) mathematician---not a vulnerable order-taker who identifies with power that isn't his, only to be destroyed by the loss of its certain moral rectitude. Even so, Crowe's Javert is such an obedient soldier, so strssed by inner conflict, so vulnerable, you have to forgive him for borrowing Crowe's body.

Jan 4 - 10:04 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

He's also is a Roman general and emperor (for about 1 minute after he killed commodus, then died)

Jan 5 - 06:13 AM

Sam Seleznow

Sam Seleznow

Most people will criticize Crowe for his singing in this performance when it was really the acting that killed him. It ALWAYS is the acting. If he chose to put at least SOME passion or anger into his performance, I guarentee you the vocals would've been better.

Jan 3 - 02:42 PM

Sam Seleznow

Sam Seleznow

The fact that Crowe insisted on having a monotonous singing voice is what made his performance fail terribly. I woould've rather seen him scream and yell most of his musical lines with some conviction than give me the lackluster performance matched by the dull vocals that he gave me. In my opinion, Hugh Jackman would've been better suited as Javert, which means they would've had to find someone completely different for Jean Valjean, thus leaving Crowe completely out of the picture.

Jan 3 - 02:40 PM

Edward Batchelder

Edward Batchelder

Bad call casting Crowe. Javert's character is supposed to powerful and menacing.. Crowe can play that in a non-musical format very easily which is why he was cast... But his only singing experience is when he moonlights in a Garage band. His vocal talents are limited to rock... certainly not broadway. He would have been better cast in Rock of Ages versus this. Because Crowe's voice is limited, Javert's character never really rivaled any of the stage versions Ive seen.. Not even close and that's too bad. They needed a stronger singer to play Javert, no doubt.

Jan 3 - 06:17 AM

Laura Greene

Laura Greene

If you want to compare new musical actors...Crowe was a HELL of a lot better than Pierce Brosnan.

Jan 2 - 06:19 PM

Bobby Luke

Bobby Luke

Indeed.

Jan 5 - 12:38 AM

David Zaintz

David Zaintz

Ain't THAT the truth!!!

Jan 5 - 01:01 PM

dramasills

Jackie Wolter

Mamma Mia is a Fluff musical - Russel Crowe ruined Javert RUINED

Jan 7 - 09:17 PM

Matt Easom

Matt Easom

No, he didn't. He wasn't, however, Phillip Quast. And that seems to doom him in the eye of some.

Jan 9 - 05:21 AM

truth

Jan 12 - 04:16 PM

This comment has been removed.

Sam Seleznow

Sam Seleznow

Oh really?

Jan 3 - 02:44 PM

Matt Easom

Matt Easom

I thought Eponine was the best singer, but Crowe was very good as well. Absolutely I did. Very enjoyable.

Jan 9 - 05:22 AM

Aubree Kloes

Aubree Kloes

It's.... Ohhh. When you do see the movie, just set your bar low for Crowe, and you'll be pleasantly surprised... Set your bar too high, and you may walk out. He's very awkward up until One Day More... Actually, he's awkward in One Day More, too, but he seems to be more, I don't know... awake after that scene? Stars was bad... Javerts Suicide was a pleasant surprise to me. (I swear, if anyone calls "spoilers" on that. Don't you even, that's just something you should KNOW.)

Now, I think the problem is simply... This isn't his style, this isn't his range... And he cannot sing and act at the same time. It's a shame... His moments of silence, and bits where he deviates from the music, are his best acted scenes. He was, really, miscast. I believe he tried the best he could, and he had a few perfect moments, but overall bombed. As others have said, he probably could have been a good Javert in an adaption of the novel... but not in the musical.

Jan 2 - 11:20 AM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

I think I would have liked him more if I didn't go in with high expectations for this acting. I'm going to try to keep an open mind, though.

Jan 2 - 12:37 PM

Kevin Hunt

Kevin Hunt

I thought Crowe was fantastic. No, he's not Phillip Quast or Norm Lewis, but his singing is good, and his acting gave me a whole new understanding of the character.

