Lifeforce Reviews

Cory T
October 14, 2013
A tribute to the Quatermass serials of yesteryear as well as a hodgepodge of other elements, 'Lifeforce' is one of the most messily dazzling science-fiction epics of the last quarter-century. Tobe Hooper was still in an experimental phase after 'Poltergeist' was wrested away from him by producer Steven Spielberg. The opening music with the London Symphony Orchestra reminds one of '2001' but the film quickly deviates into more addlepated territory. The film is very episodic in nature and it hopscotches from cosmic vampires to telepathic interspecies links to an apocalyptic movie. Dan O'Bannon and Don Jakoby are from the kitchen-sink school and they toss every wildly bombastic idea into the soufflé and for the most part, 'Lifeforce' is successful in its ambitiously lofty goals. The mammoth set aboard the 150-mile long spaceship are quite breathtaking in their scale for a Cannon production. Of course, any movie where Steve Railsback kisses Patrick Stewart because he is a female avatar isn't lacking a morbid sense of humor. For those with a strictly lustful interest in the film, Mathilda May's curvaceous body is on full display throughout most of the movie. As a style-over-substance picture, 'Lifeforce' is thunderously awe-inspiring and reconfirms Hooper's grasp of outlandish horror (the reanimated skeletons are undeniably goofy puppets).
TheDudeLebowski65 TheDudeLebowski65
August 15, 2011
Tobe Hooper has always pushed the envelope in terms of delivering effective horror to an audience. This is one of those horror films that takes a few viewings to really get into due to the fact that it's quite bizarre and eccentric. The premise is quite interesting, but does leave something to be desired. The film boasts some impressive sequences of terror with great gore. Lifeforce is an interesting concept for a film that is based around space vampires, and with that being said, it is an idea that should have been great, but as it stands, only ends up being good. I say that because the final act of the film leaves a lot to be desired and with we've seen in the impressive first hour and a half, the ending is a bit disappointing, and you can clearly see that the filmmakers were struggling with the ending. Despite its ending, this is an accomplished horror film that relies on great effects and a well structured plot to terrify and immerse the viewer into the film. This may not be the best Tobe Hooper film, but it is quite overlooked. I admit I really didn't enjoy this one upon a first viewing, but after watching the director's cut of the film, which is far superior, I really got into this one. The film is bizarre, but it tries to be different, and it works well enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. The ending could have been reworked, but overall this is a good film that should be seen by Tobe Hooper fans. Lifeforce is not a great film, but it is a good horror yarn that tries to do something different in the medium, and it does it in a way to make you take notice and appreciate what the filmmakers have done here. This is an overlooked picture that is far better the second time around, and ranks up there as among Hooper's most eccentric works.
blkbomb blkbomb
½ August 27, 2011
Space Girl: The web of destiny carries your blood and soul back to the genesis of my lifeform.

"In a blink of an eye, the terror begins."

Lifeforce is the first Tobe Hooper film I haven't liked. Granted I have only seen four of  his movies. But I loved the other three I have seen; Poltergeist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Funhouse. Poltergeist and TCM are considered two elite films when it comes to the horror genre. But Lifeforce is borderline unwatchable. It's ridiculous but cool premise washes away after about 20 minutes and starts becoming a boring mix of vampires and zombies.

When the best part of a movie is a vampires body, then there's something really wrong with the movie. I hate to say it but when they put clothes on the girl is when I lost interest. There was something watchable about a naked girl walking slowly around and causing crazy stuff to happen that didn't translate well to that same girl walking around in clothes causing crazy stuff to happen.

