Let's All Hate Toronto - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's All Hate Toronto Reviews

December 30, 2007
A decent little doc, but I feel it might be hard to watch if you're (a) born in Toronto and have never lived anywhere else, or (b) have lived anywhere in Canada but never in Toronto. Having grown up outside of Toronto but living here now, this was a good movie to watch and one that I really identified with. It was less factual and serious than I expected, but it was also more fun to watch than I expected, so I guess it balances out. The funny thing about this movie may be the way in which it necessarily plays into the anti-Toronto stereotype: though it's a movie about hating Toronto, it's nearly irrelevant to non-Torontonians, and is, in the end, an admitted reputation-reclamation project that only matters to the centre of its own universe: Toronto. That said, its point is well made: Toronto has not done itself many favours as far as upping its profile to the rest of Canada, and it may just be that no one quite hates Toronto the way that it hates itself - the city is depicted as one with something for everyone that is as a result conflicted, and perhaps paralyzed by it - criticisms come from both sides of every issue, and the city is damned if it does, and damned if it doesn't. Sharp, short movie and worth seeing.
½ December 2, 2007
Disappointingly dull, unfunny, unclever and only at times informative.
½ September 7, 2010
An ok idea of debunking the myths of why the rest of Canada hates Toronto and where all of the perspectives come from, but unfortunately despite a couple of interesting little factoids the doc comes across as unfunny and pretty amateurish along with the fact it seemed to be ripping off the styles of Spurlock and Moore the narrate its story rather than finding its own identity. Towards the end of the film the fact that the cameras turns on toronto itself and its own securities was probably the most engaging part but unfortunately came a little too late for me. Disappointing and would love to see the idea revisitied by another filmmaker at more length.
September 5, 2009
The Flixter description is so completely not what the film is. AT ALL. It's not about the Who.

It was an okay film, not likely to interest anyone who hasn't called Toronto home at one point or another
August 8, 2009
I really liked the premise of this film. Having lived in Toronto and enjoyed my time there and grown up in a part of the country that hates Toronto and "Upper Canada" in general, I think I hold an interesting perspective on the issue.

At first, I was laughing along like a good little viewer as Mr. Toronto makes his way from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia to PEI and then to Quebec. To Quebec? What the eff happened to New Brunswick? Some cross-country tour! Maybe that was the point of skipping my province? So that I would hate Toronto? Well, it worked. Well, at least he seemed to skip most of the Prairies too.

Seriously though, at some point in the film, the premise just wasn't enough to keep my interest. I must confess to falling asleep for the very end. And I blame the movie for that.

So, in the end, familiar landmarks and relatable Canadianism can only take a filmmaker so far. In the end, it doesn't leave me pondering why Canadians hate Toronto. Rather it leaves me asking, "Why do Canadians suck so bad at documentaries?"
March 5, 2009
A very funny look at Canada's obsession with a hatred of Toronto.
January 19, 2009
An important documentary examining Canada's nonsensical hatred of the greatest city in the entire universe. Why must you hate Toronto's humble magnificence Canada? Just embrace the greatest.
October 23, 2008
I live in Toronto, and I was totally unaware that my hometown was so hated across the country. After watching this movie, I can see why. Sorry, Canada! I just live here.
½ December 2, 2007
Disappointingly dull, unfunny, unclever and only at times informative.
½ August 17, 2008
Not bad look at Canada's continuing hatred of Toronto. The film is suppose to be tongue in cheek while trying to find the reason that the rest of Canada hates The Big Smoke. The filmmakers walk an uneasy line between serious and humour that really clashes with each other when trying to make a point at certain times. And even though I am from Winnipeg, I was really unimpressed that they skipped Saskatchewan and Manitoba while on their "Toronto Appreciation Day'" tour across the country. Lost alot of points with me on that one!
August 12, 2008
Cheesy as, but rather amusing to a point.
July 30, 2008
Nicely portrayed issue of a Canada's unification problems and how the politicians and people in all the provinces deal with it. He skipped right over the Prairies! Go figure. Ontario being one of the richer provinces, and Toronto, unlike Ottawa is targetted as arrogant, self-centered and money hungry. Do you agree? lol!! Mr. Toronto is hilarious! If he wasn't so brazen, don't think this film would have worked.
April 22, 2008
i wish i could get the time back.
½ April 21, 2008
An examination of Canada's hatred of its biggest, most-polluted, most artificial, hockey sucking city. There are many laughs in this movie which really doesn't take itself very seriously. I'd recommend it. The funny part is all the negative reviews of this movie on this board. Where do you suppose those people are from?
January 31, 2008
Not real documentary but catchy and thought-provoking movie. I found some similarity between Toronoto and Japan (especially Tokyo?!) in the way that they hate themselves.
But now I think this work is sucks!
April 1, 2008
Really funny and entertaining.
Witty, controversial and full of "laugh out loud" humour.
March 9, 2008
Subject matter is fine for me. No great arguements..... but the film is just awful. It's a almost funny joke that just goes on for WAY too long.....the documentary would have been better if you had mixed the first half with the last half. It seems to just break in the middle and then go on way too long. Could have been edited WAY better. Sorry, but it sucks.
March 5, 2008
A charming mockumentary that may not be without controversy, but it's nevertheless a poignant love letter to the city we all love to hate - and secretely want to move to.
½ February 19, 2008
I must admit the provocative title suckered me into watching this one... but a royal letdown as the film unraveled. I suppose I had somewhat high expectations for this one, seeing as the content hit fairly close to home, but the film essentially lost my attention span halfway in, turning what could have been a very humorous take on perceptions of Toronto, into a real yawn, with the focus turning more and more on the jackass with the patch than what the film initially intended to set out to do. 1 and a 1/2 stars, and thats only because I stuck it out until the end of the film to see if it would surprise me. Unsurprisingly, it didn't.
February 8, 2008
Hilarious documentary!
I found myself literally always going "that's so true".. haha

We really all do hate Toronto!