Big names stars who can not sing

My hopes were so high, but this was jut as bad as it gets. Russell Crowe was by far the worst, bu the lead roles were just all bad. The supporting cast was amazing and it is all that saved the movie. I really wished they had put a cast together who could sing. If this is one of your favorite musicals and you have seen it live, where the singer's move you to tear, Save your money.
Dina Floreancig
12-26-2012 05:58 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Phil Meh

Phil Meh

absolutly agreed with you, I saw the movie last night it is pathetic, they sing wrong, nothing original from the real story... very disapointed. How people could applaude at the end of the movie... probably the french theme ... By the way I am french... shame for Victor Hugo

Jan 7 - 12:15 AM

Nicole Tyau

Nicole Tyau

Oh, you're French? You must be an expert.

Oct 25 - 11:59 AM

Kellie Sheakoski

Kellie Sheakoski

Such a fantastic movie with outstanding performances! I am very pleased that so many can experience this great story and beautiful music now that it is on the big screen!

Jan 5 - 09:19 PM

Jonathan Nance

Jonathan Nance

I thought that the singing was incredible. Plus, this is the only movie I've seen that made me cry.

Jan 5 - 04:40 PM

Stephen Simmons

Stephen Simmons

How blasé and what easy critics we have become as a society. To say that Jackman is "bad" only underscores your arrogance/ignorance (I'm not sure which, Dina). What people have grossly failed to appreciate about this movie is it's uniqueness. It is a show that is known to everyone as a STAGE production, which has vastly different elements and attributes from a film. Hooper's bold use of both real time singing and ultra closeups was innovative and refreshing. the actors were acting AND singing. We saw every flaw and glint in their faces. This is something that the stage actors never had to worry about (especially if one saw the play from anywhere past the first few rows. For all of the armchair critics who can neither sing nor act to pass such negative judgement is a joke and highlights a glaring weakness in our new social media world: everyone's a critic and there is no filter. The only objective weakness in the film was Crowe. He acted very well, but he does not have the chops to pull off those songs. As with the young students, they probably should have cast a lesser known actor who could have pulled off the singing. To everyone else out there, IGNORE DINA"S COMMENTS and see the film...you will be happy that you did.

Jan 5 - 12:20 PM

Hugh Worrall

Hugh Worrall

I agree with you, Stephen. This is a wonderful movie about an important and moving story. I also agree about the close ups - I think it really helps us to connect with the characters and think about what they're experiencing. It's not a singing competition. Phil (comment above) says he can't understand why people applauded. They applauded where I was too. Why do you think people usually applaud?

Jan 18 - 03:07 AM

Nicanor Ramos

Nicanor Ramos

To me Russell Crowe was the only lead to stand out. All the others were great like Samantha Barks and Anne Hathaway.

Jan 4 - 11:27 PM

Tina Grieco

Tina Grieco

I saw Jackman in a stage production of "Oklahoma" and he has a great tenor voice. I was really looking forward to hearing him sing this role. However I found myself disappointed with his singing performance in the movie. I think what hurt him was the directors choice of having them sing live while filming. I think he was so focused on the acting aspect that good vocal technique went out the window.
Acting great...singing just okay for me.

Dec 29 - 02:11 PM

Mike Pieterse

Mike Pieterse

You definitely did not see the whole movie - except for Russel Crowe who was at best average singing ( but his acting made up for this)- it was very good, with exceptional acting and singing by Anne Hathaway. Go see the movie, you will not regret it.

Dec 28 - 09:34 PM

Celeste Mann

Celeste Mann

I enjoyed the movie, but agree with Dina about the leads. I think that perhaps this attempt justifies the use of dubbed professional voices in previous musical films, like West Side Story. The idea of singing live in a musical movie is an interesting one, but you need well trained professional voices to pull it off. I listened to parts of the film soundtrack and there is no way I would buy it. Some of the voices were not as offensive in the film, but when you hear them without the context of the acting you really hear what is missing from their "vocal portrayals." The acting and the scenery covers/distracts from that in the film.

Dec 28 - 08:19 PM

Sally Dehner

Sally Dehner

I heard a part of the soundtrack today and I have to agree. I must have been more caught up in the action than I realized because while I didn't care for most of the vocals (especially Bring Him Home and Stars) I didn't think they were as bad as they sound on the soundtrack.

