• The Limey

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Limey Reviews

July 15, 2014
Great early movie by Soderbergh whose creative storytelling and editing choices really keep you on your toes as you watch. Stamp is incredible as the father out for revenge.
September 14, 2013
A very good, high-quality film with a simple but strong plot and story, great characters and acting, and very good cinematography. The setting is fantastic, and the movie has a very good atomosphere that's hard to explain but very good (moody maybe and dreamy). The direction is very good - the flashback thingy is a bit confusing, but also innovative. I like these kind of movies - they tell one personal story eschewing the complicated spectacle of many other films. Overall, a solid film that's a good watch and well-acted.
April 22, 2012
I always enjoy seeing this film. It's a bit of dark comedy to me.
February 16, 2014
The Limey struck me as interesting because it was done ten years after Soderbergh directed, or released Sex, Lies, and Videotape which is the better film by a long shot. The Limey was a struggle for me to get through. The characters were under developed and the story was flat boring. The dialog was something id expect from a highschooler who strives to be Tarantino. It was god awful. However on the other hand all of this is a good thing for me to see because as I watch I am noticing things that are problematic with my own projects. When scenes are done so many times and you mix and match performances of various takes with a single actor in the scene you must splice them together, I was very aware of this while watching the Limey and while at first glance it may appear to be a creative choice, I fear that no it isn't, its truly just making due with what you have.
The music by Cliff Martinez was the reason I decided to watch the film in the first place and then I discovered it was a Soderbergh film. I was pleasantly surprised but quickly lost interest at the film began but continued to the end. Its nice to see this project and to know that within the next few years the artist would make Traffic and Erin Bronkovich. Good job Steven.
November 19, 2013
Terrence Stamp is amazing in this slickly edited and wonderfully written film.
November 6, 2013
Like the very best of Steven Soderbergh, "The Limey" is a magnificent cinematic exercise, all the more frustrating for the script's thin third act when it's SO CLOSE to being perfect. Where Paul Thomas Anderson tries time and again to ape his stylistic masters (and time and again generally does) Soderbergh is more akin to someone like Quentin Tarantino in the way he structures narratives as conceptual games, of red herrings, show-stealing supporting characters, brilliantly choppy editing and razor-sharp dark comedy. "The Limey" bites off just enough as it can effectively chew, a playfully grim and aesthetically dazzling noir that's also ultimately a rather lyrical treatise -- however slight -- on age, relationships and life on the outside. It's all very professionally done, when in actuality its final note of sentiment toward its protagonist is anything but ordinary.
October 22, 2013
Arguably Soderbergh's best film.
September 5, 2012
Fantastic neo-noir revenge drama with electrifying stylistic direction from Soderbergh and a gripping performance from Terence Stamp.
September 21, 2007
Between a 7/10 and 8/10, this intelligent, oddly aloof thriller is a worthy follow-up to director Steven Soderberg's "Out of Sight."
May 22, 2013
Esta es de las mejores películas que he visto en los últimos meses. Íntima, melancólica, bien narrada, atrapante, contundente y con grandes actores. Solo puedo decir: Gracias una vez más, Steven Soderbergh.
June 26, 2013
Unlike most style-over substance films, this one doesn't shy away from substance.
June 17, 2013
I mostly gave this 3 stars because of Terence Stamp, he plays an old bad ass British gangster/ex-con/father very well and the story, though fairly simple is interesting enough. I was thinking of giving it a slightly less 2.5 stars because there was some interesting and weird directing and editing, a lot of it I felt didn't work and was just trying too hard to be artistic/unique, but it had it's moments. I also did not like several of the supporting cast choices, the bad comedic parts by them were too cheesy and ruined the mood of the film.
June 2, 2013
Steven Soderbergh decide de faire un revenge movie. C'est evidemment tout le contraire de ce a quoi on pouvait s'attendre. Sa structure tres particuliere et sa mise en scene parfait en font un must-see instantane. Les 20 premieres minutes sont parfaites, avant que le scenario de Lem Dobbs se mette a tourner quelque peu en rond. Mais qu'importe, tant Terence Stamp, Luis Guzman et Peter Fonda sont excellents.
cosmo313
cosmo313

September 19, 2007
This is the classic revenge thriller, as tweaked by Steven Soderbergh.

Terence Stamp stars as WIlson, the titular character, who is a recently released career criminal who travels to Los Angeles to investigate the death of his estranged daughter, whom he is told died of mysterious circumstances. Besides being about a man who is out for straight up vengeance, and really not much more, it also touches upon the divide between old school criminals like Wilson, and their modern day counterparts.

The film is pretty clear cut, and Soderbergh is maybe one of the few directors who can really get away with such a basic, single minded premise with not much else backing it up. Even though the film doesn't have much depth to it, it oozes style, mood, and tone, and is really rather mesmerizing.

I also liked how the film is a meeting of two titans of 60s cinema, with the British Stamp going up against America's Peter Fonda as the shady record producer Valentine who was involved with Wilson's daughter, and is thus the prime suspect in her "accidental" death. Both are amazing, but this is easily Stamp's film through and through, and a real showcase for him. Luis Guzman is pretty terrific as Ed, an acquaintance of Wilson's daughter, and perhaps the only person he can trust. He's pretty much the guiding light here, as he;s the one who contacted Wilson about his daughter, and provides him basically everything he needs to complete his quest. Barry Newman is also pretty awesome as Avery, Valentine's chief of security. Nicky Katt also makes a brief appearance as a hitman associated with Avery, but he could have been used a little more. He's good for how much we get him, though.

Being a Soderbergh film, it's got a great amount of style, slick production values, and is shot masterfully. Some of the proceedings get rather dark and intense, but thankfully there's a nice undercurrent of sly humor. One of the coolest things going on here is the creative integration of footage from an old Stamp film from the 60s as bits of flashback sequences.

This really isn't a deep film, and while it is pretty cut and dried, and just a variation on a theme, it's somehow gets a pass because Soderbergh just has this touch that elevates even the most unoriginal concept into something fresh and entertaining.
May 7, 2013
While there is nothing very original about the plot itself, Soderbergh engages the audience visually and gives it a style that is aesthetically appealing in a neo-noir sense, adding a unique twist of danger and unpredictability but also deepening the psychological aspect of the main character, masterly portrayed by Terence Stamp in arguably one of his best performances ever.
March 7, 2013
The storytelling technique and supporting cast are more interesting than anything the protagonist says or does.
April 18, 2013
Starts out strong but lost my interest after the first 15 minutes and only half-picked up it's speed at the end. This is a "nothing" movie that you forget about the second it's over and it is quite literally the dullest revenge film I've seen. The "cockney" accent Stamp uses is so fake and the disjointed flashback editing style is more frustrating than innovative.
August 23, 2011
Some may find fault with the jump cuts, but this is a pretty cool crime drama from Steven Soderbergh. Terence Stamp is perfectly cast in the lead role and has some terrific moments throughout. Great work as well from Peter Fonda and Barry Newman.
October 23, 2012
A dream-like, non-linear revenge drama, centered on well-acted characters, fragmented chronology, sunny locales, and an undercurrent of melancholy. Terrence Stamp gives a ferocious, funny, stark, and empathetic performance.