BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !

I couldn't wait till it was over. Worst MusicalI have seen. I think Susan Boyle would have sang "I dream the Dream" better in it. BORING !I was glad when Russel Crowe went off the bridge , I didn't have to listen to him anymore :(
Marea McEwen
12-29-2012 10:17 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Nicole Tyau

Nicole Tyau

Well considering it's drawn from a 1,300 page masterpiece of Romantic literature, follows the entangled lives of seven people who are all considered main characters, spans a period of about 40 years, was technically listed as a musical film, is an archetype of emotion, humanity, and moral conflict, and provides an accurate spectacle of post-Revolutionary France, I would think that this would be a long movie that has much emotionality, and yes, to apparently everyone's surprise, a lot of singing. What do you expect from a musical? Oh, and to those of you smashing Hugh Jackman for his grated singing, he is portraying an ex-convict who has this constant struggle of inner morality and never feeling good enough for God. Anne Hathaway's embodiment of Fantine is beautiful; Fantine has not had a single thing go right for her in her life, and she is completely selfless. She gives up her life to help her daughter have a better one. Her emotionally raw performance of "I Dreamed A Dream" only makes the lyrics more impactful. If it's perfectly over-dubbed and edited singing you want, go watch Glee. Maybe before you go see a movie because your friend at the hair salon tells you to, try doing some searching on your own to see if it's something you'll like. If you have the time, patience, or intelligence to, try reading the book. I did it when I was fifteen years old. But if you're "bored" by a visually stunning, well-performed, well-directed, and musically flawless film, well, don't even bother with Hugo's book. To you, I would suggest Hairspray, a culturally insignificant movie with recorded singing and John Travolta in a fat suit; plus, it's just long enough and has enough shiny objects to capture your attention. That seems right up your alley.

Oct 25 - 11:33 AM

Neil Brown

Neil Brown

It was enjoyable but lengthy. otherwise it was excellent. Haters gonna hate.

May 12 - 06:35 PM

Kevin Lance Cruz

Kevin Lance Cruz

The film was great, the singing was great and the cast was great. The passion, the raw emotion, the spectacular singing and the solid plot, makes this musical/film one of the best i've ever seen.

Apr 27 - 11:23 AM

Danny Peltier

Danny Peltier

It's garbage that I would not leave in the kitchen garbage. It stinks so bad I had to bring it to the dumpster outside. Lost a $1.50 on redbox plus tax.

Apr 21 - 03:48 PM

Alex Hogendorp

Alex Hogendorp

I enjoyed this film, oh and I must've seen this film at school before it's released.

Mar 23 - 10:17 PM

Sara H.

Sara Hale

Could this movie have been more miserable? No. I couldn't wait for it to be over! And did I really want to watch Anne Hathaway become a prostitute? They could have cut some of that part out! Please! Did they have to show everything? And they should have had at least some talking! Singing every line got old REALLY FAST!

Feb 20 - 04:08 PM

Art Salmons

Art Salmons

Hey relax. This movie isn't for you. We have some quality Twilight films for people of your.... intellect.

Mar 22 - 01:48 AM

Danny Peltier

Danny Peltier

No it's not about intellect. It's just not good.

Apr 21 - 03:50 PM

Neil Brown

Neil Brown

Its better than shiny vampires.

May 12 - 06:36 PM

Ria Perez

Ria Perez

Les Mis is what is sounds like--dark, somber..but boring? No. "Moving" is more like it. Les Mis is very profound and deserves to be recognized for that. Susan Boyle would not have SUNG "I Dreamed a Dream" better than Anne. She doesn't even fit Fantine's character description to begin with!

Feb 8 - 08:48 PM

Keith Jones

Keith Jones

I wouldn't take Marea's comments too seriously folks, she's a troll. In another thread she says she wanted to walk out after ten minutes. So she went to see a musical and wanted to walk out after one song. What an idiot! What on earth was she expecting to see in the first ten minutes lol.

