Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows Reviews

hunterjt13
January 29, 2011
Though it won critical accolades and multiple television awards, this film is truly awful. Most notably, the story doesn't have a discernible structure; Garland's life starts low, then goes up, then down, then up, then I don't even know. It's a roller coaster ride that loops every fifteen minutes, and the film needs a guiding hand to help us understand the significance of what we're watching. Indeed, though the film presents these characters honestly, I don't understand what the filmmakers are saying about these people. Why is their story significant? What can we learn from them? How can these particulars become universal? There is shallow attempt at such a theme in the film's last line, but this comes off as abstract moralizing and is too late to give the film any skeleton.
Judy Davis does what contemporary Judy Davis does best: scream and carry on. She doesn't sing, allowing lip synching and some guy backstage with a boombox to do all the work.
Overall, this film ends up being moralistic bullshit, and we have to navigate mountains of pointlessness to get there.
September 21, 2007
I liked it, but I like anything with and/or about Judy Garland.
jjnxn
April 29, 2009
Wonderful performances from Judy Davis and Tammy Blanchard as older and young Judy make this compelling if sad viewing.
deano
April 30, 2007
Judy Davis makes an absolutely performance as an extraordinary portrayal of famed singer Judy Garland in this brilliant Hollywood biographic film based on the book by Judy's daughter Lorna Luft.
½ May 1, 2008
This was a beautiful presentation of Judy. Judy Davis was really perfect. Hugh Laurie was right on the money.
½ June 10, 2007
While this movie isn't quite accurate and the performances aren't amazing, it's definitely the best bio pic I've seen. Coming from a huge Judy fan, that's quite a compliment.
May 21, 2012
Judy Davis is wonderful as Judy Garland, she resembles the legendary star a lot. The film successes in showing Garland's raise to fame and quick downhill due to her mental problems and many addictions. There's something about this made - for - TV movies that HBO doesn't produce that just doesn't look well, I guess it is the pace of the story and the limited budget, maybe the format. I don't know. The other thing I didn't like very much was the lenght, too long.
November 7, 2010
it's the greatest re-creation of Judy Garland's life story one could ever see. Davis did an excellent portrayal of this exceptional legend.