Were the animals in Life of Pi real?

Dear Tamara Andrews, Animal Trainer for LIFE OF PI

Wait a second. Were the animals in Life of Pi real? Or were they simply the fabrications of talented storytelling? No, that can?t be true. How else can you explain your role on set? Surely you had to struggle with real flesh-and-blood tigers, zebras, and orangutans. As the story unfolds, however, I?ll be damned if I could tell where reality ended and invention began. I just believed... (CONT'D)

http://www.dearcastandcrew.com/letters/2012/11/26/life-of-pi.html
DearCastAndCrew
11-30-2012 01:56 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Matthew Balenko

Matthew Balenko

the tiger was real! He recently died and was from my hometown (the tiger was only used in shots without anyone else) CGI was for most of the tiger scenes though...

Apr 4 - 09:00 PM

Rick G.

Rick Gibson

All were cgi except the humpback whale, that was obviously real

Mar 17 - 06:37 PM

JEYARAMS

Jeyaraman Sundararajan

No,It's just good visual effects

Mar 17 - 07:04 AM

Yolanda Holly

Yolanda Holly

Extremely clever and creative way of putting things into perspective. Must see in 3D.

Feb 26 - 12:52 AM

Mike Payne

Mike Payne

I thought it was a beautifully shot and well acted film. How it ends and with what story is the viewers choice. Both stories mirror each other and this becomes clearer on a second viewing of the film. When Pi stands up to the hyena/chef, the tiger/Pi is revealed and must be tamed and lived with. Would much rather have thought provoking films like this, that creates discussion than endless transformers sequels.

Jan 28 - 01:07 PM

Jason M.

Jason McCann

You cannot train animals to do what they did in this film.

Jan 28 - 06:32 AM

Alan DeMellow

Alan DeMellow

The main character Pi was a vegetarian who only ate meat once during the movie, and only as a last resort. The rest of the movie depicted only animals eating other animals. If you find that truely upsetting - Why?

Jan 19 - 05:24 AM

Rodri Da Costa Martins

Rodri Da Costa Martins

(SPOILER ALERT) As Pi says in the end it's totally your choice to belive if they were real or not

Jan 8 - 03:13 AM

Kristi Crusan

Kristi Crusan

Wow! I'm super embarrassed for each of you. You missed the poignancy and symbolism of the movie! Sharma's acting was amazing as you saw his plight of the human spirit. While, yes... animals getting hurt is upsetting... the injuries were all CGI. (I wonder if you would have had the same reaction to seeing a WWII movie or any of the thousands of action films put out regularly (it's only people being injured afterall)). The fact that you were uneasy about their suffering is the point. It was a traumatic and triumphant event. Truly inspiring. I'm sorry that you missed that.

Jan 6 - 01:01 PM

This comment has been removed.

?? ?

?? ?

You may just too young to understand the movie. Go to a theater and watch it again. Pay attention to each word and each scene. Look for the meanings hidden behind the story.

Jan 7 - 09:58 PM

This comment has been removed.

Georgia-Elle Macaulay

Georgia-Elle Macaulay

I totally agree!

Jan 4 - 04:24 AM

Jackie Penny

Jackie Penny

I totally DISagree !!!

Jan 6 - 11:42 AM

Renante Bana-ag

Renante Bana-ag

i totally agree by totally disagree.. hmmmm... im a bit lost?

Jan 13 - 10:10 PM

Nix Samson

Nix Samson

being graphic, its is still called the circle of life.

Jan 20 - 08:56 AM

Leah Szpak

Leah Szpak

unfortunately, I believe most of the animals were CGI, which makes Sharma's performance as a first time actor even more impressive.

Dec 23 - 07:17 AM

Chantal van der Ende-Appel

Chantal van der Ende-Appel

UNfortunately?! So you were hoping that all of the animal suffering was REAL?!

Feb 27 - 01:53 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Suffering? It's a damn movie. It's not real. Grow up.

Mar 11 - 11:02 AM

Andrew

Drew May

It's your choice.

Dec 8 - 03:33 PM

Nina Ismail

Nina Ismail

No its not. But still..it makes my soul cry for the tiger.

Dec 4 - 05:24 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Would you please stop spamming the RT forum pages? Thanks.

Nov 30 - 11:26 PM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile