• Directed By:
    Steven Spielberg
    In Theaters:
    Nov 16, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    Mar 26, 2013
  • Dreamworks Pictures

Tony Medley is a moron

How does this guy even get on RT? I understand not liking a film, but 0/10 is just ridiculous.
Thaddeus Venture
11-10-2012 11:33 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

jeff s.

jeff stintson

I think the sensitive subject matter of the film automatically "colors" the perception of its worth as a film. Its very entanglement of the subject with the actual film is sometimes difficult for some viewers or critics to separate.

I would give it a 0 because the acting, script & historical "whitewashing". Gore videl's book on the subject would serve well the people that thought the movie was great.

Dec 29 - 07:06 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

you are a fucking idiot, it 100% portrays lincoln's last months. Did he see black as equal before? no. However, when the movie takes place Lincoln was a warrior against slavery and dropped all ideas of the Liberia plan. Plus you said you walked out 15 minutes in, you did know how Lincoln himself acknowledges his former apathy for emancipation

Jan 2 - 03:45 PM

Rich Gehring Jr.

Rich Gehring Jr.

I generally think you curse too much in your posts but after reading Jeff Stintson's idiotic drivel this particular one is lacking a few f-bombs, I applaud your restraint.

Jan 24 - 04:07 PM

Josh Brennand

Josh Brennand

The loser is just trolling and it worked because it got me fired up.

Nov 26 - 11:32 PM

Connie Deedrick

Connie Deedrick

10/10 I meant to say

Nov 23 - 08:13 AM

Kenny Bierschenk

Kenny Bierschenk

P.S. -- Tony Medley -- if you're either so stupid, or ignorant about what a movie is, to give this film a zero rating -- why are you a movie reviewer? Go round up carts in a WalMart parking lot for a living, at least then your efforts would have value for others. Unless you're reviewing "Plan 9 From Outer Space" or "Barbarella", giving a movie a zero basically tells us that you don't have any intention of making your review worth anything to anyone -- so why bother doing it?

Nov 19 - 10:15 PM

Kenny Bierschenk

Kenny Bierschenk

There are MANY aspects to the film -- maybe he didn't like it for the many parts of history that are omitted -- the basic plotline in this film covers a very limited time period late in Lincoln's life. BUT, you CAN'T legitimately give a 0/10 score unless the movie fails in every respect. Was it historically accurate? YES! Was the quality of photography, costuming, lighting, etc etc all exceptionally well done? YES! And, without even going into whether Tommy Lee Jones, Hal Holbrook, Sally Field and every other supporting actor did an adequate job or not -- you have to give Daniel Day-Lewis a nod for accomplishing something rare in movies -- he didn't simply portray Lincoln or act out some of Lincoln's mannerisms or quote his speeches -- DDL BECAME Lincoln before our very eyes. Watching this movie was like sitting in the theater & having Lincoln himself walk in there & speak to us -- the movie audience I saw it was enthralled, speechless, pin-drop quiet every time Lincoln took center stage in a scene. For that reason alone, all politics and history aside, the film is a major accomplishment.

Nov 19 - 10:10 PM

Master Christopher

Master Christopher

It's a free country. Every man has the right to make a fool of himself, including Tony Medley. The world needs film critics like him, if only to prove to people that it is not a job for people with atrophied attention spans. Then again, he is entitled to his own opinion.

Nov 18 - 03:23 PM

Mark Seager

Mark Seager

The fact that this movie is generating "buzz" tells me its most probably a movie worth watching. Coupled with the fact that RT subscribers are giving it 85% - me and my 10 y/o are going to the 1:00 p.m show. Can't wait.

Nov 17 - 06:46 AM

Eric Youngstrom

Eric Youngstrom

Agreed TV, Tony is a twit and even that is being kind.

Nov 16 - 07:33 PM

Rhoneil Pascual

Rhoneil Pascual

Who the hell is Tony Medley to begin with? Oh! I see. Well,who was the moron that let him in at RT?

Nov 15 - 11:44 AM

Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

They'll let anybody review this movie huh?

Nov 12 - 07:24 AM

Observation 99

Observation 99

"Historically laughable" and boring?

Can't help but note, this coming from the guy whose idea of a "brilliant" 10/10 political movie is conspiracy headhunting on president Obama? (While even the other fresh votes on "Obama's America", save for one, just said it was at least somewhat entertaining and/or vaguely helpful as food for thought.)

Nov 11 - 09:07 PM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Don't forget the masterpiece that was Tower Heist(even though I somewhat enjoyed it) that he gave a 10/10 too.

Nov 12 - 05:35 AM

Observation 99

Observation 99

True, although a weird sense of humor is a different issue and probably more forgivable. His reviews on these political dramas just make this guy seem like a whacked know-it-all in the style of Armond White.

Nov 13 - 11:46 AM

CherryPop

Cherry Pop

10/10? You're kidding.

Nov 16 - 11:21 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

"this could be most boring film ever made" - Tony Medley

Troll much?

Nov 11 - 11:10 AM

Joseph Minardi

Joseph Minardi

Agreed. Was he expecting more car crashes? Tony Medley is a disgrace.

Nov 10 - 09:39 PM

Michele Beley-Jaber

Michele Beley-Jaber

and Dustin Putnam

Nov 10 - 04:05 PM

Burning Refuse

Burning Refuse

Agreed. I can understand a critic not enjoying the moving in general or finding fault with historical facts and such, but really, a 0/10? One would think Daniel Day-Lewis's performance would at least garner a 1/10. Or even a 1/10 for effort.

0/10 is pretty much pure disrespect for the material and film in general. Even one can argue that The Human Centipede 2 would deserve at least a 1/10 for managing to provoke disgust in audiences using beyond-extreme themes. What the hell is 0/10 supposed to stand for exactly, when many other critics praise the film Lincoln one way or another even while finding flaws in some areas?

It just seems extremely lazy and sloppy on Tony Medley's end.

Nov 10 - 03:56 PM

Samuel Wolfe

Samuel Wolfe

I agree. A 0/10 sounds like something you would hear a middle schooler say.

Nov 20 - 12:40 PM

Ezra Hsieh

Ezra Hsieh

Agree.

Nov 10 - 03:32 PM

Amber Branson

Amber Branson

This is why I never listen to RT. I just come to the site to check out what movies came out this weekend. The critics on here are ridiculous. If your a person who hates history you won't like the movie and will fall asleep. If the movies not for you then don't see it. I loved it but I also love history. Most history movies are slow so that part really wasn't a surprise.

Nov 10 - 12:57 PM

hansolo64

Yodaman Solo

Yup! If you love history then it's the movie for you. History isn't one of my fave genres for movies but I will definitely see it and keep an open mind. This reviewer obviously couldn't keep an open mind and just review the film for what it was and score it fairly for all it's aspects of film making. It can't be as bad as 0/10. lol!

Nov 12 - 12:29 PM

A

A S

Agreed.

I am not a big fan of history, but I love DDL so yeah, still gonna watch it and try to enjoy it. And also the man who gave this 0/10 was obviously trolling.

Nov 15 - 11:34 PM

Amber Branson

Amber Branson

Movies like Twilight should get a 0/10. I feel Spielberg did his best on Lincoln. I feel critics just like to be different from everyone else just to make them seem smarter and get people to pay attention to them. Not all critics are that way but I definitely make a mental note of which ones to ignore.

Nov 25 - 09:27 PM

Rami Nawfal

Rami Nawfal

I agree.

Nov 10 - 12:54 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile