Let the Right One In Reviews

Paulo G
September 6, 2012
Let The Right One In succeeds in transcending the vampire genre onto a new light, creatively giving depth through characterization and through an intelligent and slow-paced yet riveting narrative.
hunterjt13 hunterjt13
April 12, 2012
A twelve-year-old boy befriends the vampire who lives next door.
Slowly paced and atmospheric, this is not a typical vampire film. The children provide an interesting take on the vampire genre, and there is more than enough creepy scenes that might please a horror fanatic.
However, the film's pace was often too slow for me, and the exposition was too long. Also, I thought the school bullies were unrealistically sadistic. They seemed like the adult sociopaths whom I've tired of in movies of this ilk.
Overall, I liked Let the Right One In and am generally impressed by Swedish cinema, but I can't say that I was in the film's thrall, so to speak.
Lady D
February 8, 2009
I have to admit I watched this film, knowing nothing about it at all and had I known it was a vampire film, perhaps I wouldn?t have watched it with the same enthusiasm, however this is the most naturally acted Vampire film that I've seen to date.

Two fantastic child leads and the storyline came across more like a genuine murder tale.

Slightly stretched out in parts, but most certainly worth the watch. The accompanying music is simply beautiful.
Albert K
½ January 17, 2012
Let me shoot this right off the bat: "Let the Right One In" is one impeccably well made movie. Spectacular. The best vampire movie to ever be made.

It's a much more methodically paced thriller that slowly but smartly eases tension that is to be found in only a few films nowadays. And when it gets tense, man, you're freezing up. "Let the Right One In" is masterfully directed; it does everything right -- whether it's the Stanley Kubrick-esque style of cinematography to the perfect pacing to the melancholy magic between the two main characters, this is what films are all about. The two lead characters deserve a standing ovation -- it's not only the tone that the movie gives off that accentuates the actors' performances or the great screenplay, but it simply comes down to the superb acting that makes their chemistry so unique.
There are some wildly outstanding scenes that deserve recognition for it rivals with masterpieces. I loved how the movie is grounded in realism and how though its premise is mysterious in the universe it's placed in, it doesn't reveal too much. It's focus is on the relationship.

As you can tell, I absolutely loved this movie. It is superb on every level -- technically and emotionally. "Let the Right One In" is an exceptional film that rightfully deserves the praise its been getting for everything within it is masterfully crafted to perfection.
Drake T
March 9, 2012
Incredibly fresh and inspiring, Let the Right One In is an intimate character driven piece of supernatural focused on friendship and romance.

Having enjoyed the remake more is not to say that the original didn't have it's own little set of merits

It's definitely less engaging than the remake with more respectable pacing but the most notable difference between the two films was the antagonist, whom in the Swedish original witnessed the death of two close friends before making his way to exact vengeance on the "viscous" little girl. Lacke then becomes the embodiment of justice and conflict that is a result of her monstrous existence.

However, I feel that his additional journey, dimension as a character and subsequent death sends a moral message that's overly provoking with no consequence, not only that but deters from the films core protagonists and their relationship. Something that the remake streamlines, focuses and even builds upon further.

Also, for a 2008 film the horror and suspense was awfully stilted and even felt dated with no real play on lighting or camera dynamics for additional atmosphere. Simply put, it wasn't very frightening visually and as a horror movie... that's kind of a problem.
Joel K. Joel K.
½ October 27, 2011
Full of Darkness and Realism, in away Twilight just can't manage, Let the Right one in is a film that demands your full attention. From the very begining it grabs you by the kneck, and drags you kicking and screaming through a disturbing, but touching, story of a bullied boy who finds a friend in a strange girl. Besides the plot, this film has an amazing look. The snowy city the film is based in, with its grimy buildings and dark streets, creates an atmosphere which blends well with the story. This film is un-easy and harrowing to watch, but still an amazing and rewarding experience.
Jan Marc M
September 26, 2011
An intriguing relationship of a boy and a peculiar girl, Let The Right One In is a film adaptation that successfully communicates valiant messages creating tension by focusing on the relationship over the horror dimension.
theunknownhobo theunknownhobo
½ July 17, 2011
I cannot say that I loved this movie, but I liked it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Confusing sometimes, but still worth a watch.
jamers2011 jamers2011
January 11, 2011
Brilliant! A wonderful film. So effective in it's simple delivery, but still deep meaningful and touching. The script, cast, scenery, and cinematography are all extremely minimal, but where those things lack, the emotion and characters shine. That's where this this film succeeds!

Excellent performances, even from the two leading child actors. Great mood and atmosphere, and a great musical score! Great foreign film...I wonder how the American version is?
Spencer S
½ November 1, 2010
Everything that would have made Twilight cool, plus a love story without blatant anti-feminism and one dimensional characters. A vampire film, without saying, should include the gritty aspects, without belittling an audience's intelligence. Here we have an emotionally fraught twelve year old girl, forced to kill in order to survive, once her guardian is caught killing to feed her blood. She is full of remorse, and possesses a soul, much like the romanticized vampyrs of late, but she also comes across as a realistic monster. Besides all the murder, mayhem, and graphic scenes of bloodletting, the toll of damage is contained to her life, and that of her young friend and neighbor, Oskar. Decidedly more diverse, (suicidal vampire anyone?) Let the Right One In is a masterpiece.
Shawn E
April 19, 2011
This Swedish film really puts a fresh look on vampire films. An excellent original story that balances horror with a dark love story. The cinematography and performances by the young actors is superb.
Cameron S
½ April 17, 2011
Due to popular demand (from one person), I am planning on doing reviews after most, or every film I watch. This is a good film to make my glorius return with, for those who don't know 'Let the Right One In' is a vampire movie that makes Twilight look like a steaming pile of Dracula's shit. My uncle Herb told me to watch this film a long while back and I kept on putting it off for some unknown reason (probably because I'm an idiot), but now I've watched it I have to say, this is definetely one of my new favourites, I mean, It has a little girl ripping of heads for God's sake, what more do you need in a film?
Kev Kev
½ March 12, 2011
Grade: A+ (96%)

More unique storytelling and less vampire attacks, Let The Right One In is one of the best vampire movies ever made.

Twelve year old Oskar is person who is bullied in school. He has no friends, always getting picked on by Connoy and his gang, and has to deal with the separation of his parents. But when a girl named Eli comes around, his life changes for the better and worse. Unknown to Oskar, Eli is a twelve year old vampire who, on some occasions, feeds upon humans. When she is full, she helps Oskar overcome the bullies of his school.

Let The Right One In is more of a romance than a horror film. This film is about the bond between vampire and human and how together they do hurtful things without feeling bad about themselves. The unique story is definitely the movie's strong point. The movie doesn't have to depend on the murders like other vampire films (The Blade Trilogy, Dracula to name a couple) but actually flows through this relationship that is rare in any vampire movie. Now this movie can be gory and freaky in some instances. The murders, while violent, aren't really gory; in fact, some bloody scenes come when you least expect them.

Let The Right One In is the best vampire movie I have seen. It doesn't have to rely on buckets of gore but gives the viewer something special. The tale between a human and a vampire is beautiful in it's dark and romantic ways. Don't let the subtitles fool you as this is a foreign film. Do not expect a lot of violence or blood but instead, enjoy this unique vampire film.
Fernando Rafael Q
January 5, 2009
Moody horror/romance hybrid features rich cinematography and score. Although it deserves praise for its uniqueness and for not giving in to any of the genre's conventions, it's incredibly slow and does what a supernatural drama (or any film, for that matter) shouldn't even dare to do: bore.
cosmo313 cosmo313
September 8, 2010
This film has a reputation for being excellent, so I tried to not let hype get in the way. Turns out, everyone was right. This is an excellent film. In terms of a letter grade, I'd give it an A- to an A.

While yes, this is a "vampire" film, it's not really a vampire film in a typical sense. It's more like a romantic study of loneliness, friendship, and the pains of adolescence, with some occasional gruesomeness. Think of vampirism as more of a metaphor. Is this a horror film? Only in an unconventional sense. As with the vampire connection, look at it as more of a drama with some moments of intensity.