Jan 2 - 01:15 AM

Paul Herscheit

Paul Herscheit

I agree.

Mar 28 - 03:39 PM

Matthew Newman

Matthew Newman

his singing was a little sub-par but not awful, he would be perfect in an adaption of the novel though

Jan 1 - 11:51 PM

Kat Lee

Kat Lee

I just came from the movie. I had heard the same thing, however don't be fooled. He sings beautifully and perfectly for the role. He dosn't play a bombastic personality, but a emotionally damaged and buttoned up personality.....He hits the perfect notes in song and presentation. Great movie.....

Dec 31 - 04:53 PM

Patrick Sullivan

Patrick Sullivan

I agree Kat. Crowe's Javert is determined and neurotic in a sort of exacting way. Depicted as an obsessive, and stalwart man but also as though he's hiding some great wound behind his immaculate uniform. This hidden wound is at the center of his torturous pursuit of Valjean. Crowe sings his lines very soulfully, and reflectively, instead of with bombastic anger, or self righteous shouting. Crowe's voice always searches for the strength to capture Valjean and end his own mental anguish. I really enjoyed this movie's interpretation.

Jan 3 - 10:25 AM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

Seriously though, I find myself bewildered. I know the man can sing and I know he is a good actor. So I cannot figure out for the life of me why he fails so miserably at both.

Dec 31 - 08:32 AM

Joe Pruden

Joe Pruden

Russell Crowe was the wrong actor for Inspector Javert. Not nearly enouph emotion.. I want to see more anger. Comon Crowe.... No ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?! this time round, you can do better

Dec 30 - 01:12 PM

Eamon Anderson

Eamon Anderson

Read the book, it is not an angry character. Javert is a man who is psychologically painted into a very small corner that does not allow himself any room to wiggle on the cause of crime.

Jan 10 - 07:29 PM

Celeste Mann

Celeste Mann

Mr. Crowe was miscast--as a singer and actor, but mostly as a singer. He's already proven he has acting chops in other films. There are many actors who can sing better (and would be cheaper). Not all the actors in the film had the greatest singing voices but Crowe stuck out as unqualified. For an actor of his stature and experience, that only happens when they are miscast.

Dec 28 - 08:27 PM

Mecker Möller

Mecker Möller

agree. bad casting. his singing was atrocious and i think he had to concentrate too much on his singing, that distracted him from acting well.

Jan 8 - 09:45 AM

Nicholas Mcgettrick

Nicholas Mcgettrick

Well, since Russell Crowe actually has a band, I did expect him to be able to sing. And he could. As far as how he played the character, I thought he created a mildly interesting portrait. Me not being familiar with any other incarnations of Javert, I enjoyed it.

Dec 28 - 02:27 PM

Anna Cocuzzo

Anna Cocuzzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnAhVVPUdGU
Crowe purposefully played a completely different Javert than the stage version. Personally he was my favorite actor and character.

Dec 28 - 09:48 AM

Beaugard Stevens

Beaugard Stevens

Not once in the interview when he talks about doing "research" and flying to Paris to visit Hugo's house does he mention he took the time to read the book, which since he says he didn't understand the character, I would think that would be the next thing to do. He seems to have had plenty of time for karaoke parties on Friday with cast, how about just reading the damn book? It's shocking that he says at his initial meeting, he was negative about the role and they still pursued him. Of course, he didn't understand the role, that's exactly what it looks like every second on the screen, someone who has no idea what he is doing. Just tragic, the role is pivotal because the relationship between him and Jean Valjean drives the entire plot, and besides not being able to sing, he doesn't even seem to "get" the character. He RUINED this movie.

Dec 28 - 02:15 PM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

So................who should have played Javert?

