Libeled Lady Reviews

½ September 7, 2011
Altho billed with Harlow as the star don't t be fooled. Powell and Loy had already struck box office gold 2 years previously with The Thin Man and so this is really their movie, the studio cashing in on their undenible chemistry together. Harlow and Tracy are only second bananas in this poor second cousin to a screwball comedy. Harlow is in fact wasted as a shrew while Tracy fares only a little better as a foil to Powell. Ultimately a disappointment though.
rubystevens
February 7, 2011
right up there with the classic screwball comedies. no idea why it isn't more well known. scenes between powell and tracy are pure gold
September 3, 2010
I can't seem to remember much about this movie right now, and reading the synopsis just confused me more. Obviously I gave it four stars, so I enjoyed it, but I'll have to see it again to see why.
MissMorganLeee
April 12, 2010
Not what I was expecting. Truth be told I found it a bit disapointing. I just felt there could have been more comdey and less drama. And Ik that the drama is what makes this movie so funny, but somehow it just didnt feel right. It was off by about a quarter of an inch. All the leads are great of corse. I didnt really care for Spencer Tracy or his character though. And lets talk about how Jean Harlows Character gets totally ripped off and confused at the end. Sad. :( But all in all for one of those classics, you have to see it.
mwilliams078
January 14, 2008
This has to be one of my favorite screwball comedies. This grand film from MGM studios stars the best coupings of; Myrna Loy, Williams Powell. Spencer Tracy, & Jean Harlow.

I love this film and it is truly a flm on top of my MUST SEE list. No matter in this comedy whom you end up with you are a winer no matter what. Other than the hit Thin Man series this is the other best vehicle for Loy & Powell. And the powers of Harlow & Tracy make it a very special comedy with great costumes, funny story line and more. Check this comedy staple out!
May 27, 2007
A fun and witty movie with an incredible cast. One of the great classic underrated screwball comedies of the 30s. This was the first Jean Harlow movie I've seen and my interest is definitely piqued. Spencer Tracy proves that he was just as great at comedic roles as he was at dramatic ones. And of course Powell and Loy are nothing short of stupendous here as they share tender and silly scenes here--the raft scene really sticks out as does the fly fishing scene. Damn fun stuff.
jjnxn
March 27, 2007
four classic stars working at full steam
November 25, 2013
A great madcap comedy with its characters in a whirlwind to prevent a libel suit. Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy and Bill Powell up the ante on the screwball by playing off of each other marvelously.
January 3, 2009
If William Powell, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy, & Jean Harlow are all in a movie together then you know it's greatness. Very entertaining screwball comedy with a rare teaming of Spencer Tracy and William Powell, who are great and I would have liked to see them do more films together. A must see if you are a fan of the actors or the genre.
December 13, 2014
Great interplay between all four leads made this one I was happy to finally cross off my list of shame. Myrna Loy and William Powell have never let me down.

