Made for the Academy?

Judging by the positive reviews and the content of the film I've seen so far, this kind of resembles a made for the Oscars kind of cutesy film. I'm reminded of Slumdog Millionaire The Artist and Forrest Gump three movies which are good but by far not the best of their years in which they were released. Just thinkin out loud here.
Zane B
11-16-2012 06:46 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Not everyone is lining up to praise this film; I recommend a more nuanced review, like that of Emmanuel Levy, which notes that while its a visual feast, Life of Pi falls short of being a masterpiece.

Neither do I think this movie will win best picture -- good chance it will be nominated, but I think (just a projection) the award will come down to between Les Mes. and Argo.

Finally, I'm curious -- which movie do you think should've beat out the Artist?

Nov 25 - 12:55 PM

Tevi Supangat

Tevi Supangat

maybe Chum Chum thinks about 'Hugo' but imho 'The Artist' is the best for last year..

Nov 28 - 09:23 AM

Jared Thomas

Jared Thomas

Heresy!

Nov 25 - 10:29 AM

Blair Van Loan

Blair Van Loan

Chum Chum, you are right in my opinion. The movie is not that great but everyone seems to be lining up to say what a great accomplishment it is. I wish that this movie could be judged purely on it's merits without the book as a reference (Lee get's credit for bringing this unfilmable book to screen). In truth, the Life of Pi falls way short of being a great film. BTW - I loved the book and hate when people say the obvious, "the book was better than the movie" line. I didn't want it to be as good as the book or "true to the book". I just wanted it to be entertaining.

Nov 24 - 08:12 PM

Antonia Y.

Antonia York

I think is a great movie and a great adaptation. Ang Lee worked the visual part incredible well and the subject of faith too. It has heart and wonderful effects. The Academy should recognize that.

Nov 19 - 03:09 PM

D.j. Tyson

D.j. Tyson

Or it's just made for people who enjoy artfully made movies.

Nov 18 - 12:21 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Agreed. It's okay to like Beasts of the Southern Wild (to use an example from this year) and others, if it's your cup of tea. Sorry if people conflate that with movies "for the academy."

Nov 25 - 12:51 PM

Jitendra Chalke

Jitendra Chalke

Not all movies which has Indian theme needs to be considered as Slumdog millionaire

Nov 16 - 03:36 PM

Tom Ross

Tom Ross

What on earth are you talking about? OF COURSE IT NEEDS TO BE!!!

Nov 17 - 05:07 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

I guess you didn't notice I said Forres Gump and The Artist aswell hell I'll throw in Dances With Wolves....read what I actually said. And the theme of Life of Pi has little to do with India either

Nov 18 - 10:43 AM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Not gonna lie, Slumdog Millionaire was on my mind a lot while watching this movie, and afters I kept thinking it reminded me of 127 Hours for some reason. This movie is a Danny Boyle movie expect not at all.

Nov 24 - 09:44 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

I haven't seen Life of Pi, but I believe the father in the movie also appears in Slumdog Millionaire

Nov 25 - 12:49 PM

Prashanth Ashokan

Prashanth Ashokan

No. Only the guy who plays elder Pi plays a cop in Slumdog...Irrfan Khan

Nov 27 - 08:35 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile