20% The Identical Sep 05

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Reviews

August 31, 2014
The most eccentric of Wes Anderson movies without a doubt, that however It's maybe the best. It's funny, it's nostalgic, sad, happy, energetic, stylish to the bone, realistic but also fantastic. It's a complex movie that life in the thin line of what it is real, or possible, and unreal, or impossible. It's blue as the sea but warm as the fire. Fantastically written and performed this is a masterpiece, a very big jaguar shark waiting to be discovered.
August 11, 2014
A truly original tale about fatherhood and the quest of self-discovery, Anderson is a director like no other, both heartbreaking and uplifting.
Charlie S.
August 11, 2014
This movie truly does not deserve the mixed reception it has received from critics. As a recently christened WA fan, I finally got around to sitting to watch The Life Aquatic, after seeing the name floating around for the past 10 years. I found this film to be fantastic, and above all unique in a way which few movies have managed in recent years. I feel that it has been panned by some critics as they are somehow disappointed to see WA demonstrate his classic cinematic and directive techniques - but that is really the charm of this film. The use of stop motion animation was a delight to see, as it has sadly fallen into disuse. It is the originality of this film that has made it so lasting and I think I can safely say that it is now one of my top 20 movies of all time. Sometimes (okay, more often than sometimes) the critics really need to be ignored in favour of audience opinion. This film cannot be overanalysed, only taken at face value - and at that, it is remarkable. Please do not be rebuffed by its critical rating, and give this movie a try. You won't regret it.
August 10, 2014
There's one thing Wes Anderson's films constantly had--personalities. Endearing ones. Pacing evidently improved with his later movies, as this film felt a little bit like a test in the waters (pun semi-intended) when you know his signature films. But we see a beginning to a style in colors, themes, sensitivities, theatricality, and an intricate kind of simplicity.

P.S. They had me at unpaid interns.
August 9, 2014
The Life Aquatic left much to be desired. Mainly the time I wasted watching it. Stepping into this movie was like entering a crowded of your friends whom are laughing at an inside joke you were never apart of. You sit there thinking, "Am I missing something." I enjoy feeling immersed into movies. But with this I was distant and well aware I was just on a couch watching a screen. The whole time I couldn't tell whether the movie was taking itself seriously or not. If it was than its not backing itself up. If not than the irony isn't prevalent enough for me tag along in the whimsy. So many moments in the movie I couldn't tell whether I was watching exposition of just pointless film time. Regardless nothing brought me close to the characters. None of which were relatable; I couldn't find anything to get behind.

The movies slow pace had me checking the clock frequently, with the "high points" being few and far between. Even calling itself a comedy was a bit offensive. Sure I chuckled a few times but each laugh was followed by a good twenty to thirty minutes of boredom before the next joke. At each moment I was thinking about how relieved I would be when it's over, but at a few times I believed I'd fell into quick sand and I'd be watching this movie forever. Luckily the end came leaving me wondering, "What was I suppose to get out of that?" The movie can mainly be summed up as uneventful and (with hopes) forgettable. I'm starting to feel that the person who had me watch it (my brother) was trying to get back at me for something. Even he fell asleep 15 minutes in.

I'll admit that I appreciate the attempt at artistic liberties taken in many scenes and concepts of the movie. In that I appreciate the effort. Even the cast was stunning and at times a bit moving. Regardless, no matter how many salts and spices you add to rotten meat, it's still rotten meat.
Giovanni M.
August 8, 2014
Bursting with original ideas and charm, The Life Aquatic is another quirky Anderson masterpiece.
August 6, 2014
Szórakoztató, de ha már Wes Anderson, akkor nem ez a legjobb.
Huai I.
August 2, 2014
Yes, Murray is hot. But this could have been so much more...
July 27, 2014
the detail of the settings were simply amazing
July 21, 2014
I have fairly neutral feelings about the films of Wes Anderson but I enjoyed this one. Weird, but not to the point of absurdity. The comedic bits hit their mark. The emotional bits usually hit theirs. The acting is great . As with any Wes Anderson film, there's a fair amount of useless scenes but they at least they set the mood properly. Worth a try if you're looking for comfy fun
July 8, 2014
Not up to the usual standards of Wes Anderson. The story is slow, but some of the quirk & style still shines through.
July 13, 2014
Despite a rather awkward ending, Wes Anderson still manages to pull off a beautifully artistic piece of cinema.
July 1, 2014
This is the second Wes Anderson film I've seen and I absolutely loved it. It's completely unique and original, featuring Anderson's trademark dry humor. Bill Murray is absolutely fantastic and is surrounded by a terrific supporting cast. There are some truly hilarious moments in this film. It's all presented beautifully on Blu-ray by The Criterion Collection.
July 1, 2014
Quirky, fun, and stylish. All the hallmarks of an Anderson film.
Matt H.
June 25, 2014
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou has all the quirky, familiar elements of an Anderson film, but with less wit and intelligence than the rest of them. Just like the deep sea cruiser Team Zissou is in, the movie sinks and sinks until it reaches rock bottom. Murray and Wilson just barely make it watchable, even if the forced irony is over the top.