Dec 28 - 05:59 AM

Jay Colgan

Jay Colgan

Gerard Butler. He played the Phantom in the movie version of Phantom of the Opera and was able to show a wide range of emotion in the role. Obviously a lot of people didn't like him in that role in comparison to Michael Crawford and many other Phantoms, but he got the job done without sounding like the monotone and boring Russell Crowe in Les Miserables.

Dec 28 - 08:59 PM

Jesse Rolufs

Jesse Rolufs

Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera was pitch-corrected and his singing voice was still very bad.

Dec 29 - 12:05 PM

Stephanie Michaud

Stephanie Michaud

Loved Butler as the Phantom. Voice was more coarse and not polished, but I loved that.

Mar 30 - 03:11 AM

Marc Love

Marc Love

He was awful. He was on key and that's about all you can say about him. No power. No authority. A very pedestrian singing voice. And his acting wasn't even that good. I don't know what they were thinking casting him.

Dec 28 - 01:30 AM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

Amen!

Dec 28 - 05:50 AM

Sam Seleznow

Sam Seleznow

THANK YOU

Jan 3 - 02:45 PM

Katrina Nikoloski

Katrina Nikoloski

Loved your work Rusty. I immediately thought Romper Stomper when you went splat! That's a sound I will never forget!

Dec 28 - 12:36 AM

Anonymous #.

Anonymous #1

i was suprised at first, i had no idea he even could sing. he actually played a very good Javert!

Dec 27 - 06:15 PM

Yune Kwon

Yune Kwon

It's not exactly terrible or anything... it could use some work, though. It is scary in the beginning, but you get used to it soon.

Dec 26 - 11:42 PM

Bob Lang

Bob Lang

I think that playing the role as "stiff" and trying to achieve perfection actually encompasses exactly the character Crowe is playing in this movie. To have "relaxed" would actually have taken him out of the character of Javert completely. Being "relaxed" is not how to capture Javert. I think Crowe did admirably, even if his wasn't the best performance.

Dec 26 - 08:09 PM

Stephanie Sabatelli

Stephanie Sabatelli

I agree with this. Crowe was supposed to be uptight, rigid, and not willing to let down his guard. I though when he sang angry and gruff he was much more "in character" than when he tried to sound like a Broadway singer. That's when it didn't work.

Dec 29 - 01:25 PM

Jilly Bear

Jilly Bear

I have seen the show live three times (it is my favourite musical), I also have the live 25th edition DVD and the soundtrack which I know word for word. I could not agree with you more Noah, Russell Crowe was not at all a good choice for Javert. As my mom aptly put it, he looks like a 'cuddly grandpa', not an angry vengeful inspector. Further, his voice was not at all suited to such an important role.

Dec 26 - 08:03 PM

S.k. Gray

S.k. Gray

I've seen many stage versions,non-musical films of Les Miserables and eagerly went on Christmas morning to see this new adaptation and yes, Noah, I think you are wrong :) For someone who, "I know" hasn't seen the movie yet, I have to gently disagree with your clip-based opinion. Russell Crowe's portrayal in this film was rivoting as Javert. Crowe acts so much with his eyes, the close-ups and live singing simply magnified the rules-driven no shades of gray menace of Javert who is then torn with agonizing inner conflict. I've known his singing voice for years and wasn't expecting a polished flawless operatic offering. I expected craggy, intense and raw. He did himself proud.

Dec 26 - 07:40 PM

Carol Duermit

Carol Duermit

Totally agree. He had some beautiful nuance moments in spots too. I loved him.

Dec 26 - 07:52 PM

Beaugard Stevens

Beaugard Stevens

Did we watch the same movie?

Dec 27 - 01:22 PM

Anna-Marie McLeod

Anna-Marie McLeod

Yeah, is there an alternative universe in which Crowe did jot sound like he was not sitting in the bathroom for hours painfully unproductive or at best did not sound like the son of a Wookie and a human being? I hate to be negative, so on a positive note, Hugh Jackman powerfully carried this movie and di great justice to Les Miz and Colm. It was a treat to see Colm in this movie. Amanda as Cossette made it sound like some bird had gotten into the movie theatre, but she did us right by hitting her highest required note. The horrible "crunch!" during Javert's suicide- was that to compensate the audience? Still enjoyed it.