Feb 3 - 04:30 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

this thread is BOOOORRIINNNGGGG !

Feb 2 - 08:54 PM

TJ Estrada

TJ Estrada

Les Miserables is possibly one of the best movies in 2012. And one great movie to end the year on. A brilliant Cast and Tom Hooper's decision to shoot the entire thing Live rather than have it dubbed over like most musicals was genius, this meant that the emotions the actor were expressing were real and you could feel it. With all the Trash that come in the cinema's in recent times I find this one to be one of the very few that I would call a Masterpiece and an Instant Classic

Jan 30 - 08:51 PM

James G.

James Gray

TJ, yep, I agree, a masterpiece. I loved it!

Feb 22 - 11:12 AM

Ram Ananthraman

Ram Ananthraman

I assume the likes of a Tranformers musical would be more up your street then? I'm not a big fan of musicals myself, I despise Glee and the chirpy long-winding musical films like Hairspray which lack depth and real emotion. BUT THIS FILM was something else!! I went with my best friend and at the end we were both snivelling and throwing tissues at each other, embarrassed to admit we actually cried. Some real raw and stunning performances, especially by Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried (and of course really hillarious laugh-out-loud moments with Sacha Baren Cohen and Helen Carter). It is quite a long film though and at times feels dragging (the first half hour was a bit overwhelming with all the close ups etc) but otherwise I recommend this film to people who want and appreciate a true moving performance as opposed to a CGI dominated blast-up :)

Jan 30 - 04:36 AM

TJ Estrada

TJ Estrada

Couldn't have said it better myself.. Quite a classic.
a movie like this doesn't come around often.

Jan 30 - 08:43 PM

Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty

Thank God. Give me Chicago, Sound of Music or Grease any day over this. I loved the play, but "raw emotion" does not equal a great movie without great voices. Other than Eponine, these were all actors with adequate voices at best. To the people saying how fantastic Russell Crowe was, you might want to have your ears checked.

Feb 2 - 12:03 AM

James G.

James Gray

I thought Crowe was better than the guy who played the lead in the Phantom film a few years ago.

Feb 22 - 11:13 AM

Peter Salzer

Peter Salzer

Deeper and more powerful - please explain.

Jan 29 - 03:39 PM

Peter Salzer

Peter Salzer

Boring is just the beginning of it. How could it be nominated for anything büt a Turkey Award. No that's too good!

Jan 29 - 03:38 PM

Sue Stephenson

Sue Stephenson

Very sorry for you! U have played in the pit for several live productions of this work. For the first time every, I understood the stories and passions of the characters. The challenge of a "serious" musical/opera, especially on screen is to allow the music to enhance a vital story, not become the performance itself. Russell Crowe - best role I have seen him in, and best Jauvert performance EVER! At th opera this would have had a standing ovation. BRAVO!

Jan 4 - 07:01 PM

Wágner Dos Santos

Wágner Dos Santos

I guess people who aren't accustomed to musicals or operetas are going to this movie thinking it's going to be Grease or Mamma Mia. Sorry guys, it's actually much deeper and powerful. Maybe too much for some.

Jan 4 - 06:34 PM

James G.

James Gray

I wouldn't say Les Miz is better than Mama Mia(one of my favorite movies ever) but it is great!

Feb 22 - 11:13 AM

Anonymous #.

Anonymous #1

Are you kidding me?! The movie was amazing and as for the singing, it was outstanding. Russel Crowe was perfect for the part! I dream the Dream was so sad and perfect. I'm a very tough critic and this was the best movie I saw all the 2012 year.

Jan 4 - 08:17 AM

Ray Jones

Ray Jones

OK folks, If you wanna hear good singers ... go to an opera. The raw singing actually added to the authenticity of the screenplay here. The makeup was totally awesome. The cinematography superb. The story timeless. The passion .... fervent. Great cast. Great Movie. The best I've seen this year (better than Lincoln).

Jan 3 - 08:19 PM

Aubree Kloes

Aubree Kloes

Ohhhh, boooo hoooo, poor wittle baby doesn't have an attention span, oh you poor thing! It's okay honey, go back to your reality TV and your crude comedies, it's okay.

Jan 2 - 11:14 AM

Danny Peltier

Danny Peltier

Hated this movie and hate reality shows.

Apr 21 - 03:53 PM

Diane Vogels

Diane Vogels

I loved the movie...the music is so beautiful and inspiring...it was neat to see the man who played Jean valjean on stage have a small part in the movie....it was a tear jerker for sure

Dec 30 - 11:03 PM

Sunny Lovetts

Sunny Lovetts

You have not a heart, go watch "white chicks" or something more up your mindless alleyway.

Dec 30 - 09:44 PM

Marea McEwen

Marea McEwen

Is this the words of a true Christian Sunny ?

Dec 31 - 05:40 PM

Thomas N.

Thomas Newby

One of the most overrated movies I have ever seen, did not even get close. The only reason this movie is not rotten is because it was over-hyped prior to release.

Dec 30 - 01:07 PM

Marea McEwen

Marea McEwen

They thought they could get away with it by casting big named actors for the parts and they could not deliver!

Dec 30 - 03:10 PM

Jonathan Nance

Jonathan Nance

They cast the 'big named actors' because those actors are the BEST actors. And I think that they did the best acting that their parts could ask for.

Jan 5 - 04:38 PM

Ram Ananthraman

Ram Ananthraman

I agree, I think Marea may have gone to watch a different film. The cast were exceptional, albeit perhaps let down by some of the overtly close shots which could at times be off-putting to their performances. But they were fantastic and superbly and believably performed. I think you must've gone in expecting Grease or Hairspray or some other non-realistic OTT chirpy unchallenging film, whereas this one does pull at the heart strings for the sentimental fans.
Then again you should've known that if you know anything about the original musical, it's not meant to be a happy easy going piece, and the adaptation to film really brought the story and characters to life for me. Very moving indeed.

Jan 30 - 04:43 AM

Nicole Tyau

Nicole Tyau

You think those actors are unqualified? Let me take a few minutes to prove you wrong.
1) Hugh Jackman played a leading role for the UK's Royal National Theater which earned him an Olivier Award for best actor in a musical. He then went on in 2002 to star in Carousel at Carnegie Hall. In 2004, he won a Tony Award for his performance in "The Boy from Oz." He also starred in "A Steady Rain" with Daniel Craig in 2009. He also did a musical production called "Hugh Jackman; Back on Broadway" in preparation for the Les Mis role.
2) Anne Hathaway grew up in the theater. Her mother played Fantine in the first US tour of Les Miserables. Anne was the first teenager accepted into the Barrow Group Theater Company's acting program. She sang in the All-Eastern High School Honors chorus for two years (if you don't know what that means, it shows that she was one of the top teenage singers on the east coast). She performed in various productions, like Gigi and Jane Eyre, roles which landed her numerous awards. She is a trained theater actress and has been compared to Judy Garland and Audrey Hepburn.
3) Russel Crowe, while his singing voice isn't as good as these other actors, is extremely qualified for his role. Crowe has tremendous music experience, performing in several bands whose albums have ranked in the Top 100 in Canada and has landed him multiple appearances in venues across the western hemisphere.

This isn't just a star-studded cast. These people have experience beyond being Wolverine, a teenage princess, and an 18th century seaman. Believe it or not, Hollywood has multi-faceted stars, and you should probably check out Wikipedia before you go off making these stupid, extremely uninformed comments.

Oct 25 - 11:58 AM

Cindy Vickerman

Cindy Vickerman

I loved this musical.

Dec 30 - 06:39 AM

Jared Kelner

Jared Kelner

your an idiot

Dec 29 - 10:38 PM

Jared Kelner

Jared Kelner

your an idiot