Bring Him Home

I left the cinema feeling a bit disappointed. Much of the drama and majestic sensitiveness of the musical is lost, mainly because of Jackman's uneven singing abilities. The song "Bring him home", which is supposed to be one of the highlights, is instead turned into a mediocre song that did not move me at all, or at least it did not move as the musical did...
Tom Hoopper's indiscriminate use of close takes makes the movie even duller and sometimes boring.
Despite all that Hathaway, Barks, Redmayne, Tveit, Seyfried, Bonham-Carter and Cohen are up to the job and they all have come up with some remarkable performances.
Robert Mompart-Endecott
01-7-2013 12:04 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Frank B.

Frank Baum

As I have commented elsewhere, I actually left the theatre not just a 'bit' disappointed, but extremely disappointed, for many reasons.
However, on the topic of 'Bring Him Home', I thought the delivery was weak, the sentiment of the piece lost, and 'mediocre' is a remarkably generous description of that particular bit of warbling.
I know very well that I'm basing my thoughts very much on Colm Wilkinson's truly majestic interpretation, and that perhaps Hugh Jackman had the right to do something different, but... Valjean's Prayer is one of the cornerstones of the production, and in my opinion he didn't even come close.
I was amazed when I saw the Bishop welcoming him into Paradise, after that demolition of his earlier work!!

Jan 21 - 09:39 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile