Let There Be Light - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let There Be Light Reviews

½ March 10, 2014
This is an interesting documentary about the emotional price for war was banned for many years after it was produced. Director John Huston made this at the end of World War II, showcasing the turmoil the war caused on some soldiers. It is interesting in two ways, one to see how they dealt with these kind of issues in the 1940s, and also to see them actually talking about the non-death/physical wounded price that war has...so many films and documentaries produced of the era glossed over the emotional stuff. It isn't great propaganda to say that war is difficult and scars you mentally if not physically. Worth a look.
July 8, 2015
Historically important documentary was suppressed by the U.S. government for over thirty years.
April 5, 2013
"I don't know if anybody knows John Huston's "Let There Be Light," but a lot of Hollywood directors were commissioned by the War Department to make films about the war. Frank Capra did films out in the field, John Ford obviously did a lot, and John Huston decided to make one about the VA hospitals, when soldiers were coming back. And the War Department took one look at this film and they said "absolutely no way we're showing this to anybody" because they had this amazingly graphic footage that showed you what these fellows were coming back with. There's stuff that we kind of ripped off, line for line, from that film. It was the best source of material that we found to show what these VA hospitals were like at that time. It tells that story in a very different way." - Paul Thomas Anderson (on making ''The Master.'')
November 18, 2012
wow. you will never see a movie like this ever again