The Limey Reviews

cosmo313
September 19, 2007
This is the classic revenge thriller, as tweaked by Steven Soderbergh.

Terence Stamp stars as WIlson, the titular character, who is a recently released career criminal who travels to Los Angeles to investigate the death of his estranged daughter, whom he is told died of mysterious circumstances. Besides being about a man who is out for straight up vengeance, and really not much more, it also touches upon the divide between old school criminals like Wilson, and their modern day counterparts.

The film is pretty clear cut, and Soderbergh is maybe one of the few directors who can really get away with such a basic, single minded premise with not much else backing it up. Even though the film doesn't have much depth to it, it oozes style, mood, and tone, and is really rather mesmerizing.

I also liked how the film is a meeting of two titans of 60s cinema, with the British Stamp going up against America's Peter Fonda as the shady record producer Valentine who was involved with Wilson's daughter, and is thus the prime suspect in her "accidental" death. Both are amazing, but this is easily Stamp's film through and through, and a real showcase for him. Luis Guzman is pretty terrific as Ed, an acquaintance of Wilson's daughter, and perhaps the only person he can trust. He's pretty much the guiding light here, as he;s the one who contacted Wilson about his daughter, and provides him basically everything he needs to complete his quest. Barry Newman is also pretty awesome as Avery, Valentine's chief of security. Nicky Katt also makes a brief appearance as a hitman associated with Avery, but he could have been used a little more. He's good for how much we get him, though.

Being a Soderbergh film, it's got a great amount of style, slick production values, and is shot masterfully. Some of the proceedings get rather dark and intense, but thankfully there's a nice undercurrent of sly humor. One of the coolest things going on here is the creative integration of footage from an old Stamp film from the 60s as bits of flashback sequences.

This really isn't a deep film, and while it is pretty cut and dried, and just a variation on a theme, it's somehow gets a pass because Soderbergh just has this touch that elevates even the most unoriginal concept into something fresh and entertaining.
½ February 19, 2013
If it weren't for the assured direction of Soderbergh, 'The Limey' would be a simply forgettable film. In a way, it kind of is. Stamp's performance is a little sketchy and the script a little rugged, but Soderbergh's thriller has a tasteful touch of noir that does it a solid amount of good.
September 6, 2010
I rarely like these new stylistic thrillers from directors like Soderbergh, but this had a great story and great actors starring in it. I should watch it again soon.
September 14, 2012
The more Soderbergh I see, the less I like him, but I thought this film had a lot going for it. One trick did drive me nuts, though: the edits in which we hear the characters talking while we look at their faces with their mouths not moving. I can see the technical point he might have been trying to make - who says the audio and video have to sync up? - but I don't see what it adds to this particular story, a simple one about a father seeking revenge for his daughter's death. I did, however, enjoy seeing Peter Fonda and Terence Stamp for the first time in decades, and as a straight-ahead noir piece, it's a decent enough flick.
½ October 27, 2011
A minor work for Soderbergh but still a well crafted, entertaining one.
September 25, 2009
A very cool homage to the stylish thrillers of the late 60?s. Fonda and Stamp are great in it but for me Barry Newman stole the show with his car chase, a salute to his role in Vanishing Point. One of my more favourite Steven Soderbergh films.
November 1, 2006
Tell me...tell me...tell me about Jenny. That quote is the heart of this story. It's not just a simple revenge thriller. I also loved the discontinuous editing style that grabbed your attention right from the beginning.
arashxak
June 12, 2008
Not your typical revenge flick, I liked it specially its ending
May 30, 2006
Wilson: You tell him, you tell him I'm coming. Tell him I'm fucking coming!

Very cool revenge movie, with a distinct editing style.

Terence Stamp, best known as General Zod from Superman II, stars as Wilson, a career criminal, recently released from jail, and has come to America to find out why his daughter has died, believing it to be more than an accident. Stamp is great as an old man who has done his share of things in the past and is gonna do some more things before his time is up.

Wilson: Can't be too careful nowadays, y'know? Lot of "tea leaves" about, know what I mean?
Warehouse Foreman: Excuse me?
Wilson: Tea leaves... thieves.

The film also plays up his cockney accent, which, to me, is all kinds of cool.

Ed: Do you understand half the shit he says?
Elaine: No, but I know what he means.

Peter Fonda is also here as Stamp's opposite and it's fun to see his reactions to this situations. He and his business are not used to dealing with this kind of stuff, so their reactions all seem very natural and real.

The film also stars Luis Guzman as a friend of Wilson's daughter, who helps Wilson out, Barry Newman as Fonda's security adviser, Leslie Ann Warren as another former friend of Wilson's daughter, and Nicky Katt as a hitman.

I pointed out the editing earlier, and it really elevates a standard revenge plot into a more cinematically entertaining experience. Director Stephen Soderbergh once again tries to experiment with his film for the better. It can be too different for some, but once you get into it, you can really enjoy it more.

The soundtrack is also very classy and cool, with some classic rock mixed with a dark instrumental beat. There are also flashback scenes, using footage from one of Terence Stamp's earlier movies that blend very well into this movie, and that's pretty neat.

The story is also made better by both Stamp and Fonda being given a number of moments to reflect on their lives and how they have developed into what they are currently, based on better times they have had in the past.

Its a simple story made better by its style and actors.

Wilson: Bide your time. That's what prison teaches you, if nothing else. Bide your time, and everything becomes clear, and you can act accordingly.
May 28, 2007
Terence Stamp as Brit coming to the USA to avenge his daughter's death. While some of the editing and music choices remind of Steven Soderbergh other movies this still feels somewhat different. At times it seems to mistake cool with indifferent and calm with not engaging enough. That's not to say this thriller isn't interesting or not worth a look, it's simply not entirely en par with Out of Sight or Traffic and leaves the audience strangely indifferent. The ending is pretty good though.
January 27, 2008
Slow film, with a noveleque story which flows through a father and gansters life. Entertaining.
October 23, 2007
One of Soderbergh's best. Stylish and cool, with a great performance from Terence Stamp.
November 21, 2006
A little overdone on the cockney rhymming slang I think, maybe this would have happened if he was speaking with someone in London, but I think the film pushed it slightly a little too much. Having said that I think Terrance Stamp looked good as a villain and the point of the film as a revenge plot was a great potential for a film, but found the film a bit of an anti-climax

VERDICT: Watchable but not brillient
Cinema-Maniac
August 24, 2012
I want to start off by saying that this is my first time watching a movie directed Steven Soderbergh and I decided to watch it because the titled sounded interesting. While not as bloodthirsty as Liam Neeson in Taken, I found it just as good.

The Limey is basically about a Englishman who goes to Los Angeles to avenge his daughter. It reminisces of Taken in which you got an old man wanting revenge, except Terence Stamp is not as well trained in the art of killing. Though he does make his presence well known with his coolness and showcasing no sign of sympathy for killing. Stamp might not kill as much as Neeson, but he certainly fun to watch. Trust me when I say that Terence Stamp is more entertaining killing a few people than Steven Seagal killing dozens of henchmen. He also looks cool doing it despite the fact the movie never shows us. The plot is well put together and the editing gives it a cool style and sometimes plays with your head. There certainly enough twist and smart writing to keep you engage, but familiarization with these kind of movies might hurt the experience for some. It's still nonetheless an exciting thriller with an emotional edge with some good humor sometime lacking from these kind of films. Nearly everything overshadows the plot, the cast which is well put together are all very memorable in their roles. The cinematography at times is amazing with a cool soundtrack. This is a thriller done right, might be a little slow for some, but it's a great watch.

The Limey is a great film by director Steven Soderbergh who got me curious about his other films. Sure this kind of movie has been done before, but this one benefits from a great production and cast that helps stand above from others like it.
stevetheman1236
August 15, 2011
An exceptionally well-made revenge-thriller. The only thing better than its attractive performances is Soderbergh's fabulous direction. There is a great shot at the beginning where the camera pans to the right as a plane flies through the air and we come to stop on Terence Stamp walking to his motel room. It's a wonderful shot.
May 31, 2010
Bow before Zod. Oops. Wrong film. Stamp is fabulous in this great film noir. Lots came out at the time period but I haven't seen a good gangster flick in awhile. Shame.
January 3, 2010
This is the work of a fine craftsman and artist. Soderbergh delivers a cinematically outstanding film about revenge which notably includes a mesmerizing performance by Terence Stamp. Worth watching!
lesleyanorton
May 1, 2009
Another Mr Cool.
TELL 'EM I'M COMIN' !!
½ December 18, 2006
Stamp elevates otherwise unremarkable revenge drama.
November 29, 2011