Lifeforce is a bad sci-fi film. It's definitely not very memorable like Poltergeist or TCM, or even The Funhouse. It's not fun to watch and actually just keeps getting more and more boring as the movie goes on. It's not really worth a look unless you like bad horror movies a lot. But be aware that this movie doesn't fall into the so bad, it's good category of horror. It's just bad.
BEACHBUNNI BEACHBUNNI
April 23, 2011
A British and American joint shuttle mission (aboard the shuttle Churchill) is up above the earths atmosphere doing research on the comet when they notice something weird clinging onto the front of it and they get a radar readout and see that it is a craft of some sort, the crew is able to get the shuttle close enough to do a spacewalk and investigate the craft and Col. Tom Carlsen takes his crew into an open spot and sees hundreds of dead bat like creatures, and they have been drained of all of their fluids. While investigating, a portal opens up and the crew decides to go inside to check out whats actually in the inner layer of the ship. They discover three human figures, two male and one female enclosed in some sort of crystal cases. They are all drawn to the figures and loosen their cases and bring them back upon the ship. 30 days later the shuttle is due to arrive back on earth, but when they hear no radio communication, another shuttle is dispatched to dock up with them and find out what went wrong, the entire crew of the original shuttle is found to be burnt to a crisp and the three alien figures are brought back to earth. funnily enough, the escape pod from the shuttle is missing.......
AJ V
September 6, 2010
This is a very interesting movie it's a sci-fi vampire movie. It's unique and very interesting to watch, if you like sci-fi movies and vampire movies you should check this one out.
flixsterman flixsterman
January 11, 2009
Poor Mathilda May. The only thing more sparse than her dialog was her wardrobe.
Adam M
½ July 4, 2010
Possibly a whole movie about the fear of orgasm, particularly inside someone you may be in love with ... Anyway, the light-energy effects are incredible and the animatronic/make-up effects are good rip-offs of the films of the time (The Thing, Return of the Living Dead). Unique and ripe for a contemporary rip-off: a glob of blood and tissue suspended in the air and transforming into... The plot is interesting but sprawls with half-concepts. The exploration of the alien craft sequence is cut short of the dread that would have played out. It's like a birth canal or uterus lined with metallic edges of geometric teeth and strung with huge fanged bat-like creatures which may only be sleeping. "I feel I've been here before ..." the hero says. Whenever the movie starts to freak out about sex and desire and death, it decides to make a joke out of itself. Mathilda May is the only actor who refuses to play to the ham humor aspect of the script. She's great and not only because of her body. She knows that when she gets her clothes off, the joke's on the men.
Anthony L
September 30, 2009
Absolutely fantastic! Sci-fi vampires, zombies, murderous (and naked) woman destroying human kind in this, very British fantasy extravaganza! Great effects, great (Bad) acting, this is the last great B-movie! Sure its borrowed some ideas but just watch it and see how many films have ripped it off. I love it!
366weirdmovies 366weirdmovies
September 25, 2009
A naked space vampire looses an apocalyptic plague upon London. A fun b-movie that's not afraid to look ridiculous; Mathilda May is stunningly perfect as the naked vampire, and it's her almost constantly nude performance that everyone remembers most.
_kelly .
September 5, 2008
Texas Chainsaw Massacre messiah Tobe Hooper shows us his big invasion/human plague movie using extraterrestrial psychic vampires smuggled to Earth via Halley's Comet and then a crew aboard the space station Churchill, monitoring it. Once the plague hits Earth, the male protagonist is already set on a quest for the female antagonist. Nice modern adaptation of the Dracula themes, especially in terms of life and sexuality, this movie seeks, like the original tale, to affirm binaries by insistence that there is genuine evil. I'm in type most of what I'm thinking mode today. And the main thing I thought through this was - okay, but move it along. For what it is - an 80s movie about the end of the world via alien psychic vampires - it is decent, but it adds no satirical punch or genuine take home messages. It's just lukewarm and can't stir a viewer either way. Another movie (in the grand majority) that can't connect the gap between fantastical story elements and relatable central themes/emotions.
puffchunk puffchunk
November 19, 2007
Pretty cool vampire zombie effects. Smoking hot alien chick. Pretty TERRIBLE dialog and acting. Especially the captain. "Why do i feel so close to you!?"
Dr Blood
June 23, 2007
It's got everything you could want from a horror movie - from zombies running amok in London to rotting corpses and energy bolts to signal the apocalypse to come.
Beefy Beefy
March 3, 2007
Great 80s special effects and a naked space vampiress trying to enslave the world. What more can you ask for?
alanjayh alanjayh
½ November 25, 2008
This movie starts with an interesting premise and some decent acting. However, the further the story evolves, its not the life being drained out of the characters by the space vampires, rather its the viewer who is being sucked dry. The film takes the premise too seriously and gets more and more muddled and nonsensical to the point where this viewer had enough. At least sexy Mathilda May walking around naked
half the time held my interest....
ethan k April 27, 2014
"She's perfect. I've been in space for six months." - something a man says while ogling a naked woman in this movie, which is the best movie
Anatoly S ½ March 28, 2014
A movie about space vampires(!) that tries too hard to imitate British monster movies. Too long and too convoluted to enjoy. About the only thing that stands out is that for a third of the flick the monster is a naked girl.
Josh H ½ October 17, 2013
It's really weird and REALLY doesn't hold up over time. So much of it doesn't make sense and is just really corny. Even with watching it with 1980s-colored glasses, it still wasn't very good.
Gregory C January 8, 2012
as spectacular as it is stupid and, boy oh boy, is it stupid! hot, bare-breasted, soul-sucking vampires from space. how could you go wrong?
Ken T July 2, 2011
Well, this was a "B" movie at it's finest. The strangest movie that I've seen in a long time...pass the dutchie one more time. The director should know that crack kills...
Bill B June 5, 2008
This is still a guilty pleasure.

Gorgeous naked vampire girl aside, this film features nothing but scenery chewing from all involved, and I was pretty disappointed with it when I re-watched it last night.

I think it's admirable that they tried some different takes on the vampire genre, but it just never seems to quite gel.

Rental at best.