Recommended.
March 19, 2008
Funny film. I thought William Powell, Spenser Tracy, and Myrna Loy were really good. Jean Harlow seemed to overact (in my opinion), and it would have been better with someone else. Too bad Katherine Hepburn wasn't involved. She would have carried that part with more dignity and still had the spark they were looking for. But I think it was still pretty funny in spite of Harlow's overdramatization.
February 14, 2015
Hard to go wrong with all star cast such as this, I loved the Newspaper plot since I worked for newspapers not too many years after the film was released. The comedy almost had a slapstick genre to it. A fun movie to watch in this day & age. alot of lines to remember and a little fast for the the time window, I'd have like too seen it slowed down just a bit, but still well worth the 5 star rating I gave it.
½ December 23, 2014
I don't know if this is officially a screwball comedy (or a comedy of remarriage, as many of them were) but it is pretty damn close. Myrna Loy and William Powell are delicious as usual (as the libeled young lady in question and the man hired to get her to drop her lawsuit, respectively) but throw in Spencer Tracy (brash newspaperman, of course) and Jean Harlow (his gal, who marries Powell who aims to seduce Loy so Harlow can sue for alienation of affection thus throwing the libel suit against Tracy's newspaper into doubt) and you've got the goods. The plot/plan in that last parenthetical naturally does not go off without a hitch - but things work out anyway (or do they?). The four stars are at the top of their game and the script rolls merrily along, inexorably to a complicated comedic conclusion. Great fun!
½ October 8, 2014
There is one genre of film that you cannot call subpar, dime-a-dozen, or tired. That genre is the screwball comedy. The reason a screwball comedy can never be mediocre is, in order to be a screwball comedy, you must have fantastic actors, lightning quick dialogue, and a plot that sometimes can't seem to catch up to with the trailblazing actors. You can't call yourself a screwball comedy: you must be called one. That narrows it down, doesn't it?
"Libeled Lady" is neither the best nor the worst screwball comedy (there isn't necessarily a worst, but the best is a tie between "His Girl Friday" and "My Man Godfrey"), but it's a mega-delight. Seeing William Powell and Myrna Loy coupling up for the umpteenth time is always a pleasure, but in "Libeled Lady", they're teamed with Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy, and the results couldn't be any more fun.
The film opens with a shocking newspaper headline: socialite Connie Allenbury (Loy) is a husband stealer! One can hardly believe that Myrna Loy would do something so utterly distasteful, and we're right. It's a case of mistaken identity, but Connie is filthy rich and won't ignore a simple case of error. She decides the best thing to do is to sue the newspaper for $5 million on libel charges.
Editor-in-chief Warren Haggerty (Tracy) already has a bitter fiancé, Gladys (Harlow), tugging on his sleeve, waiting to get married, and the libel suit only makes for a tipping point. Desperate, he comes up with a diabolical yet genius idea. He hires Bill Chandler (Powell), a former employee in serious need of a job, to marry Gladys and court Connie. That way, Connie would actually be a husband stealer. But of course, as they get to know each other, Bill and Connie fall in love; and Gladys, who is so desperate to be a wife, begins to get jealous of Connie, naturally.
With a movie so glamorous, it's hard to believe that in 1936, most people lived in shacks, not mansions. "Libeled Lady" is so smoothly entertaining that we get lost in its madcap situations, and most likely, so did the audiences that lived in shacks. The film is pure escapism, and, nowadays, movies are so cynical that even a little bit of schmaltz is shot down.
"Libeled Lady" doesn't need to be sentimental to be light and entertaining - even the ending, which resolves everything with the simplicity of a Disney movie, is cleverly placed. The romances are as equally uncontrived: Warren and Gladys have that hateship loveship that old married couples carry around, and Connie and Bill's courtship is a series of witty lines and playful jabs at romance. When they dance together for the first time, Connie asks Bill what he thinks of her eyes; it's clear she expects him to compare them to the moon, the stars, anything syrupy. But he instead remarks that they look like angry marbles, and it's unexpected but perfect.
The cast has great chemistry, with Powell and Harlow as the biggest standouts. Powell is always a joy to watch as the slippery son-of-a-bitch that is too likable for his own good, and Harlow is a knockout as the loudmouthed, severely-spoiled, love hungry pawn. While it may have been labeled as a vehicle for the latter, "Libeled Lady" ends up being a glamorous and whip-smart ensemble comedy. It's an underrated screwball comedy for sure.
½ September 16, 2014
A very entertaining comedy movie from 1936.
July 7, 2013
Libeled Lady is an excellent film. It is about a newspaper man, his jilted fiancée, and his lawyer who hatch an elaborate scheme to turn a false news-story into the truth, before a high-society woman can sue for libel. Jean Harlow, William Powell, and Myrna Loy give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jack Conway did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. Libeled Lady is a must see.
½ June 4, 2013
While not a true screwball comedy, this skewering of tabloid media is worth watching more than once. Some of the jokes fall flat; but then we can enjoy the reactions of the actors as they struggle through the scene (much like Bullwinkle Moose never getting his magic tricks quite right). Somehow it works without insulting our imagination or intelligence.
June 2, 2013
Even though Harlow played her usual character in her usual way, I found myself laughing out loud at times. So many old pros in this movie...and such a pleasure to see. You know the destination of the script in the first ten minutes; it doesn't matter because the trip is so much fun.
January 6, 2013
Entertaining comedy in which a newspaper editor (Spencer Tracy) writes an offensive, highly inaccurate article about a woman (Myrna Loy) who stole her husband's fortune. She sues and it screws over himself and his fiancée (Jean Harlow), to whom he delays the wedding of in order concentrate on preventing the suit. In order to do so though, he arranges for a man (William Powell) to falsely marry his fiancée and then court the wealthy woman, to initiate a new scandal to counteract the original one. Surprisingly funny comment has many nice moments and it is interesting how the stars of "The Thin Man" franchise are found within this film, though they do play the same characters. Likable performances particularly from Powell and Loy.
December 9, 2012
I understand during the making of this film the roles of Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow were originally cast opposite but the success of The Thin Man caused the producers to reverse the roles. Myrna Loy is her ever beautiful and charming self, Spencer Tracy is the weak link in my opinion but I would recommend this film