Like Stars on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Like Stars on Earth Reviews

August 10, 2014
An extraordinary and magical film that should open the eyes of more and more people to a serious developmental disorder and the pain caused to many children who suffer from it - and it shows how sometimes it takes one person to care and make a difference in someone's life.
½ April 19, 2011
LIKE STARS ON EARTH: I remembered one reviewer stating they had tears of joy from this movie. They were right on... this is a beautiful film. There were a couple of quirky parts, but it fit well with the overall mood. Told through the eyes of a school age Indian boy, this Bollywood film addresses societies need to see each child as unique, and special. The superb acting by the main character Ishaan, with direction by Aamir Khan, makes the film uniquely superb.
August 3, 2010
Touching, Amazing, Extraordinary

By far the best Indian movie i have ever seen, A real cinematographic picture, something so heart warming that it will take you to cinem'extasy.

The movie is based on a 8 year old who suffers from ADD and dyslexia, unfortunately his parents dont see that, and come about the situation by taking him to boarding school. A mixture of "The Wall" in terms of Education and "Dead poets society" the movie is Beautiful

I was shocked to see an 8 year old act so well like Safary, the movie wraps up amazing actors, who are really realistic and have a sensibility. Although the 4 hour plot, not one bit will you be bored .

Amazing Soundtrack, and Scenery, this movie is by far one of the best movies in the education category, it will make you laugh and cry, and most important it will inspire you. So forget that all the Indian movies follow the Bollywood style, and take a chance, its about time we give these movies a chance, and as i did it, i dont regret one bit.

Ram Shankar Nikumbh: lf you fancy racing, breed racehorses, dammit, not children.
June 14, 2010
My favorite Bollywood movie is Lagaan: Once upon a Time in India. It's probably no coincidence that Aamir Khan also stars in that one. He is excellent. This one goes fairly light on the song, and especially on the dance, but it's still unmistakeably Bollywood. WIth great heart -- which is why I enjoy Lagaan so much. That's one thing that Bollywood sometimes seems to overlook -- the heart. Some productions are so overwhelmed by the singing and dancing that the heart often takes a back seat or falls out all together. But not here. I DO believe that every child is special, and I work with college students who live with the kinds of challenges Ishaan faces. It's good to see the heart of my life's work confirmed for me onscreen from time to time : )
½ May 18, 2009
Nice directorial debut, hats off to Aamir for this. Its quite a job to make this kind of movie in Bollywood without involving any unnecessary romantic tracks, even though as side-track.
November 29, 2010
This movie was unbearably long and had a lot of parts that were way too drawn out but it was very cute, unique, funny, and had a joyfully tearful ending. (My hubby was getting very teary eyed!) I like the story and it was very colorful and had fun music.
iLeo
January 6, 2008
An extraordinary movie that follows the struggles of a young boy unknowingly dealing with dyslexia, young Ishaan Awasthi has spent an entire year repeating the same grade and is not doing so well academically. Unlike him, his older brother Yohaan excels in all his schoolwork and this makes him feel even worse because his parents continuously berate him for his inabilities and erratic behavior. He finds solace in his love for art, and escapes into the leeway his imagination creates. After an incident at school, he is sent to a boarding school for discipline. Away from home and family, Ishaan becomes even more weary when he doesn't do so well at his new school. His confidence and will is shattered, and begins to lose interest until a new art teacher arrives. Ram Shankar Nikumbh instantly notices a despondent Ishaan, and discovers that Ishaan has all the symptoms of a learning disability that he himself dealt with as a child. His compassion, patience, and desire to help has enabled him to work with Ishaan using alternative methods of teaching. This enables Ishaan to regain his love for art, as well as bridging the differences in acceptance.
Great cast- Darsheel Safary, Aamir Khan, Tanay Chheda, Vipin Sharma, Tisca Chopra, and Sachet Engineer. Definitely worthy!
½ February 16, 2010
One of the better Bollywood movies I have seen. It does get a little preachy at times, but it is a sweet movie. Aamir Khan should be proud. (First and only viewing - 8/4/2014)
½ April 22, 2013
Pretty great movie. Very inspirational. I wish some teachers would care as much as the art teacher on the movie cared. The only flaw was that i couldn't understand what some people were saying, which made the movie pretty slow for me.
November 3, 2012
Watching the kid mope for half the movie was thoroughly unenjoyable, but, naturally, Aamir Khan saved the movie with his magnetic persona. He's quite the performer, and obviously a huge believer in human goodness, beyond the idealistic point, but he's always fun to watch.
½ May 5, 2012
I didn't like it as much as everyone else. It was a simple film, with a simple message and good intentions, and I thought it was good, but it didn't cut it for me. I think it was too simple for me; I also didn't like the style of the film that much- both of which are probably more of a problem with me than with the movie
½ February 12, 2012
absolutely fantastic. the only reason I'm taking half a star off is because I thought the writing got a tad preachy in a few places. other than that, this is just an outstanding story about recognizing the strength and potential in every child. parents, children, teachers....everyone has something to love and appreciate here. great music, great acting, thoroughly believable characters, cool special effects, and just an overall stirring and uplifting movie.
½ May 31, 2011
only loses a half a star for dragging some scenes too long, but AWESOME movie on dyslexia and other disorders
March 29, 2011
I can not explain how I liked this movie. Words are insufficient. Reminded me of my childhood and teachers supported me. All kids are shining stars in the night sky. Aamir Khan 's another great film !
February 19, 2011
I love this film It's very inspiring It's lets you know that behind any child there is a gifted treasure, so stop ruling them out when they act out. Find a way to help them spread their wings
½ July 25, 2010
Excellent film! As a school teacher, my heart poured out to the child facing a disability. Especially when no one had a clue what was causing the child to "act different."
July 5, 2010
A bit long (165 minutes), but it manages to convey a terrific message in the second part of the story. It's for both children & adults. "Every child is special" is the sub-title & this is key to the story. You must get past some abuse to fully understand the child's point of view. As to the music, I could have done without it, although it didn't detract from the story.
June 27, 2010
A very well made film. Being brought into the world of a family struggling to be successful, the viewer is quickly able to sympathize with the many conflicting goals of the characters. The story is well wrought and allows for each of the characters to develop throughout, leaving an incredibly inspirational discussion on the challenges of child raising and growing up in a competitive environment. Although the story uses the lens of an "abnormal" child, it very honestly captures the dangers of today's cut throat world that starts ever younger.

Cinematically, the use of music, oration, and visual depiction of abstract perceptions leads for a truly breathtaking experience. If the story wasn't enough to make this a tear jerker, surely, the well orchestrated use of sound and color, truly makes this movie depart from the standard of movie making today and brings it to an incredible height.

My only frustration with this film was the delay in my hearing of it and the lack of interest the film has generated. I imagine that the post production of this film could have been better managed internationally; however, the film itself remains flawless in my mind.
August 4, 2009
"Masterfully made with little to no faults, Taare Zameen Par is an emotional roller-coaster with a fantastic performances by the entire cast and a monumental directorial debut for Mr. Perfectionist Aamir Khan."
April 4, 2016
Inspiring movie to watch and one of the best movies I have ever watched.