Jan 12 - 05:53 AM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

Indeed, he acted with his eyes. The rest of him was dead.

Dec 28 - 05:51 AM

Bob M.

Bob Mahlstedt

OMG... "rivoting" ??? LOL Have you read the book or seen Geoffrey Rush playing this role? Russell looked like he just jumped ship from "Master and Commander." Poor casting...but he didn't ruin the movie as much as Sacha...ugh!

Dec 28 - 06:23 PM

Stephanie Sabatelli

Stephanie Sabatelli

I completely agree...was his singing the best? No. But his portrayal was intense and really fleshed out. He gave me a perspective of Javert that I hadn't seen before.

Dec 29 - 01:27 PM

Marsha Lipps

Marsha Lipps

As a Les Miseraholic... who has seen the stage presentation many times- I give Russell a musical pass in this- In a stage production, you need to connect from a distance to the character. On the large screen- you need an actor who is right in your face. I'd say dont be so hard on him!

Dec 26 - 02:48 PM

Lolly Pitts

Lolly Pitts

Hmmm, did you expect a broadway rendition of Javert's part? He's an everyman character. The acting carried the singing for Mr. Crowe. His voice is fine for the part.

Dec 26 - 02:46 PM

Lalida Benjanak

Lalida Benjanak

I thought Crowe's singing was the worst. It's like he can't get enough air in his lungs to belt it out which Javert's songs require. Jackman sung well, however, I would have preferred someone with a lower tone. Most everyone else, I think did rather well esp. the people who have played on the stage before (the priest and Eponine, were mesmerizing).

Dec 26 - 01:40 PM

Jay Pangilinan

Jay Pangilinan

they priest is the Original Valjean!. :)

Dec 27 - 08:23 AM

Tina Grieco

Tina Grieco

I loved that they did that. I little gift for die hard les Mis fans.

Dec 29 - 02:20 PM

Natalie S.

Natalie Smith

I am also a super Russell Crowe fan, but I must admit that the role was lost on him. It just did not look like he was even trying. Mr. Crowe turned what was normally a co-lead actor performance into a supporting role. At best, he was good. What saved the movie for me was that the other actors were great. Too bad Gerard Butler was not available. At least we know Mr. Butler can carry a tune--and he couldn't make it worse.

Dec 26 - 12:38 PM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

Oh kudos, Natalie! Indeed, Gerard Butler would have been a fine choice.

Dec 28 - 05:52 AM

Stephanie Sabatelli

Stephanie Sabatelli

You know Gerard Butler can't really sing that well and was auto tuned for Phantom right?

Dec 29 - 01:28 PM

dirtiusmaximus

Brent Webster

As I had feared, Crowe was badly miscast. He seemed lost in the film, standing there singing his lines with barely any enthusiasm or personality, with his arms down at his sides the whole time. Oddly, his best moments were the ones I was most worried about, but he wasn't great by any means. Where the others were emoting and digging into their characters, he didn't so much as furrow a brow.

Dec 26 - 10:53 AM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

A hole in one, Brent! Beautifully stated!

Dec 28 - 05:53 AM

James Lee

James Lee

Noah,
I saw the movie last night and you are right. Crowe was miscast. His acting (actually, more like presence) is fine but his singing (too thin) just doesnt fit the character Javert. Despite this, the rest of the cast's singing is good and I found the movie to be great!. Go see it.

Dec 26 - 09:56 AM

Jamie White

Jamie White

He isn't Philip Quast and he shouldn't have tried for that. I agree that he needed to relax more and just act. Film is different from stage. By being willing to no be perfect Jackman and Hathaway brought the characters to life in a glorious way while Crowe felt stiff. He was still good in the role, just not perfect. absolutely loved the film with the only complaint that it feels rushed if you don't know the story well but what would the public do with a four hour movie.

Dec 26 - 05:01 AM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

I think you hit the nail on the head. In trying do hard to sing perfectly be failed (he didn't have the singing ability of say, Quast) and all that happened was he tried so hard to sing it ruined his acting!

Dec 26 - 07:29 AM

Stephanie Sabatelli

Stephanie Sabatelli

I agree..when he tried to sing perfect, he failed. When he sang angry and intense and not trying to be a Broadway singer, he succeeded.

Dec 29 - 01:29 PM

Lacey Jackson

Lacey Jackson

I actually thought he had a good, clear voice, but I think he was trying to hard to sound perfect, while the other major performers were willing to sound more raw. I wish he would have let his guard down a little bit and allow himself to really act the part.

Dec 26 - 02:54 AM

Deirdre Fitzpatrick

Deirdre Fitzpatrick

I adore Mr. Crowe but the part was beyond him. I have seen the play 5 times in London, Germany, and the USA and have seen stage actors crush in the role. I am sad this day to have seen Russell wane.

Dec 26 - 02:31 AM

John Smith

John Smith

Such a fine actor, such a disaster performance. Forget the fact he could not sing, the far larger sin was that he couldn't ACT the role! I could hardly believe my eyes and ears. Why the hell did you do it Russell? And who was minding your back who didn't bother to tell you to run away before the fantasy went too far? It reminded me so much of the farce of Mama Mia as Pierce Brosnan pretended he could sing and in the process screwed up all of the images you ever had of his acting performances. Is it the money, the ego or just a Hollywood vision of fooling all of the people all of the time?

Dec 26 - 02:22 AM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

Saw the movie, and I must admit, Crowe really did suck. Aside from a few scenes, his singing was just off. I think it's really Tom Hooper's fault, however, because he's the one who cast him. Crowe tried, he just wasn't right for the role.

Also, can we all agree that how Hooper handled his final scene was INEXCUSABLE?

Dec 26 - 12:48 AM

jacobd810

Jacob Dierdorff

I was not a fan of the lyric changes that were made, and that Eponine was left out. She was one of the best singers in the entire cast. I also think that they should have brought Fantine back with her long hair instead of keeping her short hair in the final scene.

Dec 26 - 05:40 AM

Beaugard Stevens

Beaugard Stevens

It's sort of funny though- in Crowe's last seconds when he falls, there is this loud sound effect of "CRACK!" like he just split his head open, it was like "Don't worry, he's dead! He's not coming back to sing anymore!"

Dec 26 - 11:39 AM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

Teeheehee Beaugard, how naughty of you LOL!

Dec 28 - 05:54 AM

Sally Dehner

Sally Dehner

What was up with the suicide? Doing it on stage is tricky and doesn't come off that well so I was expecting the movie scene to be dramatic and affecting. It was the only time I thought Russell Crowe showed any decent acting but then the jump and that "noise"- it was weird.

Jan 18 - 02:00 PM

Dallas Jokic

Dallas Jokic

I didn't like Crowe. But let's just take a moment to acknowledge how fantastic Samantha Barks was, she made everything else worthwhile!

Dec 25 - 09:27 PM

Iris Edwards

Iris Edwards

Noah, I couldn't agree more. Crowe is a fine actor, but I think he was trying so hard to sing, that his acting ability got lost in the music. Javert is one of the only musical theater roles that I would prefer brilliant acting over brilliant singing...That being said, doesn't Hollywood have people who can sing AND act? I think I've heard that they do...

Dec 25 - 08:20 PM

Kathryn Lilje

Kathryn Lilje

I was wondering why Crowe was cast as Javert in the first place. He was...adequate, and Javert is not an "adequate" role. You need somebody strong to carry that off, and Crowe just didn't cut it.

Dec 25 - 08:03 PM

Lalida Benjanak

Lalida Benjanak

Agree.

Dec 26 - 01:45 PM

Rebecca Gillenwater

Rebecca Gillenwater

I thought Crowe was fine; he certainly isn't as good a singer as any of the Javerts I've seen onstage but he was mostly on key. I was actually more disappointed by Hugh Jackman. Jackman has a pretty good tenor and "Bring Him Home" was just.. cringe-inducingly bad.

Dec 25 - 07:53 PM

Dana Pankuch

Dana Pankuch

I totally agree with you about Jackman. I was very disappointed with his singing. I know he can sing, but it's like something has happened to his voice, since it was more talk-singing than singing. It ruined the show for me.

Dec 26 - 10:03 AM

Martin Goodkin

Martin Goodkin

Noah you will never recognize Hathaway's version of "Dream" from the short clips you have seen! :O) I liked Crowe's voice!

Dec 25 - 06:45 PM

Martin Goodkin

Martin Goodkin

Crowe is getting a bad rap--okay his voice isn't the greatest but I am still trying to figure out how Amanda Seyfried keeps on getting roles--she completely fades on screen when with anyone

Dec 25 - 06:42 PM

Iris Edwards

Iris Edwards

SHE SUCKED!!!!!!!!!

Dec 25 - 08:21 PM

Breanna Miller

Breanna Miller

I wasn't particularly thrilled with Russell Crowe's singing. It seemed like he had a hard time staying on pitch and tempo. Also, while when he is SPEAKING he is very intimidating in a good Javert way, when he is singing he loses that intimidating factor completely.

Dec 25 - 05:33 PM

Matt Margala

Matt Margala

I loved him personally. He isn't for everyone but he has such a unique voice and I think he is good. Plus he is a badass in any role he plays.

Dec 25 - 05:27 PM

Kirsten Johnson

Kirsten Johnson

Going in I figured Crowe would be fine at all the authoritarian bits, but I really doubted his ability to pull off Stars and Javert's... Soliloquy. Surprisingly, I had it backwards. Those were two of his only decent pieces. I feel like he was having difficulty with acting and singing at the same time. But you're right that he did seem to focus on singing it entirely as written, though not particularly well, rather than acting it. His confrontation with Valjean was completely lopsided, with Jackman trying to pick up his slack. The entire point was to have them verbally sparring while physically fighting, but it really came across more like a fencing lesson that was so boring they were singing to fill the time.

Dec 25 - 05:07 PM

Kathryn Lilje

Kathryn Lilje

Couldn't agree more. I don't think he was nearly ferocious enough as Javert, in general. Loved the film as a whole, though.

Dec 25 - 08:06 PM

Dennis Shin

Dennis Shin

Boring fencing lesson, that's some fantastic imagery!

Dec 26 - 08:48 PM

Diana Blomgren

Diana Blomgren

It was sensational. You must listen to every song, every word. I'm not a
fan of musicals, but Russell Crowe in his implacable natural acting was a good choice for Javert. The little Gavroche boy killed retrieving bullets was a star. Did you know he was tghe son of the innkeeper couple? The story has nothing to do with singing ability, everything to
do with Victor Hugo's novel.

Dec 25 - 12:26 PM

Rachel Maus

Rachel Maus

I saw it last night, and at first I was the same. I was so skeptical about him, and unimpressed with the clips I had seen. However, once "Stars" came on, I fell in love. I thought he was truly great. Does he have the same voice that stage actors do? Of course not; not many of the cast does. But I think it still works well. But to each his own, I could see how some would be unimpressed. Try to have an open mind and remember they were going for a more gritty version as opposed to a "pretty" version.

Dec 25 - 06:42 AM

Selena Sheikh

Selena Sheikh

As much as I love Russell Crowe, I didn't like him singing Jarvet at all. He didn't bring across the self righteousness of the character or how driven he was to catch Valjean

Dec 25 - 04:44 AM

J I.

J Ig

Yes, unforgivably bad. Yes, terrible in the part.

Dec 25 - 03:57 AM

Lucy Smith

Lucy Smith

I am sorry but I feel like I have seen a completely different movie that some of these reviews. I mean I understand that each to their own and all, but I cannot see how Russell's performance can be that hated! For me he was perfect! I loved every second that he was on screen. His performance of stars was absolutely beautiful and he hit every not with such clarity that I could not take my eyes off the screen. I am not a huge Russell Crowe fan so don't think me biased. I mean, Javert's character doesn't allow for the extreme acting shown by Fantine and Valjean, because he is more subtle and withdrawn. I have seen many Javert's and I think Russell Crowe was a beautiful performance.

Dec 23 - 04:21 AM

Pat Murphy

Pat Murphy

I agree and I appreciated his acting as well, not trying to be overly horrible what a relief
He was as religiously dogmatic as Jean Valjen two sides of the same coin

Dec 28 - 08:12 PM

Beaugard Stevens

Beaugard Stevens

I've seen the movie, and he's even worse than the clips suggest. He's terrible, he nearly ruins the entire movie. He tanks every scene he is in, and not only that, he doesn't act in it, either, he's like a block of wood. He deserves a Razzie for his performance. The others are okay- acceptable, but he's just awful.

Dec 22 - 03:16 PM

stumpkat

Justin Stuempfle

There was a lot wrong with this version. Crowe stands proudly at the top of that list.

Dec 20 - 10:01 AM

Elayne Stageberg

Elayne Stageberg

Sorry, But I saw Les Mis last night and Russell Crowe finally made me understand Javert...for the first time. No, his voice will never match up to the others, but he can do more with just a look than most.

Dec 19 - 05:09 PM

Christopher Finkbone

Christopher Finkbone

Good to know. I'll try to go into it with an open mind.

Dec 20 - 10:52 AM

Stephanie Sabatelli

Stephanie Sabatelli

Yes...I GET Javert now which I never did before and I've seen the musical on stage 11 times! Crowe's eyes were intense.

Dec 29 - 01:33 PM

Christopher Finkbone

Christopher Finkbone

I think Russell Crowe was a lousy choice to play Javert. Javert is typically played by someone with a deep rich baritone voice, which Crowe lacks. I haven't seen it yet, but going by what I've seem on the many previews that I've seen, it seems that the other characters were very well cast. The real travesty here is that this is to be a movie that will be seen for many many decades into the future. To this day we still watch the musicals that were filmed 40 to 50 years ago (Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, West Side Story, Oliver!, etc.), and a "Les Miserables" movie should be perfect for the future generations to enjoy. I think the makers of the film really just made a poor choice by casting Crowe to play Javert (the second most relevant character in the story). The fact that the singing was filmed live makes matters worse when it comes to Crowe. If the singing would have been recorded in a studio, technological enhancements could have made his voice sound better. The movie will probably still be awesome, but Russell Crowe is still the thorn in the film's side.

Dec 19 - 10:39 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

I think it fits. It's not supposed to be soft and nice like the other actors because his character is aggressive.

Dec 18 - 08:08 AM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

The problem is that he's not aggressive ENOUGH. His Javert doesn't even have half the delivery of the many I've heard. Even the sophomore at my high school gave it more punch and anger than I hear in the snippets of Crowe's singing that have been released. I'm still seeing this, but I don't think he sounds anything like Javert should sound.

Dec 18 - 02:20 PM

Pat Murphy

Pat Murphy

He is evil ... persistance was enough to make that point

Dec 28 - 08:20 PM

dirtiusmaximus

Brent Webster

I certainly have my misgivings from what I've heard so far. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, however.

I do also worry that Helena Bonham Carter is just playing her stock crazy lady character.

Dec 17 - 04:53 PM

Kathryn Lilje

Kathryn Lilje

She and Cohen actually worked as the Thenardiers, although I had my doubts going in as well. They provide the right amount of comic relief without it getting over-the-top.