Atmosphere, mood, and tone are the real stars here. This is a quiet, small, and brooding film. The Swedish setting fits vibe perfectly. I loved the look and the camera work here. While this film is okay to watch anytime, it works best if you watch it on a cold, dark, and eerie winter day- it really heightens the mood.

The performances are wonderful. I loved the subtlety and the quiet, odd chemistry between the two leads. This is an odd film, yet the logic here works. Oskar thinks nothing of issues that others might. For him, the world is no longer surprising, and he's able to tolerate or accept things as they are..well, everything accept for bullies, but that's a different matter. Lina Leandersson plays Eli with just the right amount of coldness and mystery. Again, subtlety is key. They could have gone for a super emo/brooding thing here, or a super sensual vibe, but they nicely play it as Eli being mostly regular with just a touch of difference (the difference being a big deal, but handled as if it wasn't).

Give this one a chance. It is a smartly executed, stunning, and absorbing story that also does a nice job of tweaking well-worn territory.
TheDudeLebowski65 TheDudeLebowski65
June 14, 2010
Ever since I was young, I have been a fan of vampire films. The appeal of supernatural beings living in darkness and drinking human blood always intrigued me. In fact, one of the very first Horror films that I have seen was The Lost Boys. Ever since my first viewing of that film, I have always been interested in the vampire sub genre of Horror. I've watched good and bad vampire flicks. But recently mostly bad. Until my uncle recommended a vampire film from Sweden. That film is Let The Right One In. This is a phenomenal piece of cinema. This is such a different take on classic vampire stories and is a much needed breath of fresh air. After the two painful films, I Am Legend and The Lost Boys: The Tribe, two films that I was heavily looking forward into seeing, and ultimately was very disappointed at what I saw. Let The Right One In is pretty much one of the greatest vampire films in a long time. The film brings back everything that was grand about traditional vampire films, and creates something totally new and very different from what we have seen in the past. The film is beautifully told by director Tomas Alfredson and he adapts John Ajvide Lindqvist to perfection. I?ve read the book and Alfredson?s adaptation of the litterary work is masterful. Let The Right One In, for me is probably the best vampire film since Bram Stoker?s Dracula. If you are disappointed with thecurrent state of vampire flicks (Twilight) then give this one a view, you will be presently surprised. Let The Right One In is a spectacular horror film that combines drama and romance effectively well to create one incredibly memorable film. Let The Right One In is a fine return to traditional vampire films. The film is a real treat and will appeal to every fan of the vampire genre. I cannot praise this film enough. Everything from the story, the acting , the cinematography is pure poetry. This is the type of film that can salvage the Horror genre, and save whats left, as Hollywood keeps turning out awful remakes. But to summarize this review in one sentence, Let The Right One In is one of the best Horror films that I have seen in a long time. The film film is incredible and every Horror fan should watch this superbly crafted film.
Sophie B
February 4, 2011
Absoltely fantastic! Gripping and dramatic from the start, the relationship between Oskar and Eli is intense and heartfelt. The actors were fantastic and I loved every minute. There was a small mistake with the Rubiks cube though. At one point the only square that wasn't white was red and then the next it was a blue square.
garyX garyX
½ November 15, 2008
An insular 12 year old boy who is being bullied at school finds companionship with a young girl who moves in next door, only to find that she is a vampire. Let The Right One In puts a new spin on vampire mythology which is intertwined with an innocent romance between two social outcasts. The approach is very low key, almost too much so. I found it rather sterile and lacking in drama and the moral ambiguity of the story didn't sit very well with me. At the end of the day the girl is going round murdering innocent people and the message the film seems to be conveying is that violence is the answer to your worries. I didn't feel any real attachment to the characters, and Lina Leandersson aside, I didn't think it was particularly well acted. I'd also have to say that the romance element is dispelled if you choose to draw the conclusion that her "father" who she treats like a virtual slave, was in fact the last 12 year old boy she had seduced. It's certainly an interesting and attractively shot film, but I wasn't as enamoured with it as everyone else seems to be.
paul o. paul o.
½ January 21, 2011
Its something different in the horror genre and it works out pretty well. Its like Twilight got Swedish and awesome! With a great story, its new twist on the typical vampire romance. People who liked this should also watch the american remake, Let me In, which i thought was probably one of the best remakes i have seen!