Jan 18 - 12:45 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

I'm so utterly confused - with the obvious exception of Crowe - everyone can sing? Brilliantly? What is happening? Did I see something different?

Dec 28 - 04:36 PM

Kellie Sheakoski

Kellie Sheakoski

I agree. I thought the singing was amazing! Eddie's voice as Marius was perfect!!!

Jan 5 - 09:23 PM

Max Gon

Max Gon

I agree. PEople are down right insane if they claim that Hugh Jackman sag well in this movie. He was completely absent of melody for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Also russel crow sounded like he was singing while being smothered with a pillow. DREADFUL

Jan 6 - 02:06 PM

Anonymous #.

Anonymous #1

Are you kidding me?! The movie was amazing! True, Russell Crowe isnt too good, but he suprised me! not only was he good at the part, he didnt sound to bad singing. The other actors were outstanding. the whole movie was brilliant, from the actors to the effects! amazing!

Dec 28 - 03:53 PM

Joseph Blair

Joseph Blair

I totally agree. The great arias were just thrown out the window. This thing lives or dies on the quality of the vocals and just one or two of the newbees came close to making this thing soar. Hugh can't sing, Annie can't even hum and Crowe just needs to stop.

Dec 28 - 02:50 PM

Anonymous #.

Anonymous #1

How can you agree! the movie was brilliant!

Dec 28 - 03:54 PM

Jamie White

Jamie White

This isn't a concert, it is a movie. That means they are acting their roles. I've seen the stage version and love it but this is a different medium. There is ice, age, fear, degradation in the voices of Jackman, Hathaway, and Redmayne. They aren't belting to the balcony. Yes someone like Quast has a magnificent voice. He is also as stiff as a board. If you want stage vocal perfection watch the 10th anniversary concert. If you want drama that reveals the whole of Hugo, go see the movie.

Dec 28 - 02:44 PM

Katie Militello

Katie Militello

I simply adore Quast in his musical roles based upon what I have seen and heard. But I totally agree that he wouldn't work in.a movie role.

Dec 28 - 07:54 PM

Kellie Sheakoski

Kellie Sheakoski

You are so right!

Jan 5 - 09:25 PM

Mara Wecker

Mara Wecker

I completely agree. While Hugh and Russell are wonderful actors, and good singers in their own ways, they were NOT cut out to be the leads in Les Miserables. Amanda Seyfried was not much better either, Eddie Redmayne and Aaron Tveit completely stole the show, blow me away and brought me to tears. Samantha Baker very well, too, I think she sounded way better than she did in the 25th Concert. I have to agree with Mitch, the live production is so much better and completely worth the money to see it. I cry the entire time because the stage is way more intimate than the movie screen. You actually feel Valjean's dilemma, Javert's hatred and disdain, and Eponine's despair.

Dec 28 - 12:45 PM

Chris W.

Chris Ward

I agree with Mitch. This movie was fantastic. Nay-sayers be damned! I thought they all did great with the singing. I thought Russell Crowe was fabulous. "This is just about as bad as it gets"? Are you serious? Do you even watch movies? What I don't understand is you have those who love this movie and then you have those who seem to be absolutely disgusted with it like you. Really polarized.

Dec 27 - 03:08 PM

Dina Floreancig

Dina Floreancig

Honest did you hear the same movie I did, and I would not have commented if I did not see it. I guess you have never seen a real production of the show with a trained cast who have the vocal skill and talent to pull it off. To each there own and I would NEVER DAMN anyone who thinks different, ignorance shows in many ways !

Dec 27 - 11:26 PM

Mitch Morris

Mitch Morris

If this is one of your favorite musicals, but the stage show never managed to move you to tears, Spend your money. My wife never cried before, but during the movie she started crying once Jean got the candle sticks, and didn't stop the whole time. Just varied between light sniffles and weaping

Dec 27 - 12:46 AM

Dace Teegardin

Dace Teegardin

I was crying too. Mostly when Russell Crowe was singing. Several people applauded when he finally jumped.

Dec 28 - 01:10 PM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile