Lethal Weapon 2 Reviews

Dr114
½ June 24, 2013
A sequel that's just as good as the first one. It's the continuation of the adventures of the likable duo of Riggs and Murtaugh. It retains everything that made the first movie great and then some. Now we have Joe Pesci playing Leo Getz, the irritating yet harmless tag along. This one even packs some more emotional punches into it, turning it into a revenge-buddy cop-thriller. In the beginning, it drops you straight into the action and doesn't lose your attention for the rest of the film, ending on an emotional yet comical note. Lethal Weapon 2 is a great sequel. Letter Grade: A
blkbomb
½ January 10, 2012
Roger Murtaugh: It's just been revoked!

"The magic is back!"

Lethal Weapon 2 is just as entertaining, just as fun, just as funny, and just as thrilling as the original. The first one is a classic, but I like this one as much, if not slightly more than the first. The character development from the first one is over, and now it is all action. This actually has more action than the original, and the original had a shit load of action. The two main actors are back, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, along with a new, familiar face; that being Joe Pesci. Whenever Pesci is in a film, you know it's going to be all the more better for having his presence. He plays a different type of character than I am used to seeing from him, but still he's good.

This revolves around the same core plot as the first. Two cops are on a case. This time they are dealing with some South Africans. Also, Riggs falls in love with a secretary that's working for the South African diplomat. The story is even more engaging than the first, in my opinion. It has just about everything movies like this need. As far as buddy cop movies go, it's hard to beat the first two movies in this classic franchise, or it's two cops; Murtaugh and Riggs. This is the cop duo.

This has to be considered another staple of the genre. The first two movies in this series pretty much define the genre. They have all the violence, explosions, and chases that they could possibly throw into the runtime. This movie is slightly longer than the first, but you won't notice. It runs like a sprinter. It starts fast with a chase scene , and doesn't stop until it reaches the finish line.

Martin Riggs: I'm not a cop tonight, Rog. This is personal.
garyX
December 9, 2006
Riggs and Murtaugh investigate the staff of a South African consulate who are hiding behind their diplomatic credentials to perpetrate organised crime. The same team who brought you the original formula of testosterone soaked, adolescent pleasing action and wise cracks returns with exactly the same blend of destruction, homophobic quips, female nudity, car chases and torture that scored so big with the box office. And if you thought the first film was a bit too subtle and sophisticated, it introduces exploding cars, machine guns, helicopter gunships and baddies who are not only evil, sadistic bastards, but RACIST, evil, sadistic bastards, right from the get go. And an exploding toilet. Patsy Kensit is a bit of an insipid love interest and Joe Pesci's constant nasal yammering irritates rather than amuses so it's not quite as good as the first film, but it's close enough to please its fans.
½ March 28, 2007
Not nearly as awesome as the first film, but still entertaining.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 13, 2011
For a second film, Lethal Weapon 2 is a fairly decent action film. I much preferred this film over the third and fourth films. Sure it has Pesci, and I do not like him in these films. But there's too much fire in this sequels belly that it overshadows Pesci's annoying performance. I won't give this sequel a high rating, but it's fairly entertaining, and I somewhat liked this second effort. The thing with Lethal Weapon films is that they're more tongue in cheek than say the Die Hard films. For what it is, Lethal Weapon is average action film that does deliver some entertaining bits. But I thought it could've been better. Like I've said, my favorite Lethal Weapon is the first film, and this is a fair second entry. Nothing too special. Some entertaining bits, but at times the film falls flat. Fans of the first will probably love this one,and think it's an improvement. But I always believe that it was hard to top an original film, and only a few sequels in cinematic history has topped the original. Lethal Weapon 2 as a whole, is a borderline good sequel and is the better sequel of this somewhat lacking franchise. After this film the sequels became a lot more tongue and cheek, and felt cheap. A fairly decent film to watch, but nothing ever memorable. A fun time waster, but nothing to truly remember and call a classic.
½ June 13, 2006
The second film of the series has its characters establishes and can dive right into the action packed story of Riggs and Murtaugh fighting racist South African diplomats. What the movie does really well is making those villains as evil and diabolic as you possibly can in a (somewhat) realistic movie. Of course, once the shit hits the fan, our heroes response is not for the wimpy and once again celebrates taking law into your own hands. That's questionable from a moral point of view, something you don't really notice if you've grown up with this film. That doesn't make the action or the jokes any less fun of course. The chemistry between Glover and Gibson still works wonders for the film.
November 28, 2009
To me, this is just as good as the original. It just has more of everything that made the characters and story great. The South African villains are some of the most vile out there. The fact that they push Mel Gibson into full fury mode is a true testament to their strength. The action in many ways is a lot bigger and more impressive, as is the relationship between Riggs and Murtaugh. Joe Pesci's addition to the cast only made the dynamics better, he's a common pest between the two that makes for some really funny scenes. What I really love about the series is that it doesn't feel like they made sequels, only continuations of the principle characters.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
It doesn't quite have the depth and pathos that the dfirst did, but this is nonetheless an exciting and worthy sequel, and a damn good stand alone film.

