2013 Academy Awards Nominations

Summary

Nominations for the 85th Academy Awards® were announced by the show's host, Seth MacFarlane, and actress Emma Stone on Thursday, January 10. This was the first time since 1972 that an Oscar show host has participated in the nominations announcement. Back to Article

Comments

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I agree. The Hobbit was possibly my favorite movie of the year. It's highly underrated.

Jan 10 - 12:13 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Where is Leo? Where is QT for Best Director? FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Jan 10 - 12:15 PM

Terry McBeer

Terry McBeer

I was prepared to be all filled with hate at the movies nominated, but the only place I'm kind of stunned is that Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director. Other than that I think they got it pretty spot on.

Jan 10 - 12:17 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Pleased with: 5 nominations for Skyfall, including Cinematography and Original Score, Wreck-It Ralph getting a nomination for Animated Feature Film.

Disappointed with: No acting nods for Javier Bardem and Judi Dench for Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises not getting a single nomination. Also curious as to why Ben Affleck and Tarantino were snubbed for Director?

Decent list of nominations this year, certainly better than last year, but they missed a few.

Jan 10 - 12:17 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

How Saving Private Ryan didn't win is beyond me... disgraceful.

Jan 10 - 12:18 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

How PLEASANTVILLE wasn't even nominated is beyond me; that was the best movie of 1998, hands down.

Jan 13 - 11:12 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

My advice: watch more movies. The Hobbit didn't even crack my top 10 of the year... and there are still 4 or 5 movies I didn't get to see that I am positive are better than The Hobbit.

Jan 10 - 12:19 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

PFFFT, Arkin is favored to win it dude.

Jan 10 - 12:24 PM

ninja13

daniel metzger

No Martin Freeman? Oh right....this is the oscars.

Jan 10 - 12:29 PM

Daniel Menendez

Daniel Menendez

Maggie Smith (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) over Jacki Weaver. Ben Affleck over Ben Zeitlin. John Hawkes over Jaoquin Phoenix. I know Phoenix was spectacular, but he's made it very clear that he doesn't want any nominations. There are people who would kill for this nomination and if you can't respect the honor, you don't deserve it.

Jan 10 - 12:37 PM

Ivan Cheung

Ivan Cheung

also Leo was the main actor in all 5 best pic nominees. Django brings his total to 6

Jan 10 - 01:00 PM

Joel Graham

Joel Graham

Everything in the noms is "ok" but not great except for one thing... David O. Russell for best director. WTF is wrong with these people.

Jan 10 - 01:00 PM

Ivan Cheung

Ivan Cheung

in terms of film making skills Silver lining's Playbook was the weakest of the best pic nominees.

Jan 10 - 01:02 PM

Ben Venidos

Ben Venidos

Are there ZERO nominations for The Dark Knight Rises??? I know it's not as good as TDK, but not even a Visual Effects nomination?!!? And just one nomination for THE AVENGERS?!!? WTF?!!? And why is there no love in the directors category for Ben Affleck, Kate Bigelow, or Tom Hooper?

Jan 10 - 01:03 PM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Only one nomination for Moonrise? WTF!!!!!!!!!! I feel like it's being totally ignored this season! At least it might win in the ONE CATEGORY it's nominated in. God......

Jan 10 - 01:10 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I find it interesting how people want an actor / actresss or film nominated when a great portion of the users hadn't even seen the other films that did get the nomination- I'll be lucky to see "Amour" before the Oscars started!

Jan 10 - 01:10 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Some of the users said "The Town" has similarities to "Heat" directed by Michael Mann!

Jan 10 - 01:13 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Have you seen BEASTS? It's phenomenal!

Jan 10 - 01:21 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Meh

Jan 10 - 05:00 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Gage I've seen you post in a lot of threads and have thought "Man I don't think I've ever agreed with this guy" but Meh on BEASTS is the most agreeable thing I've read all day. It's like the biggest MEH film of the year!

Jan 11 - 08:06 PM

Timothy Bridge

Timothy Bridge

I'd put Paul Thomas Anderson as a bigger snub than Wes Anderson for Best Director.

Jan 10 - 01:21 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday