—— Transcendence Apr 18

—— Warehouse 13: Season 5

Lights in the Dusk (Laitakaupungin valot) Reviews

Anthony L

November 18, 2011
Regret, loneliness, stubbornness..it's a wonder we all carry on. It's a wonder that Aki Kaurismäki caries on to be honest, as after watching the film I watched an interview with him that was a DVD extra and it sounds like every film he makes now is a real effort and he's totally lost his passion. Unfortunately it does show somewhat in Lights in the Dusk. Don't get me wrong though, it's a good film and easily one of his best looking films; never has a director made the ordinary look so colourful. This just isn't him at his best and I can only await Le Havre with nervous anticipation.
Stefanie C

October 31, 2010
An ironic, existential portrait of loneliness. From the start, Koistinen is painfully out of sync with his environment and ostracized by almost every person he encounters. The tight, lingering frame compositions, remarkably open and suggestive, emphasize this discordant, askew vision. Amidst this bleakness, hope triumphs in the final, life-affirming shot. A positive end to Kaurismaki's Loser Trilogy.
Ross C

June 10, 2007
A night-watchman with a simple, lonely life is framed by mobsters.

October 15, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]Written and directed by Aki Kaurismaki in a deadpan style, "Lights in the Dusk" is about lonely Koistinen(Janne Hyytiainen), who has worked as a security guard for the past three years. Despite having neither experience or money, he wants to open his own security firm. One day, into his life walks blonde Mirja(Maria Jarvenhelmi) and they go out on a date. He falls for her but has no idea of her ulterior motive. Nor does he question the possibility that she is quite frankly out of his league.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Considering "Lights in the Dusk" is centered around a heist, it should come as no surprise that none of the characters see working for a living as anything remotely honorable. Mirja is employed by Lindholm(Ilkka Koivula), a gangster, who looks down his nose at Koistenen while using him to get the security codes for a shopping mall that he regularly patrols. Mirja is torn but fears having to actually work in a regular job too much to stop.[/font]
skiproads
January 15, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Kaurismaki - if you know his work you will love this film. Great cinematography and of course a great soundtrack.
August 23, 2012
I really enjoyed 'The Man Without a Past' but this one left me cold. I guess you have to be Finnish to appreciate the humour in it. I just felt that it was a kind of reverse tourist feature, in that anyone seeing this would never visit Finland - or if they lived there, then leaving would be the only sane option. It kind of starts in a bad place and goes continuously downhill from there. I guess if you were feeling over-elated this might calm you down; otherwise, avoid.
December 11, 2010
El minimalismo y humor de Kaurismäki guardan algo especial.
December 9, 2010
Was glued to the screen till the very end of the movie.
Faroeislander
October 16, 2010
This is a sad and painful story. It's may be a bit slow, but in a good way as it gives you time to think.
Lysann
August 21, 2010
Watching this film hurts. It's pure pain - uncomfortable, deep, unbearable pain. Don't be mistaken - Kaurismäki didn't want to entertain you with black humour in this film, he didn't want to entertain you at all. He wants you to feel commiseration (a feeling we seem to have left behind in the 20th century). And he wants you to feel for one hour everything Koistinen feels in every minute of his life: loneliness, dissapointment and failure.
It is probably a movie you never want to watch again, but you should do it once and a while, just to remember how compassion feels.

October 15, 2008