I like that the relationship between Riggs and Murtaugh is expanded upon, even if things take a slightly more comedic turn. Speaking of which, Joe Pesci is excellent here. It's not his best performance, but it's still pretty damn good. I like how all of these movies try to tie the story line into political or historical developments, and this one is no exception. The villains are pretty good, and it's a nice idea anyway.

The stunts and action sequences are outstanding, and the pacing is terrific. I was also happy with the balance between action, drama, and humor. This is a great film, and there's a lot to enjoy here.
August 4, 2006
More of the same from the parters in law, with a little more emphasis on Riggs back story and the introduction of Leo (Joe Pesci).

Lots more explosions!
September 24, 2009
My favourite of the 4 films I think! Is this the one with the toilet bomb?
½ August 28, 2007
I'm too old for this crap! ha ha ha yeah man never go board on this ride... still cool for me ^
October 11, 2007
This is actually just as good as the first if not slightly better. The baddies from South Africa are pretty cool and add a new twist as there're from somewhere different. The action is just as good, slightly lighter but not much and the cast are possibly better than before, the two leads really gelling well in their job and family lifes, the intro of great comedic relief Pesci and Ackland being a good boss. The other intro of O Connor playing the skinny martial arts expert and ice cold killer was a really nice touch. You really feel the need to kill him as the film goes on haha classic set pieces ensue again, the toilet bomb, Gibson fighting O Connor, bringing down the house on stilts and most things including Pesci. The Harris song 'Cheer Down' at the end credits is also a classic.
December 31, 2006
Faster and funnier than the first. More action, more laughs, and more thrills. A kick-ass sequel that beats it's original. An awsome action-comedy that brings even more fun and excitement.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 27, 2008
"The magic is back!"

Riggs and Murtaugh are on the trail of South African diplomats who are using their immunity to engage in criminal activities.

REVIEW
Lethal Weapon 2 reteams Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as, respectively, "loose cannon" LA detective Martin Riggs and Riggs' cautious family man partner Roger Murtaugh. The villain this time is a South African diplomat (Joss Ackland) who doubles as a drug dealer. Though Riggs knows what's going on thanks to characterless character witness Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), he can't touch the villain because of "diplomatic immunity." After perils too numerous to mention, Riggs and Murtaugh shoot it out with the heavies on the deck of a South African cargo ship. The film sometimes strains credulity to the breaking point, notably by having lead villain Joss Ackland turn out to be the same man who killed Mel Gibson's wife in the first Lethal Weapon. I loved this sequel adding Joe Pesci was a great move there and the "toilet bomb" scene is a movie classic. Lethal Weapon 2 was overall a very enjoyable and good sequel.
Chiefilms
½ March 2, 2008
Love the South African bad guys and Hollywood trying to cash in on the Apartheid struggle, Shane Black leaving robbed the franchise of its freshness.
July 30, 2007
Riggs should have died.
October 4, 2007
Undeniably entertaining but not as good as the first movie. The Apartheid-era plotline dates it considerably. This is still censored in the UK; even the 'Director's Cut' was cut.
thefog1331
June 6, 2007
My favorite action movie series of all time, the second is actually even better than the first.
½ January 27, 2007
Mel Gibson and Danny Glover return to kick heads and shoot bad guys for the second time, as Riggs and Murtaugh, the "Oscar and Felix" of law enforcement in "Lethal Weapon 2." This time

around, the boys are forced to become the 3 Stooges when they are assigned to guard a feisty, foul-mouthed federal witness named Leo Getz (the frantic Joe Pesci) from a group of sadistic Afrikaner thugs (led by the usually dark-natured character actor Joss Acklund). At the same time, Riggs meets a new love named

Rika (the hot Patsy Kensit), who happens to be a pawn in the

villain's dangerous games.

The action is faster and more furious in this sequel to the

slam-bang original. Even the banter gets a boost, thanks to the

added comedic riff by Pesci. Watch for his slightly annoying,

yet hilarious speech on a Subway tunafish sandwich!
June 21, 2007
Riggs: We're back, we're bad, you're black, I'm mad.

The same team returns for the sequel, which is of course bigger, badder, with more action and more comedy.

Roger Murtaugh: This was a new car, Riggs...
Martin Riggs: Well, it still is!

What's new is the addition of Joe Pesci who is hilarious. He is so perfect in this role.

This time, the duo are battling South African diplomats up to no good. All an excuse for some great action and comedy, as well as staying true to the characters by developing them further and sticking to what makes this series work.

Good stuff.

Martin Riggs: Police! Open up!
Leo Getz: How do I know it's the police?
Martin Riggs: After I shoot you through the door, you can examine the bullet. Open up!