• PG-13, 1 hr. 27 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Liar Liar Reviews

Eugene B

May 6, 2013
The story is clever and to top it off, the over-the-top hysteria of one Jim Carrey gives audiences every reason to laugh. Liar Liar gives the honest-to-God truth and keeps you laughing towards the end. 5/5
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 10, 2011
Max Reede: I wish, for just one day, Dad couldn't tell a lie.

"Would I lie to you?"

Here's the thing with Liar Liar; it's just not funny. It's not and even everyone involved knows it isn't. When a concept comedy, like this should have been, is turned into an all out silly, gag fest; it undermines the genre. The concept isn't bad. A lawyer can't lie for a day because his son, whom he is constantly lying to, makes a wish that for one day he won't. It could lead to some funny court room scenes, but instead the movie rides on Jim Carey's Ace Ventura character's manifest. It's all too ridiculous to find funny.

I don't dislike Jim Carey. His form of comedy works in some movies, but I don't think this is one of them. Also, I believe Carey really can act if he throws the ridiculous demeanor aside and truly just acts, like in Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. This movie really falls apart with me after we have to constantly see Carey's character screaming and twitching and God knows what else.

I wouldn't go as far as to say this is a terrible movie because it has good intentions, and good intentions are good. I just think it is badly judged and goes in the complete wrong direction from where it should have. Obviously a lot of people love this movie, and for what reason, I'll never know. Even for the Jim Carey comedies that are ridiculous, this one falls very, very low for me. Watch it if you must, but just know, it's no classic.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
I love this movie! I think its great, i love the concept and its truly an original highly amusing movie that Jim Carrey is perfect for!
A great movie for the whole family and well worth the watch!
Albert K

November 27, 2011
Entertaining but wildly outlandish. Typical Jim Carrey craziness. Didn't find anything particularly great about this movie.
Scott G

October 29, 2011
One of Jim's strongest, funniest performance to date, and I do wish he returned to being funny in his films, but enough of that.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 23, 2011
Liar Liar is one of the first film of Jim Carrey's I didn't enjoy. The film has some laughs, but overall, the film is a mediocre comedy that fails. There are some laughs here, and there, but overall the film doesn't hold up, and is boring. Comedies are supposed to be fun, and yes, Liar Liar is fun, but after a while the film falls apart. Liar Liar is really one of the first comedies that Jim Carrey really failed to impress me. I didn't like it, and really it's a film that doesn't stand the test of time. Rewatching it now the film is a mediocre comedy that strained gags. Some of them are funny, but the film feels too cheesy and too sentimental at times. The film could have been much better than this, and there's potential for a really funny film here. However most of the time, the jokes are tiring and uninspired. There's some laughs to be had here, but not as much as you'd expect. Most of the time, the jokes are unfunny, and try too hard at making you laugh. I think a good comedy should be effortless at making laugh, this is where Liar Liar fails. The film adds too much sentimentality, that feels too cheesy and quite frankly boring. This could have been a great comedy, and though there are some funny bits, it's not enough redeem a lacking comedy that relies more on unimpressive gags to try to make you laugh.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

September 20, 2011
Liar Liar is a more sophisticated Ace Ventura: Pet Detective that works on many levels. Its smart, its witty and its funny.
Tyler K

August 3, 2011
The pen is blue!!! Yes, I did really enjoy this film, much like Carrey's other works, most notably The Cable Guy, Dumb & Dumber, and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. This film is funny, smart, and cannot tell a lie after the first 20 minutes! The only thing that really was sour to me was the fact that it had that magical feel to it. The plot it (no spoilers) that a man named Fletcher Reede just flat out lies way to much. Some times he lies on accident, but most it's on purpose. When he says he was going to his ex-son's birthday party, he ends having an affair with his customer instead, so he can "strengthen the relationship of his job as a lawyer." Young Max (his ex-son) then wishes that he can't make a lie for another 24 hours, making his life and job as a LAWYER (think about it) very chaotic. But that's not the only problem. He must also prove to his ex-wife, Audrey, that he isn't a lying scum bucket after all, before she goes and moves with her boyfriend, (404 Name Not Remembered), and he'll never see Max ever again. Despite sounding not very funny, it is... use your imagination. Oh, and watch the movie... please? Oh great, that isn't the magic word of today! D:
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Who wouldn't like for their birthday wish to come true? Not just kids, of course. In this movie a kid's wish does come true, with funny consequences for his father. This movie is hilarious, made at the height of Carrey's popularity. If you're a fan of his or just love comedy, you should see this movie.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Your average funny film. A few scenes were I laughed uncontrolably but that's about it really.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 5, 2011
Jim Carrey at his best. This movie is funny, smart, and moving. But trust, its mostly funny.
Shawn E

March 23, 2011
This film is all about the morals of lying and the hilarious talent of Jim Carrey. There is never any holding back or a dull moment in Carrey's wild performances and this film is no exception.
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 27, 2008
Shows you that lying doesn't last forever :) A definite great watch! :)
Richard C

July 21, 2010
I thought it was funny but not hilarious. There were some parts that I laughed out loud. There also are some parts where Jim Carrey acts like a dumbass and makes wierd noises and it just annoys me in this movie. There are some really stupid parts too and espicially at the end of the movie when he was able to keep up with the plane on that little cart thing. I liked it but not a great movie.

Grade: B-
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
A decent Carrey comedy that was funny, but still as zany and non-level headed as Carrey.
TheGame90
TheGame90

September 14, 2010
Jim Carrey is fun....but this is just too much Jim Carrey....it's good....but there's just too much of him
deano
deano

July 8, 2007
Really HILARIOUS and I love it! This becomes one of my number 1 favourite Jim Carrey's funniest movie and 90s comedy classic. Jim Carrey puts so much energy and his comedic performances and he is well supported by the likes of Jennifer Tilly, Swoosie Kurtz and Amanda Donohue. I loved almost as much as Carrey's rubber mouth and oral blockage (like an overheated boiler fighting not to explode) was the premise: a lawyer that can't lie.
I bloody couldn't stop laughing heaps when I watch it again and always hurt my stomach.
Lady D

March 26, 2007
One of Carrey's best, making the use of all his verbal and visual talents. A moralistic tale and on that works nicely with the Liar/Lawyer theeme - Justice doesn't work out right!

Comical consequences of a fairy tale plot.
KJ P

January 29, 2010
Very funny! sadly, I have to say, that yes I do love this movie, but the only reason that I love it, is because it is amazingly hilarious! There's nothing much else to love, and the only good aspects of this movie, are the funny parts, which is every scene:)