Less Than Zero Reviews

½ June 16, 2014
At first the unlikable characters keep us from relating to the story, but Kanievska manages the feat of making them all sympathetic later, in a powerful, devastating portrayal of drug addiction with a great soundtrack and two terrific performances by Robert Downey Jr. and James Spader.
½ February 15, 2011
This movie helped de-glamorize the life I felt I was missing out on. The sad story of friends as life moves on. Great soundtrack! The movie is not near as powerful as the book, but just because the story mixes in my head made the movie better. The glam life of my generation!! lol
September 6, 2010
A beautifully gritty young adult drama about life after high school. The cast is awesome, and so is the story. I love this movie.
jjnxn
½ August 4, 2007
robert downey jr is great and james spader is suitably slimy but they are surrounded by a picture that is utter junk
½ November 20, 2006
Bret Easton Ellis should've sued. This movie is horrible.
September 5, 2006
Robert Downey, Jr. is exceptional and Andrew McCarthy is fantastic as well in this somewhat formulaic but altogether effective melodrama. Jami Gertz brings the film down a notch with her inconsistent performance, but the story is compelling and overall it's well-executed. Required viewing for fans of either of the leading men.
ualush
½ February 24, 2013
Not as bad as I've been led to believe.
½ May 9, 2007
I haven't read the book so I can't compare it to that, although I'm sure the book is better (as they always are). This was actually a pretty lame movie, but Robert Downey Jr and James Spader pretty much own everything they're in, so it's hard to rate it lower. If they hadn't been in it, it probably would've been really lame, because usually I don't mind Andrew McCarthy but he annoyed me in this and Jami Gertz was horrible. And I hate movies about drugs, I don't know why, but drugs really bore me.
divinetrash
December 28, 2007
This film made me terrified of drugs because apparently, if you snort anything, you'll become a badly-written, dull, boring, uninteresting character with no depth and a poor adaptation of a book.
September 2, 2008
A fantastically depressing film highlighting the excess of the 80's. I can see why this was Downey Jr.'s big break - he steals every scene he's in, taking more risks and going deeper than any one else. The character's arc was played so flawlessly, I cried, laughed, and felt breathtaking despair just when I was supposed to. That being said, the other performances are just "good" and the script lags at certain points, covering the same material needlessly. However, this is a great heartstring-puller (if only due to one character) and highly recommended.
½ February 13, 2008
Downey Jr. takes it in the ass for blow. Spader is a gay drug dealer.
Gertz has rusty pipes and Pre-Bernies Andrew McCarthy. This all adds up to GOLD! It was hard being rich,young, and growing up in the 80's. I Know!
iLeo
½ December 27, 2007
Quite interesting.
½ August 4, 2006
Downey and cocaine? Surreal performance by Downey jr. I wonder why?
November 11, 2012
I watched Less Than Zero mistakenly when I was 13. Compelled to watch it again, I did, and this time around I noticed the abundant flaws but really enjoyed Robert Downey Jr's performance.
March 24, 2014
I recently saw the rules of attraction, also based off an easton ellis novel, and i loved that, so i checked this one out, which is somewhat well known, sadly this is nowhere near the same level as "rules" both have despicable characters, but rules knew it and made no apologies for them and embraced their depravity, whereas this tries to make them still good people and the result is awful, i didnt care about any of them, and they all made stupid decisions, frankly i was rooting for the drug dealer spader, he was the only one with any character, plus uncle jack from breaking bad is his bodyguard! i will say it has some good shots and the score by thomas newman is way better than it deserves
½ March 1, 2013
80's yuppies do coke and Downey starts to bob some knob. This may be why I think Spader is a tool. Made more cheesed out by the test of time but I didn't like this much even back in the day. Pretty standard and predictable.
May 19, 2008
I'm definitely rating this with the rose colored glasses of nostalgia, because this film isn't all that good, but was something I caught at the right age for it to be intriguing to me. Having since read the novel several times it's hard to watch bits of this because it is so sanitized from the source material and because Andrew McCarthy is just so Goddamned boring to look at and seems so self-righteous whereas Clay in the novel is equally amoral.

Robert Downey Jr. makes this worth watching, and Jami Gertz is really easy on the eyes, even if her Blair character is almost goofily childlike at times.

Worth a rental.
February 5, 2011
A depressing and well acted movie about how drugs can end friendships. I also like how "totally 80's" this was.
½ July 8, 2006
Despite some good performances, the whole things feels a bit heavy-handed and dated. I was all excited when I saw it was based on a Bret Easton Ellis novel, but it kind of fizzles. Nothing really hits home. Disappointing.
January 24, 2009
Honestly, the film is a horrible depiction of an amazing novel because a lot was changed for the worst, and although a lot of the actors did a terrible job, Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in this film is among the best performances I have seen in any film ever. I watch the film sometimes just to see him act.