Dec 25 - 08:10 PM

Josh Oxborrow

Josh Oxborrow

I disagree I feel like they were way over the top

Dec 27 - 12:39 AM

Nyapuru Palandri

Nyapuru Palandri

I agree, they were OTT.

Dec 28 - 05:58 AM

Bob M.

Bob Mahlstedt

Absolutely OTT... way too much screen time for Sacha who simply played himself in a different costume with different makeup...he brought the movie down...yuk

Dec 28 - 06:27 PM

Pat Murphy

Pat Murphy

He was himself a perfect con...well cast

Dec 28 - 08:21 PM

Carol Duermit

Carol Duermit

She was that stock character. Again. It was okay though, but the same as she was in the last two I've seen her in.

Dec 26 - 08:03 PM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

I kind of like Crowe, but, then again, I'm no expert.

Dec 16 - 09:20 PM

Jim P.

Jim Prescott

I agree..i can never see this picture .I will stick with my memories of the broadway shows. Obvious they got Crowe cause they needed a "name"..so obvious..i guess Cruise and Depp turned it down first.

Dec 16 - 06:22 PM

Jamie White

Jamie White

You might want to read this fan review before depriving yourself of the pleasure http://dizzyspell.net/pop-culture/an-experience-with-les-miserables

Dec 18 - 11:00 AM

Jim P.

Jim Prescott

Each to his own but the "pleasure "was seeing it with "real" singers not "shills" like Crowe. I will pass but i do hope everyone sees it and maybe in turn if they had not already...see the live show . Colm for a cameo...oh lord...the best they had on the set for a cameo. Greed overtakes talent..it's the world we live in.

Dec 18 - 07:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Russell Crowe a shill? and an untalented one at that? My God have people forgotten L.A. Confidential, Gladiator, The Insider and 3:10 to Yuma already. Not to mention A beautiful Mind and Master and Commander. Russell Crowe is quite simply one of the best actors in the world today. To claim he's untalented as if they cast the latest flavor of the month shows criminal ignorance. Don't care for his voice fair enough, but untalented? Never.

Dec 19 - 04:50 PM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

I think the problem is when he tries to sing, he can't seem to act. So we don't get the benefit of his acting ability.

Dec 20 - 04:17 PM

Pat Murphy

Pat Murphy

Russel Crow has had a band for years he is a singer

Dec 28 - 08:22 PM

Jim P.

Jim Prescott

Because he had a band that means he can sing? Hey, I love Dylan but can he sing? Marilyn Manson has a band...:-) granted we would never had known he had a band if he was not a movie star.

Dec 30 - 05:56 PM

John Iles

John Iles

I'm probably just spoiled because I compare every Javert to Philip Quast, who in my opinion just blows the competition out of the water, but I agree. Russell, while a good actor, looks so focused on hitting pitches that his acting as Javert is as wooden as a lumberyard.

Dec 16 - 02:00 AM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

I love the musical, and I prefer good singing to acting. However, for a movie I expect good acting. So I can accept less than stellar singing as long as the emotion is behind it. In this case, it seems as if Crowe can't handle doing both, which defeats the purpose of hiring an actor versus a singer.

Dec 20 - 04:18 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

That's very true. Quast spoiled us all.

Dec 21 - 07:58 PM

Dave Birkenfeld

Dave Birkenfeld

He was Great

Dec 26 - 06:37 AM

Jackie Goshen

Jackie Goshen

totally agree - I went in expecting him to be the weak link of the major characters, but he was very well cast and his singing was right for his interpretation of Javert. Seyfried, on the other hand, sucked.

Dec 28 - 03:17 PM

Marc Love

Marc Love

I don't buy the "we were spoiled" argument. We weren't spoiled by Colm Wilkinson or Ruthie Henshall??? Come on...Hugh is no Colm and Anne is no Ruthie, but both Hugh and Anne gave *great* performances as singers AND actors; and nobody's making excuses for them.

Dec 28 - 01:32 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile